W Somerset Maughm

(7 Posts)
thewhistler Thu 21-Mar-13 22:38:19

I love the short stories and also the moon and sixpence. I too read them.all in my teens. They wear better than many of that generation, and I think they would transfer well to tv.

chocoluvva Wed 13-Mar-13 14:23:54

Ooh - The Moon and Sixpence!

WormCanner Wed 13-Mar-13 02:21:32

I had to do 'Of Human Bondage' for school exams which put me right off his novels BUT my mum was a great fan of his short stories and had the whole collection. I thoroughly enjoyed them and return to them every so often. They often have a twist in the tail or end with an unexpected punchline.

SwedishEdith Tue 12-Mar-13 20:19:12

I remember loving the Razor's Edge. You've reminded me to read more SM now

Colyngbourne Tue 12-Mar-13 20:17:35

I read dozens of Maugham novels in my teens, most of which I loved and still have on my shelves. Cakes & Ale, The Painted Veil, The Razor's Edge, The Letter, Mrs Craddock, The Magician, Liza of Lambeth, Then & Now, The Moon & Sixpence, some of his short plays, Ashenden. Weirdly, the one I haven't read is "Of Human Bondage".

chocoluvva Tue 12-Mar-13 14:18:44

Cakes and Ale perhaps.

craftycottontail Tue 12-Mar-13 13:23:05

Another author to rave about!

Thanks Mumsnetters for encouraging me to read more this year - I think 50 is too big a challenge for me so I'm quietly aiming to read 30 books this year to get myself back into reading.

I just finished Up At The Villa by W Somerset Maughm and it's such a gem that I had to recommend it.

It's quite a pacy read and short too, so it's pleasingly added another to my year's tally within 24 hours, but it was such a healthy delight to read at the same time. I love books that are so seamlessly written.

I've also enjoyed The Painted Veil in the past (and the film too, which is pretty close to the book).

Any other WSM lovers out there and recommendations for my next novel of his?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now