Can I read The Year of the Flood before Oryx and Crake?

(15 Posts)
wiltingfast Thu 09-May-13 23:25:04

I've read both. Didn't notice any particular relationshhip between the 2! Thought they were stand alone books?!

marzipanned Thu 28-Mar-13 13:58:04

Definitely O&C first. Though I did WAY prefer it - a lot of TYOTF felt a tiny bit like adolescent fan fiction to me.

Twinkly O&C hasn't been spoiled for you...read it, read it!

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 25-Mar-13 23:22:35

Loved O& C, TYOTC okay but you only really get an extra 5 mins at the end. Book number 3? I wish she'd write something different tbh

TWinklyLittleStar Sun 24-Mar-13 19:22:47

I've only read TYOTF, it seemed to 'spoil' O&C a bit - is it still worth reading?

Colyngbourne Sun 24-Mar-13 19:21:22

I read Oryx & Crake first, then The Year of the Flood - it made far more sense to me that way - no idea why. Looking forward to the last book.

Picked up Blind Assasin again off the back of this thread, I'd forgotten what a good book it is.

Oh well, now I'm excited! Never realised she was writing another in the series. Love a bit of post-apocalyptic fiction smile

PaddingtonsMarmalade Wed 20-Mar-13 19:53:44

Noooo, no way. Got to read O&C and then TYOF. Bloody hell though those pigoons still haunt me for some reasons.

Hurray for the third one...I thought she'd given up.

steben Wed 20-Mar-13 19:51:01

The third one is out in September!!! I am beyond excited by this - I love a bit of apocalyptic Attwood! grin

It does make more sense reading O&C first.

I didn't know there was going to be a third one?!

Well, I liked TYOTF and hated O&C so tbh I'd skip O&C altogether! TYOTF might make more sense having read O&C though.

I wouldn't personally but I loved Oryx and Crake. The question is when will the bloody third one be out!

MadCap Wed 20-Mar-13 09:42:54

Thanks muchly Nebulous!

TheNebulousBoojum Wed 20-Mar-13 09:39:18

It made more sense that way round to me. I read O&C then Year of the Flood and then O&C again. smile

MadCap Wed 20-Mar-13 09:37:36

Just Oryx and Crake didn't appeal much and Year of the Flood did for whatever reason. Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now