Just finished 'me before you'- by jojo moyes- brilliant! (Sniff!)

(40 Posts)
spikemomma Sun 03-Feb-13 21:01:26

Sob... What a lovely, moving, funny, enlightening book! I really didn't think I'd like it - How wrong was I?! Jojo Moyes is a brilliant writer- I'll defiantly read more of her books. Feel all emotionally exhausted now...

aftermay Thu 07-Feb-13 21:52:02

I liked it. It's not an easy subject matter and she used a few clichés. Still worth a few late evenings.

mrsbadger2 Sat 23-Feb-13 15:08:22

Wanted to find out what you all thought about this book so a late post. I loved it, generally, though I thought Lou was a bit of a stereotypical chick-lit character, but loved the all-or-nothing character of Will. Intelligently done.

onedev Sat 23-Feb-13 15:40:19

I really enjoyed it & sobbed lots at the end!

Spoke to lots of people about the subject matter also, so definitely not the usual chick lit!

DuchessofMalfi Sat 23-Feb-13 17:12:16

A Perfectly Good Man by Patrick Gale also discusses the same subject so, if you liked Me Before You, then I'd recommend that one too, although it isn't solely about that (first part of the novel only). One of my favourite reads of last year, I think I found that one more upsetting than Me Before You.

mrsbadger2 Sat 23-Feb-13 19:07:43

I may try A Perfectly Good Man as I found Me before You so good. Anyone read anything else good this half term ? I have to say having a good book on the go has kept me sane.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 23-Feb-13 20:37:25

I finished reading The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes today - v.good.

Also listened to a couple of audio books - Tess of the D'Urbervilles and The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett, and started reading Back Story by David Mitchell (glad I didn't pay full price for this, got it in the 12 days of Kindle Christmas sale for £1.99 - it's not as good as I'd hoped it might be - his rants on tv can be quite funny but on paper they tend to fall a bit flat).

mrsbadger2 Sat 23-Feb-13 21:21:51

Thanks for that. Will try The Sense of an Ending. Have Wolf Hall kicking around the house but can't just face it. Have recently read The Very thought of You by Rosie Allison which was quite good, also Judith O'Reilly's latest book about good deeds was very fuuny.

cjbk1 Sun 24-Feb-13 08:06:44

what the others said about predictability, holes in plot, the character of Patrick being underdeveloped, an author called Jojo ffs, and to mention this nonsense in the same post as poor Tony Nicklinson is a bit insulting sad

BlackAffronted Mon 25-Feb-13 12:53:20

I liked it, and cried buckets at the end, as it didt end how I wanted it to/expected it to.

I enjoyed it. It was passed on to me by a friend and I didn't think I'd like it - it started off very 'chick lit' but got better after the first few chapters. I'm a hard-hearted old bag but it made me cry a little bit at the end...

I read The Girl You Left Behind off the back of that and really enjoyed that too smile

BooksandaCuppa Tue 05-Mar-13 22:21:36

Just finished it. Really didn't like it. Really badly written, Huge gap between the undereducated character that Lou is supposed to be and the language the author gives her. Really predictable all the way through. Thought there would be some kind of twist when everyone describes how they've sobbed at the end but it did nothing for me. I thought Will's character was the best written.

Birdies Fri 08-Mar-13 14:41:05

She uses the word 'reflexive' too many times which irritated me. I enjoyed most of it though - a nice easy read and fairly addictive

reastie Fri 08-Mar-13 14:52:54

I thought I'd hate it even when reading the first few chapters the writing annoyed me but I got caught up in it and it really moved me <emotional wreck>

mrsshackleton Fri 08-Mar-13 15:06:06

Ithinkofhappy - so glad someone else felt the same as me! I found it so patronising. Also hated the way people kept calling Lou "Miss ... whateverthesurnamewas." Like she was living in the 1950s. Gah.

BooksandaCuppa Fri 08-Mar-13 18:14:01

Really patronising and, I thought, very outmoded view of the 'working class' and people from the 'provinces'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now