Book club surprises

(8 Posts)
MaKettle Thu 07-Feb-13 09:45:54

If you're a member of a book club, were there any books that you would never have chosen to read that you ended up enjoying? (Not so far for me, but I've only just joined one.)

My book club has just read Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides. I've picked it up a couple of times but thought it's not really for me. Ended up enjoying it, very well-written.

Hope you enjoy your book club, I recently changed to a different one so now the women are more my age & we have a drink, so a bit more fun!

CoteDAzur Thu 07-Feb-13 10:49:47

I also read Middlesex for book club, thinking it wasn't for me, but ended up both enjoying the book and admiring the author's writing skills.

Other pleasant surprises were:

Netherland - Joseph O'Neill
Garden Of Evening Mists - Tan Twan Eng
So Much For That - Lionel Shriver
Arthur & George - Julian Barnes

MaKettle Thu 07-Feb-13 11:00:16

Thanks, Tilly: yes it's a club of congenial souls, and definitely wine!

Lamazeroo Thu 07-Feb-13 11:04:33

We've just done The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Never in a million years would I have picked this up but it was fascinating and I've since recommended it to loads of friends. My DH really enjoyed it too.

MaKettle Thu 07-Feb-13 11:05:20

Cote, I started Netherland and couldn't get past the description very early in of his wife vomiting with fright at the noise of a motorbike in the street below. Srsly? Vomiting with fright? (Awaits hoardes of people recounting the times they have done this very thing...)

CoteDAzur Thu 07-Feb-13 11:25:49

I don't remember that description, MaKettle. A bit of hyperbole in an otherwise interesting book wouldn't have put me off, tbh.

It depends on what you like, I guess. I am not a fan of "feeeelingggs" type of girly books, but enjoy a more analytical style. This guy's observations about stuff around him (especially re car parks, iirc) reminded me of J G Ballard's style. It wasn't the story that hooked me, in other words, but the "voice" of the narrator.

MaKettle Thu 07-Feb-13 11:42:34

Cote You're right, of course, about not being put off just by that: I think I'd probably already decided that I didn't like the narrative voice, and used the hyperbole as an excuse to jump ship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now