must reads?

(11 Posts)
TitHead Sat 09-Feb-13 21:57:55

So I have just joined the library. So what books have you really enjoyed and would advise me to read?

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sun 10-Feb-13 11:01:19

Maybe you could tell us a bit about yourself or your reading likes and dislikes, if you already have any. What sort of book do you think you might enjoy?

TitHead Sun 10-Feb-13 20:17:42

Thanks for replying. I have quite a broad reading taste anything from crime to chicklit and most things inbetween. The only books I struggle to get into really are fantasy and historical novels. I'm hoping to really broaden my horizons so am open to all suggestions.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sun 10-Feb-13 21:50:51

Hmm, not sure I'm going to be very helpful, actually! It's hard to suggest anything specific - and I tend to use our local library for non-fiction rather than fiction.

Our library has special display units of 'quick choice' books, or something like that, all presented face out which can be a bit more appealing than rows of spines. Has your library got anything like that? I think the staff also keep a "if you liked this you'll also like that" sort of list, so maybe ask if yours has too. Or see the 'just returned' shelves to find out what everyone else has read.

Sorry, that's not really helpful at all, is it?

DuchessofMalfi Sun 10-Feb-13 21:59:32

It's a good place to start, along with scanning the bestseller lists on Amazon.

Once you know what you like to read you can then look a bit further afield.

TitHead Mon 11-Feb-13 21:22:10

Thank you both for your replies. My problem is if I enjoy a book I will stick with that author or genre for a while and I really want to broaden my tastes. I took your advice of the quick choice and picked S.J.Watson before I go to sleep. I had no idea what it was about as it was hardback and the synopsis didn't really give much away. I am really enjoying it at the moment and after 2 nights I'm just over half way through.

I'm also going to scan the best sellers list and get a few ideas from there.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Mon 11-Feb-13 21:30:57

Glad you've found a book to enjoy, I've not read it, but will add it to my own list!

There's a website called What shall I read next, or something like that (sorry, in a hurry just now), where I think you can type in a title you've enjoyed and it will give you a list of others.

Perhaps there are some suggestions on the 50 books thread which might appeal to you as well?

TitHead Mon 11-Feb-13 23:02:44

oh not heard of that. Thanks I will give that a try.

AuntySib Mon 11-Feb-13 23:06:29

I recently read Song of Achilles by Madeleine Miller, and The Secret Purposes by David Baddiel, both excellent. You can get the synopses on Amazon, but both well worth reading.

DuchessofMalfi Tue 12-Feb-13 10:11:11

You could perhaps try the novels of Marian Keyes - always enjoyable. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes? Both authors have written quite a lot, so should keep you busy catching up with their books if you like them.

I'm currently reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, which is just magical and beautifully written. Loving it.

TitHead Tue 12-Feb-13 20:16:01

ohh great thanks for the suggestions I will add them to my list. I have enjoyed a few Marian Keyes so will give her a re-visit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now