Cotillion: Georgette Heyer book club no. 19

(33 Posts)
LeonieDeSainteVire Wed 06-Mar-13 23:15:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mackerella Thu 21-Mar-13 23:43:35

Chicken Hazard??? I am so pleased that she rethought that one. I don't even know what it means - maybe a game of hazard played for chicken stakes? Not sure how that's relevant, though...?

mackerella Thu 21-Mar-13 23:46:42

Just tried googling and got page after page of results about meat safety and environmental health inspections confused

LeonieDeSainteVire Fri 22-Mar-13 08:09:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 22-Mar-13 08:17:36

A more focussed Google tells me that it's a dice game, rather than a card game, which I previously thought. The significance being that Kitty is making a huge gamble I guess, but I like Cotillion as a name even though it would perhaps suit Bath Tangle better.

mackerella Fri 22-Mar-13 09:01:06

How interesting, I'd also assumed that hazard was a card game. I'm not sure that the game in Cotillion is really bring played for chicken (i.e. paltry - or, ahem, poultry) stakes - as you say, Isabella, it's a huge gamble for Kitty, but also for the others, whether they are weighing Mr Penicuik's fortune or their own future happiness in the balance. In fact, Leonie's interpretation of "chicken" would work better here, as it has the connotations of "he who dares wins": the person who holds their nerve the best will prevail.

mackerella Fri 22-Mar-13 09:04:20

Actually, I've just thought about it again, and my last sentence is clearly rubbish: Kitty and Freddy fall into the right relationship (with each other) by accident rather than design, and Jack (who is the one holding his nerve while Kitty pretends not to care for him) actually loses his gamble. So I have no idea why GH thought that Chicken Hazard would be a good title for this book confused. I think it's definitely for the best that she didn't use it!

mackerella Fri 22-Mar-13 09:12:19

Oh, I see (have also just had a more focused Google): chicken hazard is just another name for English hazard, which is played against an opponent rather than against the house (which is French hazard). I guess the opponents here are Kitty and Jack, then.

Right, I really will stop picking over the (chicken) carcase of this one and try to think of something profound to dart about The Toll-Gate (am on train journey, hence all of this idle speculation) grin.

Final thoughts on Cotillion before I think of something insightful to say about the Toll Gate. Perhaps the four figures in this dance are the four cousins (Dolphin, Jack, Feddy, Hugh) who are supposed to be jockeying for Kitty's hand (and fortune)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now