Freedom - Jonathan Franzen

(11 Posts)

I have finally finished this, and really struggled with it. I cannot say I enjoyed it at all. I vaguely recall that the reviews were mixed, but picked it up a few weeks ago at an obsure airport.

I loved the Corrections. Have I missed something here? I think it could have been good, but needed to be reduced by at least a third.

highlandcoo Tue 12-Feb-13 15:48:49

I agree with you. I really enjoyed The Corrections but Freedom came as a disappointment.

I read it last year and - apart from not enjoying it - can't actually recall anything about it which isn't a good sign ,,,

Juanca Tue 12-Feb-13 15:55:05

I loved it - but did think it got bogged down in too much detail at times, especially the bits with the mining/national park stuff (can't remember much about that).

I thought the writing was quite similar to Tom Wolfe, almost a soap opera written in a 'literary' style.

WhichIsBest Tue 12-Feb-13 15:56:14

I am struggling too. Only a quarter of the way through so far. I did find the other book I read by him hard-going too though, The Twenty Seventh City. Rather dry.

thestringcheesemassacre Tue 12-Feb-13 15:57:12

I'm the same. The Corrections is one of my top 3 books and I thought Freedom just never took off.

I read it on holiday and loved it. Not quite as much as The Corrections, which is one of my all time favourites. I think Freedom is a book that needs to be read in big chunks over a short time. I wish I had 1% of Jonathan Franzen's talent.

DoctorAnge Tue 12-Feb-13 16:00:53

I absolutely adored this. You need to keep going with it, I found it do profound.

I loved it but remember having various disagreements about it when it came out. I agree that it is slow moving in parts but in a way that's why I like it, it makes it 'real' to me iyswim. I do prefer 'The Corrections' though, mainly because the characters are more likeable.

ZenNudist Tue 12-Feb-13 16:03:18

I loved it. I once struggled with his "27th city" but found "freedom" so wonderful didn't want it to end.

It's very strongly 'themed' and I thought the themes around the concept of freedom a bit unsubtle. A bit like you could easily write many A-level English papers on it, but the old lit student in me doesn't mind that.

It was soapy, but compelling. It ended much happier than I hoped. Made me want to re-read "the corrections".

DoctorAnge Tue 12-Feb-13 16:03:24

So profound

BeeBawBabbity Fri 15-Feb-13 16:05:50

I really liked it too, but agree that the Corrections is better. I love Franzen's style.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now