Novels with a gardening theme?

(24 Posts)
tripfiction Tue 16-Apr-13 17:04:15

We have been asked to pull together novels with a gardening theme, (and this might be a bit far out, but specifically mentioning the Chelsea Flower Show?). Can anyone suggest any books? We are also hoping to write a blogpost along the lines of "novels for gardeners" - particularly if the novel is strong on location. All suggestions welcome! Thank you. Tina@Tripfiction

TunipTheVegedude Tue 16-Apr-13 17:05:10

the classic 'Elizabeth and her German garden' by Elizabeth von Arnim

TunipTheVegedude Tue 16-Apr-13 17:07:06

The Secret Garden, of course (children's)

Philippa Gregory's two historical novels about the Tradescants: Earthly Joys and Virgin Earth

TunipTheVegedude Tue 16-Apr-13 17:17:04

Another children's one: The Revenge of Samuel Stokes, by Penelope Lively (housing estate is built on site of an eighteenth century landscaped garden, so the designer comes back as a ghost to wreak havoc on the new houses)

tripfiction Tue 16-Apr-13 17:23:24

Hey, everyone, thank you so much. GREAT suggestions, do keep them coming!!

NuhichNuhaymuh Tue 16-Apr-13 17:29:27

Alan Titmarsh is a novelist, read one of his books. (all very chick lit) fairly sure there was a flower show in it. will google and come back to you

DuchessofMalfi Tue 16-Apr-13 17:36:04

Wild Designs by Katie Fforde. One of her gentle, witty romantic novels, set partially at The Chelsea Flower Show.

NuhichNuhaymuh Tue 16-Apr-13 17:38:48

it was "Mr MacGregor" and I'm fairly certain the chelsea flower show is part of it.

tripfiction Tue 16-Apr-13 18:30:29

THANK YOU all wonderful readers! Wow, never thought I would actually find something with the CFS in it! Terrific stuff!

Clawdy Tue 16-Apr-13 21:51:44

Consider The Lily by Elizabeth Buchan. Interesting romantic read with strong gardening theme throughout.

Colyngbourne Wed 17-Apr-13 09:09:43

In Cold Domain, by Anne Fine: a controlling mother exhibits some of her control/responses to her children via her approach to her garden.

Beverley Nichols wrote "garden" books which weren't fiction but more "tales of a gardener" - Down the Garden Path; A Thatched Roof;
A Village in a Valley; How Does Your Garden Grow? ; Green Grows the City; Merry Hall; Laughter on the Stairs; Sunlight on the Lawn; Garden Open Today; Forty Favourite Flowers; Garden Open Tomorrow

tripfiction Sun 19-May-13 14:13:03

Thank you to everyone who contributed their thoughts on this thread.
Here is the result to mark 100 years of The Chelsea Flower Show and please feel free to add any further books you have come across. It would be fabulous to build a comprehensive list with everyone adding their contributions!
tripfiction.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/novels-with-a-gardening-theme.html

yousankmybattleship Sun 19-May-13 14:19:22

Lady Chatterley's Lover?

That's more about her lady garden though!

DuchessofMalfi Sun 19-May-13 14:35:21

Great list - I hadn't heard of the two by Philippa Gregory. I think I'll tell DH about these. He's a gardener smile

tripfiction Sun 19-May-13 15:01:15

smile thank you yousankmybattleship - it is literally YEARS since I read Lady C and her lady garden!

LatinForTelly Sun 19-May-13 15:01:28

Rose Tremain's Trespass also has gardening (in France) as a sort of background theme.

tripfiction Sun 19-May-13 17:26:26

Thank you LatinForTelly!

ImogenS Fri 31-May-13 06:47:45

Has to be The Mulberry Tree by George Mournehis - It's about the restorative effect of gardening, and follows the adventures of a reluctant gardener and the strange and quirky characters he encounters on an allotment. Really good read, beautifully written and great characters - highly recommend.

Imogen

tripfiction Fri 31-May-13 09:34:52

THANK YOU ImogenS!

Louise1956 Tue 04-Jun-13 23:02:49

The Garden Plot by J.S Borthwick is a murder mystery set on a tour of famous gardens in England, France and Italy. gardens are quite well described.

tripfiction Wed 05-Jun-13 14:50:11

Wow, another great suggestion. Thank you Louise1956!

piprabbit Wed 05-Jun-13 14:56:40

Mrs Fytton's Country Life by Mavis Cheek has a proper country garden in it.

UndineSpragg Thu 06-Jun-13 19:31:17

It's a novella rather than a novel, but 'Garden Guerrillas' by Jane Stevenson, in her collection Good Women. It's about a gardening-obsessed widow being forced out of her Kew home by her selfish son and DiL, and who wreaks revenge via the garden, while making a new life (and garden) for herself. Very black humour and lots of plant knowledge.

tripfiction Tue 11-Jun-13 12:36:59

Thank you UndineSpragg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now