Trills Fri 15-Feb-13 14:11:12

Do not read this unless:
a - you have read all of the Wheel of Time books
or
b - you don't care about getting spoilers

OK?

Now feel free to spoil away.

Trills Fri 15-Feb-13 14:15:38

I am not sure I understand what happened to Egwene.

She invented anti-Balefire and turned to crystal?

Also, will all of her plans re the Kin and the Windfinders and the Wise Ones all be for nothing, or do you think Cadsuane will carry them on?

WoTmania Fri 15-Feb-13 14:27:45

I think Nynaeve will be involved in carrying on the kin. Whether Cadsuane is keen or not.
Not really sure with Egwene. I've just started a re-read and it's so different with the knowledge of the the last book, I'm amazed at how different the characters are.
I kind of wish there was more Mat but didn't like the way Sanderson wrote him. I'm also ebing reminded of what a selfish little shit he could be (despite him being one of my favourite characters)

Only on book one and none of the 'sniffing' etc has started yet

Trills Fri 15-Feb-13 14:37:21

Cadsuane is one of the oldest Aes Sedai in recent times, right? I guess she'll want to live a longer life so maybe she would be keen on the whole release-the-oaths-and-live-a-few-hundred-more-years thing.

ErikNorseman Fri 15-Feb-13 14:51:34

Marking place...I'm gonna have a think and come back to you

WoTmania Sat 16-Feb-13 18:51:56

Okay - Egwene: it was Taim who turned to crystal when she used the opposite to balefire weave. I think she felt Gawaine go and pulled more than she should have using a sa'angreal or angreal and so burnt herself out healing all the balefire cracks.

I don't know about Cadsuane TBH, she strikes me as the type of person so much an Aes Sedai that she'd rather die a couple of hundred years earlier as an Aes Sedai than give that up.

Do we think Sanderson will write more? I was quite bereft at the end despite waiting years for it to bloody finish. It just didn't feel final enough

Trills Sun 17-Feb-13 11:02:08

I think Egwene is a crystal pillar too - there was no mention of a body.

I actually quite liked Sanderson's books - they moved a lot faster. I hear there is a lot of material for prequels, but I don't know if it's in good enough shape for someone who is not Robert Jordan to write them.

Actually in my re-read I felt that book 11 was where things started moving again, and that was RJ, so maybe it would have happened anyway.

WoTmania Mon 18-Feb-13 11:33:20

I re-read that section once DH got home with the book. She turns into a pillar of light and feels her soul separate from her body I think.

I'm torn furhter books. Prequels I would enjoy and I would love to learn more about after MoL but would also like it to be left where it is.

WoTmania Mon 18-Feb-13 11:35:01

I think it stopped moving much becuase he was bringing all the story lines up to date. Possibly Sanderson moved it quicker than RJ would have but not necessarily by much.

I finished it!!! Woohoo!!! And sad too. I got very tearful at the loss of Siuan and Egwene. Very glad that Perrin survived though. grin

I'm a bit confused about what happened to Lan, I was convinced he was dead but then he wasn't...

Trills Sat 09-Mar-13 11:10:43

Woohoo!
Well done.

The "sheathing the sword" manoeuvre is one that Lan teaches Rand right at the very beginning - I do love how much Robert Jordan plays the long game - you let the enemy stab you in order to get them close with their guard down. The way it was described, it's for situations where it's more important that the enemy die than that you live.

I guess Demandred's one stab was not fatal. (I also assume Lan got magical healing afterwards).

Yes, I remembered that bit too and assumed it meant it would be fatal. Obviously I'm quite pleased it wasn't but I was a bit confused!

Still gutted about Egwene though and I wonder what happened to Leilwin who was her Warder - did I miss that bit? (I was up reading quite late last night!).

Trills Sat 09-Mar-13 11:26:16

I don't think we heard anything about what happened to Egeanin/Leilwin, or to Baye Domon either. Probably unceremoniously bashed over the head by trollocs while Egwene was busy turning into a pillar of crystal.

Probably. I loved the bit about the people from Hinderstap though, that was pure genius! I was like this grin when I read that bit.

Trills Sat 09-Mar-13 11:31:38

Someone was musing that it was horribly unfair, all of the villagers had died, they weren't even soldiers, some of them were women and children...

I didn't twig at all. It was genius!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now