The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

(12 Posts)
redhappy Sat 16-Mar-13 16:30:20

Finished this book today and I can't stop thinking about it. Even had a little cry this afternoon thinking about it.

The most beautiful book I have read in such a long time! Has anyone read this and would like to share their thoughts on Joseph?

It's a while since I read it, but I hated it! I was utterly unconvinced that the voice of the narrator was a 9-year-old (have I remembered her age correctly?) girl. I found the language an imagery forced and pretentious. I wish I had it in front of me so I could recall some specifics but I'd be interested to hear what others thought of it.

DuchessofMalfi Sun 17-Mar-13 13:46:13

I read it a couple of years ago. Sorry redhappy but I didn't like it that much either.

It was an MN book of the month a while back. Link here. Lots of comments to have a look at smile

Samu2 Sun 17-Mar-13 18:37:36

Hated it too.

elkiedee Sun 17-Mar-13 23:02:10

I enjoyed it

toughdecisions Mon 18-Mar-13 14:28:38

Can't remember much about it but can't have hated it because gave it to a friend as a light holiday read. Then again haven't ever recommended to anyone else.

beachyhead Mon 18-Mar-13 14:32:13

I loved it.... Strange, but good

hatchibombatour Mon 18-Mar-13 16:39:52

I loved it, read it ages ago but can still taste the language, I agree- beautiful.

alemci Mon 18-Mar-13 16:41:49

I found this book quite disturbing in places. especially the boy and his legs through the chair.

WowOoo Mon 18-Mar-13 16:44:31

I liked it.

It was different and a bit quirky.

I passed it on to a friend who loved it.

Crikeyme Tue 19-Mar-13 07:21:15

I found it very moving too - I didn't expect it to veer off in the directions it did, and the language didn't feel forced to me. I can see myself re-reading it in several years' time. The peculiar loneliness of each of the children was quite upsetting, though - it'll be a while before I tackle it again.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 19-Mar-13 16:27:31

DuchessofMalfi

I read it a couple of years ago. Sorry redhappy but I didn't like it that much either.

It was an MN book of the month a while back. Link here. Lots of comments to have a look at smile

Thanks Duchess, and this is edited into Q&A version

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now