Books set in Paris

(44 Posts)
BestIsWest Thu 07-Feb-13 21:32:12

Just finished Les Miserables and going there in April. Can anyone recommend any other books set in or about Paris?

Cremolafoam Fri 15-Mar-13 23:49:00

Cara Black series of mysteries with PI Aimee LeDuc.
Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay
The way I found Her by Rose Tremain
April in Paris by Michael Wallner
The lollipop Shoes( the sequel to Chocolat) by Joanne Harris
Any of the Victor Legris mysteries by Claude Izner ( set in Belle Époque Paris)

Teddimac Fri 15-Mar-13 23:19:24

Perfume by Patrick Suskind smile

BestIsWest Fri 15-Mar-13 20:21:56

grin I read that a few years ago - must dig it out. I remember it had some handy tips on ordering beer

allagory Thu 14-Mar-13 23:21:09

Some worthy suggestions here. Can I suggest "A Year in the Merde" as a counterpoint? Very funny.

BestIsWest Thu 14-Mar-13 21:42:01

Just wanted to update this thread.
I thoroughly enjoyed A Moveable Feast and The Paris Wife, glad I read them in that order. I feel a bit bereft now and missing Ernest and Hadley.

I haven't read any Hemingway since reading For Whom The Bell Tolls as a teenager. I think I might order The Sun Also Rises.

elkiedee Mon 04-Mar-13 14:40:18

I enjoyed A Moveable Feast.

I like Zola's Rougon-Macquart books much better than Therese Raquin - the Paris ones include L'Assommoir, Nana and La Bonheur Des Dames (The Ladies' Pleasure - there are other translations of the title) - the last is the one that was recently dramatised (and transposed to a Northern English city) as The Paradise.

BestIsWest Fri 01-Mar-13 23:31:18

Oh dear. The perils of Kindle. Have just downloaded A Moveable Feast too.

BestIsWest Fri 01-Mar-13 23:26:00

Thoroughly enjoyed the Orwell and the Nancy Mitford so a big thank you to everyone who recommended those. The Paris Wife is on it's way to my kindle.

I have been sidetracked somewhat as my utterly fantastic library found me Orwell's collected non fiction so I'm now reading The Road to Wigan Pier.

Onlymee I adored Frederick Forsyth as a teenager - am sorely tempted to read The Day of The Jackal again.

sieglinde Mon 18-Feb-13 09:28:54

Yyy for A Moveable Feast. Not just Deux Magots - also Lipp and Closerie des Lilas and indeed Pre aux Clercs. And also his Fiesta - first half is set in Paris. I'd read all those ahead of The Paris Wife.

Has anyone said Notre Dame de Paris, also by Hugo?

Has anyone said Balzac, especially Lost illusions?

aftereight Sun 17-Feb-13 19:32:50

Another vote for The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Really original story and interesting protagonist.

BikeRunSki Brazil Sun 17-Feb-13 19:32:07

The Woman in the Fifth - Douglas Kennedy.

onlymeee Sun 17-Feb-13 19:26:46

And of course there is The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth.

tripfiction Sat 09-Feb-13 17:48:57

Here's a mix of genres for novels set in Paris:

A Novel Bookstore by Laurence Cosse
The Good Thief's Guide to Paris by Chris Ewan
April in Paris by Michael Wallner
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
Ominous: Borders: Coffee by Peter Standish Evans
Pure by Andrew Miller
The Emperor of Paris by C S Richardson
The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay

And for a couple of chicklit suggestions click on: http://tripfiction.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/flirty-fun-in-paris.html

And just out in time for your trip you could try: Jenny Colgan's The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris.
Have fun!

FreddoBaggyMac Sat 09-Feb-13 08:50:38

Just want to second 'The Paris Wife' - fabulous book, made me want to set off for Paris immediately!

stubbornstains Fri 08-Feb-13 20:49:15

I watched Before Sunrise after Before Sunset, and was a bit disappointed. Maybe it's because I was a bit disappointed by Vienna too?

1978andallthat Fri 08-Feb-13 20:37:51

Watch Before Sunrise and Before Sunset on DVD

Thornintherose Fri 08-Feb-13 20:36:51

Another vote for The Paris Wife

beanandspud Fri 08-Feb-13 20:35:07

The Phantom of the Opera (Gaston LeRoux?) is very good!

Helpyourself Fri 08-Feb-13 20:30:23

Another vote for Zola. Especially L'Assomoir. I've not yet read Les Misérables, but it's similar in subject matter, less romantic and grittier.

stubbornstains Fri 08-Feb-13 20:25:12

x-posted!

Well there's your answer.....send 'em off to Shakespeare & Co maybe they'll lose their virginity like I did

(sorry, Friday night wine....)

MrsRebeccaDanvers Fri 08-Feb-13 20:23:32

Therese Raquin by Emile Zola

stubbornstains Fri 08-Feb-13 20:22:26

God, I nearly forgot OP- if you're a book fanatic in Paris you MUST go to Shakespeare & Co. It's on the Left Bank quais, right opposite Notre Dame (Rue de la Bucherie). Crammed with English and French wonderful books...

(The opening scenes of Before Sunset are set there smile)

(I stayed there when I was 16 grin)

BestIsWest Fri 08-Feb-13 20:22:14

With the teenage DCs in the same room.

stubbornstains Fri 08-Feb-13 20:18:52

Ooee OP! Tres posh....

BestIsWest Fri 08-Feb-13 20:18:38

I meant to say thank you all so much thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now