C J Sanson

(8 Posts)
alemci Sun 21-Apr-13 20:33:36

Does anyone else enjoy reading his books. I have loved reading them and am currently reading Dominion. It is very dark but an interesting concept.

The Matthew Shardlake series was also very interesting.

sarahandemily Sun 21-Apr-13 20:39:30

I love the Shardlake series in his other one (winter in Madrid or something). The only thing I find vaguely annoying is that they always refer back to previous books without fully explaining themselves and I can never bloody remember exactly what they are talking about. What's this dominion thing? I'm in need of something good to read at the moment.

lilyfire Sun 21-Apr-13 22:51:35

I'm reading Dominion too at the moment and really enjoying it - although I loved the Shardlake books a lot and was a bit cross when I found out he'd written a non-Shardlake book, because I really wanted another one and thought he should have been spending his time writing it. I'm not usually a historical detective novel person so was surprised to enjoy Shardlake so much. I'm enjoying Dominion in a different way - not so much unputdownable, but very interested to see where he'll go with the idea. I tried Winter in Madrid and didn't really take to it, but I really didn't try very hard, so maybe need to go back to it. Any advice on that?

alemci Mon 22-Apr-13 16:52:13

Yes, you will need to persevere with WIM. I think it does take some getting into.

My mum didn't like Dominion because she was born in the war and couldn't bear to read it.

It reminds me of 1984 with the imagery.

I am halfway through Dominion and it is depressing so I hope it does have a good ending but a very original idea.

I live near the places he refers to so I wonder if he was brought up in the North West London.

I loved Shardlake and I really hope he comes back.

juneau Mon 22-Apr-13 16:59:42

I loved Winter in Madrid, but I didn't really get into the Tudor ones. Might try Dominion when it comes out in paperback.

TunipTheVegedude Mon 22-Apr-13 22:52:42

I've read two Shardlake ones, loved them except for the howlers like not knowing the difference between a pike and a halberd. I love his research.

lilyfire Mon 22-Apr-13 23:06:23

That's helpful - I'll try WIM again.
Dominion reminds me of 1984 too.

squoosh Tue 23-Apr-13 23:27:07

God I love the Shardlake books SO MUCH. Like lilyfire I was annoyed to see he'd written a non Shardlake one. He'd better be back at his desk writing one right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now