Margaret attwood

(114 Posts)
marissab Thu 25-Apr-13 17:54:09

I adore handmaids tale. I love the futuristic 1984-ish bleak future themes. Are her other books along the same themes? I don't know whether they'll live up to HMT.

chibi Thu 25-Apr-13 20:18:31

she is my hands down favourite author

Bunbaker Thu 25-Apr-13 20:20:27

I have tried really hard to like her books but have found them rather depressing.

JoyceDivision Thu 25-Apr-13 20:22:02

I love alias grace! HMT tho, chilling!

Angela Carter isvery good. i read The Magic Toyshop for my 6th form english and absolutely loved it.

I think my biggest problem with her is that she lets her seeming disliking of men get in the way of her stories, so the point becomes more important to her than the telling of a decent story. I felt this particularly strongly in, 'Alias Grace' iirc.

marissab Thu 25-Apr-13 20:24:36

Oh i prefer depressing so it's looking good that she's gonna be top of my list. I am definately gonna read some of her others now. Infact if she's so great, i'm embarressed i've not read more before now blush HMT is in my top 5 best books ever. Right up there with 1984 and better than brave new world. Love love love it.

kneedeepindaisies Thu 25-Apr-13 20:26:01

Another recommendation for Alias Grace. I've lost my copy but this thread has prompted me to buy it again.

Bunbaker Thu 25-Apr-13 20:26:36

I agree Remus

BaconAndAvocado Thu 25-Apr-13 20:37:32

Cat's Eye is my fave of MA's. The way she depicts bullying is compelling.

Handmaid's Tale is my fave sci-di novel.

AnyFucker Thu 25-Apr-13 21:00:57

Remus you have it wrong

She is a critiquer du royale of men, but i don't think she "dislikes" them

if she makes you feel a bit uncomfortable, then she is doing something right, you see smile

AnyFucker Thu 25-Apr-13 21:03:15

Bun The Handmaid's Tale is depressing.

But Margaret Atwood foresaw the way women would become the "sex class" in her novel, and there are many parallels in today's society

And yes, it is uncomfortable to comprehend. It doesn't make it any less relevant, or any less so fucking clever though

She doesn't make me feel uncomfortable at all though - she just annoys me a bit.

AnyFucker Thu 25-Apr-13 21:05:17

Why ? Because she nails it so smoothly, elegantly and efficiently ?

Yes, that can be annoying, I guess.

Lazyjaney Thu 25-Apr-13 21:13:04

Love The Penelopiad - looks at Penelope's life maintaining a kingdom while Odysseus was away. Short book too, double bonus.

Nope - you won't convince me. At her best (ie HMT) I think she is sublime - I just don't think she is always at her best.

AnyFucker Thu 25-Apr-13 21:29:56

You are entitled to your opinion smile

CoteDAzur Thu 25-Apr-13 21:43:46

Ian McEwan annoys Remus, too. Maybe I should read some Margaret Attwood wink

CoteDAzur Thu 25-Apr-13 21:44:36

Oh and what does "critiquer du royale" mean? grin

AnyFucker Thu 25-Apr-13 21:46:10

I made it up, cote

You have a problem with that ? grin

CoteDAzur Thu 25-Apr-13 21:53:26

No problem, just funny grin

AnyFucker Thu 25-Apr-13 21:56:26

grin

Have you not read The Handmaid's Tale, Cote? I think you'd like it.

MrsHoarder Thu 25-Apr-13 22:02:01

I do like The Penelopiad. Think its my favourite (although my first was HMT of course). Cats Eyes made the most uncomfortable reading for me.

CoteDAzur Thu 25-Apr-13 22:03:10

DH makes up phrases like that, and he has been living here for 10 years. Your "critiquer" illustrates one of funnier mistakes: In French, -er at the end of a verb makes it infinitive. Aller (to go), manger (to eat), critiqued (to critique).

You should see waiters cringe as he tries to order something from the menu grin

AnyFucker Thu 25-Apr-13 22:05:04

Oh dear smile blush

CoteDAzur Thu 25-Apr-13 22:05:46

No, I haven't read HMT. I read a bit about it and thought I wouldn't like it. I generally don't like books written by women, and among those hold a special distrust for the ones about feminist issues.

Do you really think I would like it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now