Bookmarks - tell me about yours.

(24 Posts)
anonymosity Sun 17-Feb-13 04:17:24

I use the fly cover if there is one. If its a paperback I will turn the corner of the page, or use a picture by one of my DCs

SOMETIMES I just memorize the page number I am on, saddo that I am.

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 16-Feb-13 21:18:02

I sometimes fold over the corner, but these days just use one of the millions of "receipts" from the library self-checkout machine. Do they really have to print out a long list every time?

PaddingtonBearsDuffleCoat Sat 16-Feb-13 14:03:51

I have about 5 leather ones of places I have visited. The one of York Minster is so old all the gilt has worn off but it was one I gave to my mum and it always reminds me of her when I use it now.

PeachTown Tue 12-Feb-13 08:37:01

I use my favourite photos.

waycat Tue 12-Feb-13 08:31:09

I use a bookmark DS1 (now 18) made when he was at primary school.

It's got a drawing of one of the fish he had in his tank (now mine!) at the time, a weather loach he'd christened Whiskers because - well, he had whiskers basically!

I became so attached to this little work of art that I laminated it and have used it with every book I've read ever since.

BertieBotts Sat 09-Feb-13 17:47:03

I just use random bits of paper, but currently I have a US dollar, and a German train ticket smile

cuggles Sat 09-Feb-13 17:43:49

A holograph one with hearts on that my best friends little boy gave me and wrote a good luck message on the back in his 6 yr old handwriting.....he is now 12! It was to wish me luck moving from teaching PE to a more "bookish" subject!

exexpat Fri 08-Feb-13 17:07:13

I have loads of proper ones - the nice kind they give away in bookshops as well as ones I've actually paid money for, including magnetic ones, and some DD has made me - but somehow I always seem to end up using train tickets or receipts instead.

mimbleandlittlemy Fri 08-Feb-13 17:02:14

I have some lovely jolly ones I've got from Paperchase over the years, though I lost my favourite one at some point and was heartbroken. I know this is sad, but I try to match the colour of the bookmark to the cover of the book. Is that a touch mad...??

noisytoys Wed 06-Feb-13 10:33:38

I use the photopass card we got at DisneyWorld or an old credit card

Mine are made by the DC, one made by each, so both have to be used!!! They are a rectangle of weaving, laminated onto card, and messages on the other side. Made at school, far more creative than I could ever be. I thought I had lost them (I was in sheer panic - couldn't find them for weeks) but they turned up stuck down behind a book on the shelf. Phew! I really treasure them.

My friend makes BEAUTIFUL silver bookmarks, the ones that keep your page and then a pretty bit hangs down the spine. I'd love one, but suspect it would last two minutes in this house!!! Actually, next time she is selling them, I will just have to take the plunge I think.

Galaxymum Tue 05-Feb-13 14:12:47

I used to obsessively collect bookmarks which are now stored away in a big box. I tend to swap bookmarks from quirky ones I like or postcards. At the moment I'm using a funny Senior Citizens rhyme one that my mum was using before she died. It makes me smile when I open the book.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Tue 05-Feb-13 13:17:18

runawaysimba: Thank you for the link, I really enjoyed reading the article, although I couldn't bring myself to turn over corners myself! Don't mind a bit of writing in the margins, though, as long as it's in a soft pencil.

ninjanurse: your bookmark sounds lovely smile

Tiggy114 Tue 05-Feb-13 11:19:28

Post its, corners of bills/envelopes/ cards. I buy nice bookmarks and lose them so always end up with scraps of paper.

CoteDAzur Tue 05-Feb-13 09:17:26

I have small magnetic ones that clip over the page I am on. Very neat. They never fall out.

Not that I read paper books anymore, since my Kindle arrived two years ago smile

runawaysimba Tue 05-Feb-13 06:10:20
Rpirc Tue 05-Feb-13 06:04:55

I love scrapbooking so I make my self one every now and than!!

runawaysimba Tue 05-Feb-13 05:49:57

pourmeanotherglass me too! And I used to feel terrible about it till I read an essay by Ann Fadiman on the subject and felt totally justified. Will try to find a link...

DuchessofMalfi Tue 05-Feb-13 04:59:12

I'm shocked, pourmeanotherglaas. Get yourself a bookmark mmediately shock grin

PigeonPie Mon 04-Feb-13 22:18:09

pourmeanotherglass shock you can't do that

pourmeanotherglass Mon 04-Feb-13 22:17:26

I just fold the page over.

PigeonPie Mon 04-Feb-13 22:17:25

I have collected leather bookmarks since I was a child so have a large collection which now appear to depart from my bedside drawer and end up in everyone else's books! I do appear also to have rather a lot of books with bookmarks in waiting to be read at the moment.

I bought the DSs RNLI bookmarks at the weekend in the hope that I might get a couple back!

I couldn't be without bookmarks.

ninjanurse Mon 04-Feb-13 22:12:22

My DS makes me bookmarks all the time. The one I have at the moment is shaped like a rocket and he has written on it 'I love mummy mummy loves books'.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Mon 04-Feb-13 21:51:19

DH has used the same bookmark for years, one made by one of the DCs. I have a big selection, mostly postcards, and tend to choose one which goes with the subject of the book IYSWIM.

You?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now