Bookmarks - tell me about yours.

(24 Posts)
MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Mon 04-Feb-13 21:51:19

DH has used the same bookmark for years, one made by one of the DCs. I have a big selection, mostly postcards, and tend to choose one which goes with the subject of the book IYSWIM.

You?

ninjanurse Mon 04-Feb-13 22:12:22

My DS makes me bookmarks all the time. The one I have at the moment is shaped like a rocket and he has written on it 'I love mummy mummy loves books'.

PigeonPie Mon 04-Feb-13 22:17:25

I have collected leather bookmarks since I was a child so have a large collection which now appear to depart from my bedside drawer and end up in everyone else's books! I do appear also to have rather a lot of books with bookmarks in waiting to be read at the moment.

I bought the DSs RNLI bookmarks at the weekend in the hope that I might get a couple back!

I couldn't be without bookmarks.

pourmeanotherglass Mon 04-Feb-13 22:17:26

I just fold the page over.

PigeonPie Mon 04-Feb-13 22:18:09

pourmeanotherglass shock you can't do that

DuchessofMalfi Tue 05-Feb-13 04:59:12

I'm shocked, pourmeanotherglaas. Get yourself a bookmark mmediately shock grin

runawaysimba Tue 05-Feb-13 05:49:57

pourmeanotherglass me too! And I used to feel terrible about it till I read an essay by Ann Fadiman on the subject and felt totally justified. Will try to find a link...

Rpirc Tue 05-Feb-13 06:04:55

I love scrapbooking so I make my self one every now and than!!

runawaysimba Tue 05-Feb-13 06:10:20
CoteDAzur Tue 05-Feb-13 09:17:26

I have small magnetic ones that clip over the page I am on. Very neat. They never fall out.

Not that I read paper books anymore, since my Kindle arrived two years ago smile

Tiggy114 Tue 05-Feb-13 11:19:28

Post its, corners of bills/envelopes/ cards. I buy nice bookmarks and lose them so always end up with scraps of paper.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Tue 05-Feb-13 13:17:18

runawaysimba: Thank you for the link, I really enjoyed reading the article, although I couldn't bring myself to turn over corners myself! Don't mind a bit of writing in the margins, though, as long as it's in a soft pencil.

ninjanurse: your bookmark sounds lovely smile

Galaxymum Tue 05-Feb-13 14:12:47

I used to obsessively collect bookmarks which are now stored away in a big box. I tend to swap bookmarks from quirky ones I like or postcards. At the moment I'm using a funny Senior Citizens rhyme one that my mum was using before she died. It makes me smile when I open the book.

Mine are made by the DC, one made by each, so both have to be used!!! They are a rectangle of weaving, laminated onto card, and messages on the other side. Made at school, far more creative than I could ever be. I thought I had lost them (I was in sheer panic - couldn't find them for weeks) but they turned up stuck down behind a book on the shelf. Phew! I really treasure them.

My friend makes BEAUTIFUL silver bookmarks, the ones that keep your page and then a pretty bit hangs down the spine. I'd love one, but suspect it would last two minutes in this house!!! Actually, next time she is selling them, I will just have to take the plunge I think.

noisytoys Wed 06-Feb-13 10:33:38

I use the photopass card we got at DisneyWorld or an old credit card

mimbleandlittlemy Fri 08-Feb-13 17:02:14

I have some lovely jolly ones I've got from Paperchase over the years, though I lost my favourite one at some point and was heartbroken. I know this is sad, but I try to match the colour of the bookmark to the cover of the book. Is that a touch mad...??

exexpat Fri 08-Feb-13 17:07:13

I have loads of proper ones - the nice kind they give away in bookshops as well as ones I've actually paid money for, including magnetic ones, and some DD has made me - but somehow I always seem to end up using train tickets or receipts instead.

cuggles Sat 09-Feb-13 17:43:49

A holograph one with hearts on that my best friends little boy gave me and wrote a good luck message on the back in his 6 yr old handwriting.....he is now 12! It was to wish me luck moving from teaching PE to a more "bookish" subject!

BertieBotts Germany Sat 09-Feb-13 17:47:03

I just use random bits of paper, but currently I have a US dollar, and a German train ticket smile

waycat Tue 12-Feb-13 08:31:09

I use a bookmark DS1 (now 18) made when he was at primary school.

It's got a drawing of one of the fish he had in his tank (now mine!) at the time, a weather loach he'd christened Whiskers because - well, he had whiskers basically!

I became so attached to this little work of art that I laminated it and have used it with every book I've read ever since.

PeachTown Tue 12-Feb-13 08:37:01

I use my favourite photos.

PaddingtonBearsDuffleCoat Sat 16-Feb-13 14:03:51

I have about 5 leather ones of places I have visited. The one of York Minster is so old all the gilt has worn off but it was one I gave to my mum and it always reminds me of her when I use it now.

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 16-Feb-13 21:18:02

I sometimes fold over the corner, but these days just use one of the millions of "receipts" from the library self-checkout machine. Do they really have to print out a long list every time?

anonymosity Sun 17-Feb-13 04:17:24

I use the fly cover if there is one. If its a paperback I will turn the corner of the page, or use a picture by one of my DCs

SOMETIMES I just memorize the page number I am on, saddo that I am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now