Wolf Hall fans! So, Thomas Cromwell is to be played by...

(28 Posts)
IndridCold Mon 25-Mar-13 19:32:53

Mark Rylance.

I must admit that I hadn't thought of him in the part, but I'm a great admirer of his work and I think he'll be good.

Many apologies for DM link - I couldn't find it reported in any other papers.

SherbetVodka Mon 15-Apr-13 17:00:30

Hilary Mantel doesn't write Anne as a romantic heroine or passionate femme fatale, more like a sharp political operator. I think for that reason she'll have to be played very differently to any previous screen portrayals.

TunipTheVegedude Mon 15-Apr-13 16:51:16

absolutely Gerrof.

Anne Boleyn is such an enigma anyway. I have never really believed in a portrayal of her.

Gerrof Mon 15-Apr-13 16:49:23

Everyone who has played Anne I can think of (in grim productions admittedly) really overdo the arch and the femme fatale pouting.

SherbetVodka Mon 15-Apr-13 16:46:12

Oh. I'm quite disappointed about this as he just doesn't look the part, even if he is a fantastic actor. Cromwell is meant to be physically imposing and Mark Rylance is of quite slight build. I can see him as Monseigneur, Anne Boleyn's dad but not as Cromwell sad

Gracelo Mon 15-Apr-13 16:45:43

Yes, Tunip all her character have so many aspects to their personality, none is a caricature.
Anne will be so difficult to cast. She is almost as crucial as Cromwell to get right. I just can't think of a suitable actress.

Gerrof Mon 15-Apr-13 16:39:02

Mark rylance as Cromwell is great. He is a wonderful actor.

Ecclestone as the gaunt and scrawny Norfolk would be great as well.

God knows who would be best for Catherine and Anne. I always think that they are terribly cast, play up to the cliches. Hopefully they will give a little more thought to it.

I hope they will do the books justice, they are so wonderfully brilliant and beautiful, I am still pissed off that I have read them both and don't have them to look forward to. They are the best novels I have read I'm ages.

TunipTheVegedude Mon 15-Apr-13 16:34:33

Yes, exactly, and Mantel writes the character as jovial on top of those qualities, which I would love to see Ecclestone do.

Gracelo Mon 15-Apr-13 16:28:58

Grim, and barely concealed rage, which makes him so good in Elizabeth.

TunipTheVegedude Mon 15-Apr-13 16:27:01

Yes.

But Ecclestone is gaunt and does 'grim' very well.

Gracelo Mon 15-Apr-13 16:23:54

Oh no, I mixed up my Norfolks. blush
So, this Norfolk was about 20 years older than Henry. I agree that makes Eccelstone too young, sadly.

TunipTheVegedude Mon 15-Apr-13 16:17:33

The Norfolk Ecclestone plays is a different one - he's the 4th duke, grandson of the 3rd who is the Wolf Hall one.
Having said that, he could probably do the 3rd Duke quite well too! He was a very different character. Ecclestone is too young but could play old quite convincingly.

Gracelo Mon 15-Apr-13 16:12:32

I always picture the Duke of Norfolk as Christopher Ecclestone as in Elizabeth.
I saw James McAvoy suggested for Ralph Sadler somewhere and I really like that sugegstion.

TunipTheVegedude Mon 15-Apr-13 16:04:02

I want to know who's going to be the Duke of Norfolk. I'm fascinated by Norfolk (not in a romantic way you understand.)

Gracelo Mon 15-Apr-13 16:02:00

Yes, JS needs to be loopy. I think David Tennant would have worked well 10 years ago. JS needs to be quite young. Eddie Redmayne wouldn't work.
Ian Holm would be good as Norrell.

Would Simon Russell Beale not be a little too old to play Henry?

fiftyval Mon 15-Apr-13 15:43:23

Going back to 'Wolf Hall/Bringing Up the Bodies' , I could imagine someone like Simon Russell Beale playing Henry VIII rather well.

Thurlow Mon 15-Apr-13 15:07:20

I pictured David Tennant when I read it, but that was back when it was first published and probably pre-Doctor Who, so he was younger and had less baggage than he does now. Harry Lloyd, I could kind of see that. As long as it's not Eddie Redmayne just for the red hair! He's not loopy enough, and JS needs to be loopy.

I saw Ian Holm as Norrell from the very first sentence. Looking online that seems to be common!

Gracelo Mon 15-Apr-13 14:51:23

I would like Ben Wishaw as JS Thurlow but then I think Ben Wishaw is fabulous no matter what he is in. I could picture Harry Lloyd as JS well. There are so many roles to get right though, Norrell, the Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair, Stephen Black, Vinculus, Childermass, Drawlight, Lascelles, Lady Pole, Arabella, Flora...Rebecca Hall would make a good Lady Pole, I think.
I have no idea how they are going to write a script for this. It seems impossible to do justice to all the bits of it, doesn't it?

I find it a lot easier to put together a dream cast list for Wolf Hall/Bring up the Bodies than for Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, maybe because there have been so many versions of Tudor history already (besides the actual historical figures) whereas Jonathan Strange so far only exists in the readers' imagination.

Thurlow Mon 15-Apr-13 13:41:30

Yes, Gracelo, BBC and BBC America are doing it together. I've heard Ben Wishaw mentioned, which might work. Though how the hell you film the footnotes...?! The last thing I heard a year or two ago was that they were thinking of making a film/series called something like 'The Lords of English Magic' so that it wasn't a straight adaptation of Strange. Maybe they'll have to do that.

5Foot5 Mon 15-Apr-13 13:28:19

Oh I didn't even know it was being made in to a film!

I just finished "Bring Up the Bodies" yesterday. I spent most of yesterday absolutely hooked and couldn't put it down.

Anyone know who wil be Henry VIII?

carlajean Mon 15-Apr-13 09:07:58

I thought (and wished) Russell Crowd as well

Gracelo Mon 15-Apr-13 09:00:00

Oooh, are there plans to film Jonathan Strange? How exciting, that will require some interesting casting decisions.

I'm ok with Mark Rylance as Thomas Cromwell. That role needs a very good actor and it sounds MR is up to it.

Thank goodness it's not Tom Cruise. He's ruined Jack Reacher for me. «realises she's lowered tone»

Thurlow Thu 04-Apr-13 16:43:21

Oh. I wanted James Frain sad Also I pictured Cromwell as stockier. But I've heard Rylance is an amazing actor so I'm sure he'll be great.

(I'm trying to be calm about this and save my ire for when they cast anyone other than David Tennant or Matthew MacFadyen as Jonathan Strange...)

lainiekazan Mon 01-Apr-13 12:56:16

I must admit I saw Russell Crowe in my mind's eye when reading the book.

highlandcoo Mon 01-Apr-13 06:46:00

I've been lucky enough to see Mark Rylance in Jerusalem, La Bete and Twelfth Night - would crawl over hot coals to see him in anything!

He will be brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now