Jane Green - Ick!

(34 Posts)
LaQueen Wed 20-Mar-13 13:52:35

Back in the day, I (secretly) liked a bit of Jane Green's whimsical, candy-floss chick-lit. Her books were okay...easily read in a few hours, and leaving a slightly sweet after taste.

But, I've just read The Accidental Husband...and OMG, it was like being force-fed syrup. Just so nauseatingly twee...and what's with the endless, descriptions of furnishings...

... 'The kitchen had been fitted with open plan shelves, each one stacked with artisan crockery glazed in shades of soft grey and cream...the kitchen table was crafted from faded oak, and covered with a delicate, antique French shawl in shades of pearl and opal...and beside the French windows, flung open to welcome the balmy summer air, a reclaimed church pew, was scattered with faded linen cushions, their subtle pastel tones, the very distillation of the elegant Provence village, where Freya/Bella/Libby/Cassie had holidayed last Fall...'

I haven't quoted the above, it's just my take on her cringing, hyperbole...at times I wasn't sure whether I was reading Homes & gardens hmm

And, do all her characters find themselves through the medium of candle-making/aromatherapy/cushion embroidering/landscape gardening/cup-cake bakery opening/artisan bread-making...?????

GW297 Sat 06-Apr-13 01:42:25

Can you keep a secret is next on my list.

TicketyToc Fri 05-Apr-13 18:55:34

Bootsycollins I've watched The ring and a couple of others but can't remember their names. I wouldn't mind reading The Ring as a friend of mine said it was a favourite of hers. As you said the films are so bad they are good. smile

Karma I love Sophie Kinsella when I want to read something light and funny especially Can You Keep A secret.

bootsycollins Fri 05-Apr-13 18:43:05

Tickety haven't read any of those DS books, have you ever watched any of the made for TV movies? Soooooooo bad they're good confused

fedupofnamechanging Fri 05-Apr-13 18:42:01

To be fair to Sophie Kinsella, she did write that one about the woman who spilled her guts to a stranger on the plane and then he turned out to be her new boss! I thought that was piss funny at the time.

Pancakeflipper Fri 05-Apr-13 18:35:49

I read a few books by Anna Quindlen. Did enjoy the one "Every Last One" and "One True Thing". Can be a bit Jodie Picoultvon the moral/ethic/society thing but enjoyed those 2. Was another by her that I didn't enjoy. Cannot recall the title.

TicketyToc Fri 05-Apr-13 18:35:15

bootsycollins I read Matters of the heart, The Promise and Star. Hated Star but I liked the other two.

bootsycollins Fri 05-Apr-13 18:16:46

Oh gawd anyone ever had a Danielle Steele phase? I've actually stayed up till 2am crying over her books hmm the Clone and I was especially awful grin

bootsycollins Fri 05-Apr-13 18:15:11

I've got Chances, Lady Boss etc on my Kindle, read them years ago. I really need to check in with Gino "the ram" Santangello et al sometime soon grin

I've just finished Before I Go to Sleep and started Dark Matter.

SquidgyMummy Fri 05-Apr-13 18:10:17

Just read Kate Forster The Perfect Retreat loved it, especially at 99p on my kindle!

Pancakeflipper Fri 05-Apr-13 18:08:14

Don't think I have read the last J Fallon. Been in Ian Rankin mode for ages. Will keep in mind it might not be as good when I dot annual holiday book buying.

BeanoGrigio Fri 05-Apr-13 18:06:49

Got to love a bit of Jackie Collins.

TicketyToc Fri 05-Apr-13 18:03:57

I liked the first three Jane Fallon books but couldn't get into the latest one. Might give it another try some time.

Pancakeflipper Fri 05-Apr-13 18:00:37

Jane Green went bizarre after going to the USA.

I think Jane Fallon has taken over on the easy read for me now.

TicketyToc Fri 05-Apr-13 17:58:31

I like the Jane Green books but I agree her earlier ones are better than her later ones. The worst is Girl Friday imo.

I love Marian Keyes. My favourites are Rachel's Holiday and Last Chance Saloon.

Jambalaya yes she did write that one. I think it's called The Other Woman

JambalayaCodfishPie Tue 02-Apr-13 10:23:16

Jemima J is ridiculous but good.

Did Green write the one about the 'horrible' MIL who accidentally drops the baby down the stairs and the FIL is shagging the best mate?

I liked that at the time. smile

GW297 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:22:30

Love Marion Keyes - especially her books about the Walsh sisters. I also quite like Jane Green (sorry) especially Second Chance, The Patchwork Marriage and Girl Friday.

Did Jane Green write Jemima J? That was a very silly book ... but I quite liked it blush

theskyonasnowynight Sun 31-Mar-13 13:33:11

I read one, babyhood, and I couldn't get past the ludicrousness of the premise that a woman who owned half a house in an expensive part of London would split up, leave for New York, without taking ex partner to the cleaners for at least half that house, and be totally fine with ex partner moving in his new bird, whom he'd knocked up in an alleyway shag while they were still together.

careergirl Sat 23-Mar-13 15:01:04

I used to like Jane Green but not so much lately. Just read a book by Anne Baker and I loved that - All that Glistens

hackmum Thu 21-Mar-13 08:59:13

I read one of hers years ago. Can't remember what it was called - something like Mr Maybe? I really couldn't believe how bad it was. I expect something like that to be light and fluffy but basically enjoyable, but it was just awful. It was as if she couldn't even be bothered to try and write something good. Mystified as to how things like that get published.

Samu2 Thu 21-Mar-13 08:39:07

I love MK.

I read a lot and I like some fluff every now and then. MK is the best though. Even my husband read some of her books and he normally only ever reads classics.

onyx72 Wed 20-Mar-13 20:32:03

I liked Jane Green's earlier books but it was like she lost touch with reality once she moved to the States. Her characters - esp. the British ones - are unrealistic and most of them need a slap with a wet fish.

BOEUF Wed 20-Mar-13 20:17:22

'Older, easily consumed and harmless' pretty much sums me up, Trampypants grin. I've got Rachel's Holiday somewhere actually, but I tend to stick to stuff on my kindle these days because it's lighter to hold, and with a plastic cover, I can read in the bath, so I never seem to get round to ploughing through the pile of charity shop paperbacks I've amassed over the years.

TrampyPants Wed 20-Mar-13 20:12:14

Oh, how I love MK. I know rachels holiday off by heart. I've got them all now. I can send you them if you like? I also have a couple of JG's (the earlier, good ones) you can have. Jemima J is one of my faves, as is babyville.

BOEUF Wed 20-Mar-13 20:07:58

I'm not sure if I've read any Jane Green, but if you like something fairly light to rattle through but with fewer clichés and decent themes, I believe Marian Keyes is the pick of the crop. I read one a few years ago, and it really moved me, and I know friends who absolutely adore her stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now