Which Male Literary Character Would You Do Til Their Ears Bled?

(331 Posts)
LaQueen Sun 27-Jan-13 19:58:58

I'm reading through John Conolly's Charlie Parker series...and I have to say, I wouldn't say no...

LapinDeBois Thu 31-Jan-13 22:32:30

Right, ok, I have now googled Eric Northman so at least I know who you're all talking about.

pointythings Thu 31-Jan-13 22:42:14

OTBWAWW were you aware that Paul Darrow (Avon in Blake's 7) played Sam Vimes in the stage version of Guards! Guards! And I can totally see that, he has that air of world-weary cynicism. Mind you, I'd have done Avon, only this thread is about books, not TV, worse luck.

And I've just totally outed myself as an utter science fiction geek. Oh well.

I thought Charles Dance made a very good Vetinari in Going Postal, much better than Jeremy Irons. One tends to see Vetinari as dark and Dance is fair, but he managed to overcome that easily.

What? How the eff did I miss that! Two reasons to fancy Sam Vimes!

Dance is getting sexier as he gets older - even though he's going totally craggy.

OK I think we need a TV thread too...

Wallison Thu 31-Jan-13 22:51:18

Avon in Blake's 7 awoke feelings in the junior-school me that I had no hope of articulating. Has he been in any other things?

RustyBear Thu 31-Jan-13 23:01:10

He was in an otherwise rather forgettable episode of Doctor Who- Timelash, and he also played Mr Tallboy in Murder Must Advertise - bringing us back to Lord Peter Wimsey....

Also he did an American Express ad where he was all smiley - put me off him - I preferred him stern.

Wallison Thu 31-Jan-13 23:07:19

Thank you for that. Blimey, I wish I'd seen either of those.

Wallison Thu 31-Jan-13 23:12:08

Can't remember the American Express advert either - maybe I blocked it out. Avon was a great character - I do like a bad boy with guts and brains. But I must stop derailing a fab thread - sorry, LaQueen.

trixymalixy Thu 31-Jan-13 23:22:07

Am I the only one that would rather do the Lannisters than the Starks? Both Jaime and Tyrion blush

and Eric Northman, Aragorn and Legolas.

CheerfulYank Fri 01-Feb-13 04:33:27

I'd shag the Lannisters senseless, Trixy.

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Fri 01-Feb-13 09:21:24

In my head, Vetinari looks like Mr Burns from the Simpsons, so very much a no to that one...

Jaime Lannister starts off as an utterly repellant incestuous treacherous bastard, but he does develop shaggability as the series goes on and he learns a bit of humility. IMO.

Cooroo Fri 01-Feb-13 16:06:25

Oh my what an interesting thread. Wonder how I'd feel if it was a bunch of lads discussing?

So - lots of very tasty suggestions.

Obviously Aragorn, Mr Rochester, Howl, Ned Stark, Luther (wd have to be Idris Elba) and Jesse Pinkman - oh, that's not a book is it? Never mind.
(not Hal Hunt, though I loved the books and read several to my DD)

RedPencils Fri 01-Feb-13 16:19:07

^seems like a lot of fantasy characters, which is not usually my bag. Might give it a go for some literary hotties.

John Thornton. He would Meet me off the train after work and snog the face off me on the station platform. <overlooks that this didn't happen in the book>
Luke Costello.
Sirius Black and the Weasley twins

Takver Fri 01-Feb-13 16:46:54

Am I the only person on here with a soft spot for Corwin, Prince of Amber? Though I suspect I'd have to get rid of some shockingly 70s clothes grin

MadCap Fri 01-Feb-13 17:15:04

I'd have to second Jaime Fraser!

Speaking of Weasley twins, how come one of them is so much better looking than the other by film eight?

sieglinde Fri 01-Feb-13 17:37:33

but joan, wouldn't the fun of doing P Merrick be to make him forget all that in lots of deep, shagging sin? Make him really swim in guilt?

That said, I'd take Giles Marlow instead. And Jack Aubrey, too. Happy for both at once. The naval tradition... grin

motherinferior Fri 01-Feb-13 18:01:53

I would also very much do Sam Vimes. Not least because I imagine Vimes as Gene Hunt.

Which is really rather knee-tremblingly fabulous.

And he's shown he likes a strong-minded middle aged laydee...

KeithLeMonde Fri 01-Feb-13 18:10:39

Can't believe no-one else has the horn for Joe Kavalier. I love him.

echt Fri 01-Feb-13 21:10:44

My two faves have already been mentioned:

Bill Haydon

Harry Paget Flashman; cad, bounder, poltroon. And hung like a horse.

TunipTheVegedude Fri 01-Feb-13 21:13:10

Surely Flash must have syphilis by now? I wouldn't risk it.

trixymalixy Fri 01-Feb-13 21:18:08

boulevard totally agree with you on both your Mr Burns and Jaime Lannister points.

I must re read some of the Terry Pratchet books, my image of Sam Vimes is not that of a man I'd want to shag.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 01-Feb-13 21:24:30

Humbert Humbert!

Meee-yowza!

Clary Fri 01-Feb-13 21:49:58

MI LOL @ strong-minded middle-aged laydee, that's why I like LPW I suspect! grin

She makes the point often and often that Harriet is not pretty and knows her own mind, phew that's OK then wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now