Need a Holiday Read

(4 Posts)
MissWooWoo Wed 13-Mar-13 11:10:53

off to sunnier climes and need a book, possibly two. Not sure what I want really, fancy reading "Capital" but as I live in London and er wanting to get away from it all I'm thinking now is not the time?

Just finished Will Self's Book of Dave which I really enjoyed and previous to that I'd read Barbara Pym's "Excellent Woman" which I absolutely loved. I suppose what I'm saying is that I don't mind something with a bit of substance to it, I'm not averse to a bit of chick lit but something weightier is fine.

Wolf Hall? Just finished watching all of "The Tudors" and read the first couple of pages of Wolf Hall in the library the other day and didn't feel put off. But maybe that's too hefty?

Any suggestions?

cathan Wed 13-Mar-13 11:22:23

I can thoroughly recommend "The Midwife of Hope River" by Patricia Harman - set in the USA in the Depression it is a cracking read! Definitely fiction, but if you like "Call the Midwife" or "The Help", you'll love this.

tripfiction Wed 13-Mar-13 13:10:33

Cathan's suggestion is great. I could maybe help you find something a bit interesting that is set where you are going - this way you get a bit of a "different" take on your destination and there are lots of books that just aren't mainstream but are wonderful. Have, for example, just discovered Tunisian Dreams by Ivor Rawlinson (set of course in Tunisia!), which was superb. So, if you are interested, let us know destination and I can suggest something!

MissWooWoo Wed 13-Mar-13 14:13:40

thanks tripfiction I'm going to the Canaries.

Cathan I did watch the first series of Call the Midwife but erm think I might like something a bit more uplifting?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now