Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society...what next?

(15 Posts)
ilovecolinfirth Thu 07-Feb-13 13:02:35

Love this book so much. Didn't think I'd enjoy the format of being written in letters. Has anyone got any recommendations for what to read next?
Thank you!

toughdecisions Thu 07-Feb-13 14:02:13

Some similar themes in Rule Britannia by Daphne Du Maurier, also not heavy going.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 07-Feb-13 18:25:58

If you like stories about Guernsey, I'd recommend The Book of Ebenezer le Page by G B Edwards. It's very very good.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Thu 07-Feb-13 22:04:34

Oh, what a shame! I had that book on my shelves for about 15 years, never read it and eventually gave it away. Should I get another copy?

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Thu 07-Feb-13 22:05:46

Sorry, not making myself clear, I meant The Book of Ebenezer le Page, not one of the others mentioned above.

Will go to see if I can track down a copy on amazon or elsewhere. Wonder if it's still in print?

Cooroo Fri 08-Feb-13 07:30:56

I'm thinking of suggesting the Guernsey book for my book club - we're 50:50 men and women, so i usually try to avoid anything too overtly girly. The subject sounds right - the guys like a bit of war history - do you think men will enjoy reading it too?

MrsMeeple Fri 08-Feb-13 08:04:14

Have you read Land Girls, (think it's by Angela Huth)?

ilovecolinfirth Fri 08-Feb-13 08:10:54

Some great ideas thanks. I'll write them down and see what I can get. I have read Rule Britania several years ago...think I might pick it up and re-read too.

I would definitely recommend it for a book club with men and women. It's very light hearted, not overly male or female.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 08-Feb-13 08:21:16

Middle - there's an audio version of The Book of Ebenezer le Page available, read by Roy Dotrice. I've seen it listed on our library's audio download pages. I read the novel years ago, and kept it because I loved it, but it's got a bit fragile now grin Roy Dotrice came from Guernsey so can do an authentic accent for old Ebenezer. Hope you manage to get it, because it really is fab.

anonymosity Fri 08-Feb-13 17:14:16

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (you'll need to check spelling of author)

GeorginaWorsley Sat 09-Feb-13 21:51:07

OOH love Channel Islands fiction.Ebenezer Le Page excellent,also recommend
Half Hidden by Emma Blair
Island Madness by Tim something or other
Occupation
by Guy Walters
Collaborator by Margaret Leroy

lamprey42 Tue 12-Feb-13 00:41:21

Not Channel Islands related but I think 'Major Pettigrew's last stand' by Helen Simonson has a similar feel to it if you like odd love stories.

LifeInADay Tue 12-Feb-13 23:38:02

I've just finished Days of Grace by Catherine Hall which I totally recommend

DeeBeee Wed 13-Feb-13 11:09:35

Currently reading The book of lies by Mary Horlock. Very much Guernsey fiction, I knew nothing about the island but it's made it come alive for me and the writing is great too

Benn Sat 16-Feb-13 22:05:48

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen, and The Island by Victoria Hislop, are really popular with reading groups.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now