Looking for historical fiction recommendations set around the English Civil War

(21 Posts)

But I have just checked the Goodreads review and it makes it sounds like a Mills and Boon. It does have a romance at its heart but its way more than that.

Stella Riley - A Splendid Defiance

I rather enjoyed it.

MrsFrederickWentworth Wed 24-Apr-13 22:14:46

I love the rider of the white horse.

Sentimental but I also live the white witch.

Takver Wed 24-Apr-13 17:15:31

Ouch - both Simon and Rider of the White Horse are over a tenner on Abebooks. And the library doesn't have either of them sad

mimbleandlittlemy Wed 24-Apr-13 11:14:33

Oh, I'd forgotten all about Rider of the White Horse. That must be one of the first Civil War books I ever read. Good old Rosemary Sutcliffe.

Takver Wed 24-Apr-13 09:51:15

Willow, thank you very much for that! I was listening to R4 In Our Time about the Putney Debates yesterday on Iplayer, & trying to remember the name of that book (Simon, rather than Rider of the White Horse, though I do wonder if I am getting them both confused in my mind). I shall have to get a copy 'for dd' - always a good excuse for a bit of nostalgia grin

(Anyone who hasn't heard it, & is interested in the civil war, it was a v. good programme btw.)

WillowinGloves Wed 24-Apr-13 00:04:09

Rosemary Sutcliff. The Rider of the White Horse. It's one of her adult books and is about Sir Thomas Fairfax and his wife who followed him around on campaign. Lovely book and RS is very good on detail. (She wrote Simon for children, same period.) It's old but should be possible to track down.

squoosh Tue 23-Apr-13 23:36:42

I'm always puzzled that the English Civil War doesn't feature more in films and literature. It has endless dramatic potential.

mimbleandlittlemy Tue 16-Apr-13 12:51:32

Christie Dickason writes about this period and just before it. Haven't read any of hers for ages but I remember enjoying them very much.

Ruffello Sun 14-Apr-13 18:05:55

Thanks everyone. I've ordered The Kings General and Earthly Joys to get me started. Forever Amber looks interesting BOF. Apparently it was banned in Boston when it was first published for being "obscene and offensive". Sounds just my cup of tea!

BOF Sun 14-Apr-13 14:29:16

Forever Amber?

LaQueen Sun 14-Apr-13 14:24:09

I very much enjoyed Earthly Joys and Virgin Earth smile

Ruffello Sat 13-Apr-13 08:03:42

I haven't read any Philippa Gregory, but I know she's highly recommended on other historical fiction threads. Earthly Joys might be a good introduction. <flexes credit card> smile

highlandcoo Fri 12-Apr-13 23:31:04

Earthly Joys and Virgin Earth by Philippa Gregory might be worth a read if you like her style of writing.

tripfiction Fri 12-Apr-13 21:52:54

A slightly off piste one - Have just read The Gilded Fan by Christina Courtenay set firstly in Japan, then Amsterdam and the final part is set in Plymouth where things are hotting up in the Civil War. Very readable. http://www.tripfiction.com/Book/2742

HarderToKidnap Fri 12-Apr-13 20:28:02

As meat loves salt is fantastic. Stayed with me a long time.

Ruffello Fri 12-Apr-13 20:20:10

Thanks again Duchess. I see An Instance of the Fingerpost is on the GoodReads list - another of my past favourites.

Ruffello Fri 12-Apr-13 18:02:59

Ooh that sounds promising Duchess. Definitely one to add to my list!

DuchessofMalfi Fri 12-Apr-13 18:02:27
DuchessofMalfi Fri 12-Apr-13 17:58:14

How about The Kings General by Daphne Du Maurier?

Ruffello Fri 12-Apr-13 17:25:27

Historical fiction lovers - what English Civil War epics would you recommend? I loved As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now