The Art of Fielding

(5 Posts)
lilibet Mon 04-Feb-13 22:07:50

A Prayer for Owen Meaney is in my top five all time books, I love it. Yes, I thought about that with the baseball hitting Owen.

The VW Beetle in the school and the nativity play are two of the funniest things I have ever read.

I'm now reading The Tin Drum which has also been compared to Owen Meaney, but it's not grabbing me.

I read Virgin Suicides recently, same writer as The Marriage Plot, it wasn't what I expected.

Stokey Mon 04-Feb-13 20:58:17

I agree about the whole Pella Henry thing being very odd, but I guess it was a symptom of Henry's loss of self and Pella's apathy. And maybe it needed to happen for the final redemption? Pella & Schwartz who were obviously made for each other needed a break too, to make the ending better. At least there was a proper ending, and kinda nice that Henry took over Schwartz role.

Have you read A Prayer for Owen Meany? It reminded me of that while I was reading it, particularly the two central characters. But I also read The Marriage Plot just after The Art of Fielding, and now looking back am getting the two a bit mixed up, though at the time much preferred The Art of Fielding, far more interesting characters.

lilibet Sat 02-Feb-13 15:03:37

Oooh, good! someone turned up.

SPOILERS IN THIS POST IN CASE ANYONE TURNS UP WHO HASN'T READ IT!

I thought it was very good at the start but tailed off. I couldn't understand why Pella slept with Henry and thought it was at that point where the book started to loose me a bit.

I also didn't think that Owen's feelings for Guert were real until the second 'funeral'.

I did love Schwartz though.

Stokey Fri 01-Feb-13 15:26:31

I have, I liked it, though a bit US studenty. What did you think?

lilibet Wed 30-Jan-13 12:17:05

Has anyone read this? iIve jsut finished it and would love to chat about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now