Graphic novel recomendations?

(15 Posts)
SqueakyCleanNameChange Tue 02-Apr-13 09:39:25

To some extent this thread is a bit like someone saying "I tried a book, and really enjoyed it. What other books might I like?" And people coming back with "Ooh, what about Jane Austen. And Frederick Forsyth. And Proust. And JG Ballard. And Harry Potter." grin.

But still, if you do a bit of research and flick through stuff then you've had loads of good stuff suggested.

Takver Tue 02-Apr-13 09:01:39

I'd second Alison Bechdel - I enjoyed 'Are You My Mother?' a lot

Love and Rockets and Heartbreak Soup by the Hernandez brothers. Surreal soap - beautifully drawn.

marissab Mon 01-Apr-13 16:02:13

Thanks guys. I literally know nothing about graphic novels. Read Maus after a rec on here and loved it. Then read 'V' and it's gone from there. New and exciting books to explore grin

Cherrypi Mon 01-Apr-13 15:31:33

Fun home be Alison Bechdel is a must read. Also stitches was interesting.

For graphic novels in a completely different genre, you could check out Posy Simmond's work Gemma Bovery and Tamara Drewe

I really loved Days of the Bagnold Summer (shortlisted for last year's Costa Prize). Dotter of her Father's Eyes and Alice in Sunderland also have great reviews.

SqueakyCleanNameChange Mon 01-Apr-13 13:44:30

Grandville by Brian Talbot is great. Also One Bad Rat.

Do try your local library for stuff, because if you try something and don't like it it's a relatively big outlay for a short read.

EggBasket Mon 01-Apr-13 13:44:16

From Hell
Watchmen
I used to enjoy Preacher too.

TheLightPassenger Mon 01-Apr-13 13:37:18

Yy to watchmen. Also try persepolis, joe sacco and guy de lisle

MajorDivvy Mon 01-Apr-13 13:22:55

I've read various 'graphic novel' versions of classics - they're pretty good.

The advantage of working where I do is we have loads of graphic novels in the school library - even managed to persuade the librarian to get 'The Hobbit' so I didn't have to buy it myself! grin

BabeRuthless Mon 01-Apr-13 12:59:49

I've caught the bug recently and haven't looked back. Walking Dead is brilliant. You can get them all as single volumes if you're not sure about committing just yet. If you watch the tv show don't worry about spoiling it for yourself. It does deviate quite heavily though there are some elements which are the same.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is very good and Watchmen is an essential. I've also started collecting Y: The Last Man, which is a series where every man in the world bar one drops dead all of a sudden. If you're into horror there's American Vampire which Stephen King has had a hand in and for a bit of 90s nostalgia I recently got a volume of Tank Girl.

The Marvel universe is a very daunting one to step into. There's been so many reboots and restarts its near impossible to keep up. If there is one round your way I would recommend going into an independent comic shop and having a chat with them. There's one not far from me and his recommendations have always been spot on. I'd also recommend getting the comixology app, you can get first issues and see what you like.

Have fun!

marissab Mon 01-Apr-13 12:42:03

Pelvic, my oh has the whole set of sandman novels. I read about 3 of em but they're a bit too fantasy for me.

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Mon 01-Apr-13 12:34:46

The Sandman?

marissab Mon 01-Apr-13 12:31:37

I don't live anarchism, i love it. Lolol. blush

marissab Mon 01-Apr-13 12:30:54

I've recently got in to graphic novels. I adored Maus and have just read v for vendetta which i also liked. I tried my partners sandman books but their too fantasy for my tastes. And i'm not a comic book hero fan. But Maus was a wOnderful piece of history that moved me greatly. And i loved V because i live post apocilyptic stuff and anarchism too. What should i read next? I almost got a volume of tge walking dead but it was sooo expensive and i wasn't sure if i'd like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now