Khaled Hosseini has a new book out at last!!!

(14 Posts)
HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 13-Feb-13 14:18:05

Well it's out 21st May called And The Mountains Echoed.

Amazon Link

I can't bloody wait, i loved his first two, especially The Kite Runner.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 13-Feb-13 15:11:41

I haven't read either of his novels yet. Got some serious catching up to do this year grin They've both been on my wish list for a while.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 13-Feb-13 15:42:24

I love his writing and had almost given up hope of a new book.

Brilliant news - his other two were fantastic.

waycat Thu 14-Feb-13 07:35:40

Fantastic news - thanks so much for passing this on.

I loved his first two books - A Thousand Splendid Suns is one of the very few books I've read more than once.

Just been to pre-order from Amazon.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Thu 14-Feb-13 18:07:05

You're welcome!!

Sonnet Sat 16-Feb-13 22:05:32

Thank you for letting us know. I have just pre ordered on amazon. I can still remember where I was andvwhatvwas happening in my life when reading a thousand splendid suns

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 16-Feb-13 23:10:33

smile

Wolfiefan Sat 16-Feb-13 23:13:08

Can't wait!

waycat Sat 15-Jun-13 05:29:12

Well, I don't know if anyone has read this or not yet but I got my copy from Amazon a few weeks ago.

I'm sorry to say that, personally, I'm very disappointed with And The Mountains Echoed, so much so that I haven't been able to finish it.

For me, it is far too disjointed - a lot of flitting back and forth between different generations, different times, different countries. Each chapter seems to introduce a new character, and in the end I got about 1/2 way through and have had to put it aside for now.

It got to the point where I kept having to turn back pages in order to remind myself who/what/when I was reading about.

A real shame, since both his other two books are outstanding.

Isthiscorrect Sat 15-Jun-13 05:48:00

Interesting. This is on our Bookclub list for November because hopefully by then the price will have come down. I shall wait with interest to see what others have to say. Very disappointing though.

AViewFromTheFridge Sat 15-Jun-13 07:38:22

Waycat, I found exactly the same thing - had to keep flicking back to work out how the characters were linked. However, I would say it's definitely worth persevering to the very end - the last few pages are classic Hosseini.

waycat Sat 15-Jun-13 13:31:34

AViewFromAFridge,
Thanks for that - I am reading something more light hearted now, but when I've finished it I shall re-visit And The Mountains Echoed and hopefully be able to see it through to the end this time.

waycat Fri 28-Jun-13 05:15:02

Well, I have finished it - and I'm glad I gave it another go, thanks again to AViewFromTheFridge for encouraging me to have another try at it.

It was stranger really because, even though I struggled with it at first, after a break I came back to it with a fresh perspective, picked it up from where I left off, and found it really easy to get straight back into.

As I read through the remaining chapters, bits started to fall into place and I could follow the story much easier - I would read a passage and find myself remembering how it fits in with something I read a lot earlier in the book.

And all in all, it's a really good story - not on a par with his previous two books, but I'm glad I stuck with it in the end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now