kindle question .. recharging?

(14 Posts)
highlandcoo Sun 10-Mar-13 12:08:16

I got a kindle for Christmas but so far have only read one book on it .. I think I just prefer real books and that's what's provided by my various library-based book groups, so it's been pretty much left in a drawer so far.

However, I'm off on holiday soon and going to bite the bullet and use my kindle then. I have absolutely no idea how many hours it will last for without needing to be recharged - 12? 100? - will it see me through a really long plane journey/ throughout the fortnight's holiday?

Seems a daft question but I'd really appreciate an answer thanks!

almostanotherday Sun 10-Mar-13 12:09:28

If you have the wifi turned off mine lasts a few days.

highlandcoo Sun 10-Mar-13 12:12:37

Thanks almost - I'll need to take the charger with me from the sound of what you say then - am trying to travel light!

If you read non stop on holiday like me, then you may need to recharge at some point, but the battery life on mine is fantastic - especially as almost says, if you turn off the wifi. Definitely last you a long flight and beyond.

Still18atheart Sun 10-Mar-13 14:15:36

Mine last about a week days providing that the wifi is off and that it's switched fully off and not just not on standby (i.e. the pretty picture of various authors).But I would bring charger with you just in case.

mirai Sun 10-Mar-13 14:18:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mirai Sun 10-Mar-13 14:18:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

highlandcoo Sun 10-Mar-13 18:01:31

Thanks for the advice everyone smile

mirai I didn't know that! shock So I shouldn't just be leaving it for months and only pulling out to use when travelling. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm not planning to take any books with me - for the first time ever - and we're doing quite a bit of rail travel while abroad, so plenty of time for reading. Maybe this holiday will get me switched on to using my kindle at last.

munchkinmaster Sun 10-Mar-13 18:03:01

You can use the plug from the I phone and a kindle cable if that helps with packing. Mine lasts weeks.

ggirl Sun 10-Mar-13 18:03:45

also if you have a lighted cover the battery doesn't last nearly as long

before i got the lighted cover my battery lasted ages !!!

mimbleandlittlemy Thu 14-Mar-13 16:18:10

I've got a lighted cover and wifi and usually forget to turn the wifi off and it remains charged for two or three weeks but when I go away I just take my phone charger (Samsung as it happens) and can charge both with that.

I used mine a lot and had no problems with the battery. Then a gap of about 4 months. Fully charged it up and it didn't last long at all (lead to much frustration in the middle of nowhere when I realised I couldn't finish the gripping book I was in teh middle of, and had a 3 hour wait + 3 hour flight....aaaagh!) I have been using and charging regualrly for the last month, and we seem to be back on track.

BornToFolk Thu 14-Mar-13 16:25:43

I took mine on a 10 day holiday last year and didn't need to charge. I read about for a good few hours a day.

Thanks for the tips about charging regularly. I had been letting mine run down (I use it every day but only charge every 3-4 weeks) but I'll make the effort to charge it more frequently.

valiumredhead Wed 20-Mar-13 12:06:48

I only charge mine when it tells me to which is every 3 weeks or so, I read for about an hour a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now