Suggestions please for mindless page-turners

(17 Posts)

Lace by Shirley Conran is currently 99p on Kindle..... wink.

Mindless
Page Turner
Bit of smut?!

Hope your son is doing ok.

Trazzletoes Mon 25-Mar-13 23:02:08

Thanks all for your suggestions! I'm off to do some downloading smile

Oh you need 'Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day' without a doubt. It's a really easy, frivolous light read but is just lovely and well enough written (it's quite Austen-esque in its gentle irony) to satisfy the non-philistine aspects of your needs. smile

Are you up to some Austen too?

Georgette Heyer might well be perfect as well.

Hope ds gets well soon.

KittenOfDoom Mon 25-Mar-13 15:07:34

Robert Goddard?

His early novels are very very good, but the later ones have deteriorated to the point where they're Dan Brown-style trash. In fact the style has changed so greatly that I wonder if ......

Anyway, they might suit. I'd recommend Painting the Darkness, In Pale Battalions, Past Caring, Hand in Glove, Take No Farewell.

Into the Blue is good, its sequel (Out of the Sun, I think) not so good but OK, and the third one (Never Go Back) is awful.

Galaxymum Mon 25-Mar-13 13:35:40

The Truth About Melody Browne by Lisa Jewell - I really enjoyed this easy read chick lit book but it has a very good story and is quite different from usual chick lit fare. Melody can't remember anything from before a house fire aged 9, then a hypnotist triggers flashbacks so she starts to investigate her past. Good quick read.

Cathy Kelly - I adore her earlier books, but once she got to "Secrets and Lies" she completely changed her style and I just didn't enjoy them anymore.
You could try one from "before" and one "after" and see which you liked - they were all good, I just couldn't forgive her her style change confused
I second the Sookie Stackhouse (Ture Blood) novels, or the Stephanie Plum series. If you want a bit more vacuous yet amusing and light then the "Undead and..." series by Mary Janice Davidson are good, and she has a great FB page where she interacts with fans regularly.
If you want a few more dystopian "after the apocalypse/wnd of the world" stories, "Alas, Babylon", "Earth Abides", and the "White Flag of the Dead" series are all good - WFotD does feature child zombies in the final two volumes though, and might be a bit more upsetting/worse than the previous ones in the series.

montage Sun 24-Mar-13 19:15:17

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand is a rather lovely easy read.

The true blood novels - all of them! Very much my guilty secret - I was reading one every few days. Not my usual thing but v good. Also second the Sophie kinsella recommendation.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 24-Mar-13 18:56:56

Hope your son is ok btw.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 24-Mar-13 18:56:31

Yes, that's him. Not exactly high brow reading but very much my guilty secret. Definitely page turners IMHO.

Trazzletoes Sun 24-Mar-13 18:53:29

Does Lee Child do Jack Reacher? The name sounds familiar.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 24-Mar-13 18:41:53

Lee child?

DuchessofMalfi Sun 24-Mar-13 18:41:23

For lightweight comedy thrillers try Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels, starting with One for the Money, Two for the Dough etc. There's 19 of them so far grin

Trazzletoes Sun 24-Mar-13 18:21:12

Ooh thanks! I'll investigate...

Tbh I'm not really fussed about genre... I'll read just about anything(!)

headlesslambrini Sun 24-Mar-13 18:15:11

I love nora roberts - crime with romance thrown in. sophie kinsella is good as well. depends what genre you want.

3MenAndMe Sun 24-Mar-13 18:09:23

Try Sue Townsend if you like lighthearted fun...
Anything ...'Queen and I' ,Adrian Mole series,'Queen Camilla'

Or maybe a bit of East End history with Jennifer Worth,read her books while studying midwifery...
Hope it helps

Trazzletoes Sun 24-Mar-13 17:24:14

Hi,

I'm in hospital with DS long-term and love reading. I have my Kindle and would love some suggestions for books that won't take too much concentration to follow the story but are enjoyable.

Ordinarily, I enjoy reading a fair amount of trash anyway (Karin Slaughter blush ) but I also do love a good Thomas Hardy... and Wuthering Heights is my favourite book ever closely followed by The Handmaid's Tale so I'm not a complete philistine.

So basically something that will allow me to escape reality for a bit but without too much effort on my part grin

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now