Book Club - my turn to nominate book

(7 Posts)
Parisbanana Mon 28-Jan-13 22:07:17

Under the Skin is a great book and perfect for a book club.... Not too long, will certainly get you all talking, and one of the points of a book club is that you read things you might not normally.
I think all those points have been made by other posters already!
I also belong to a school mums book club and the only one we read that was universally loved was The Sisters brothers and this was a book which when suggested was not particularly enthusiastically receives!

Gods Own Country by Ross Raisin sparked a fantastic book group for us. ITs not too long, beautifully written and sticks with you for a very long time afterwards. I think its the perfect Book Group book.

DoItToJulia Sat 26-Jan-13 22:00:26

Or the American Wife by Curtis Sittingfeld. Brilliant. Don't google or research it though, it will spoil the surprise. My book of 2012.

dalek Sat 26-Jan-13 21:58:20

I was going to suggest Under the Skin! I think its fantastic for a book group - not too long and thought provoking! Good luck x

KeithLeMonde Sat 26-Jan-13 11:05:25

I'd say go for it - I haven't read the books you've mentioned but if you love them, then maybe others will too. My reading group tend to chose things I would never want to read (lots of chick lit), and I felt a bit nervous about choosing at first, but when it's my turn now I chose something I love or something I would want to read but haven't read yet. Some they have enjoyed and others they've hated but at least there is normally a lively discussion!

I know it might make me sound like a book snob but I do like the fact that I can introduce a work of literature to someone who previously thought that 50 Shades of Grey is an "amazing book". After all, it's a reading group so I am guessing they want to explore literature.......

reallyyummymummy Fri 25-Jan-13 21:42:02

I would go for Under the Skin. I have not read it but the fact you have said it still stays with you makes me want to read it. Secondly, the point of a book club is surely to read things that you would not usually read.

Rollergirl1 Fri 25-Jan-13 21:34:26

I really need some guidance here: This is a school mum's book-club. We have had 4 books. There is only one of them I have liked so far. They were:

Fifty Shades of Grey
Shadow of the wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon (this is the one i liked)
The Secret life of a Slummy Mummy - Fiona Neill
The Secrets between Us - Louise Douglas

I loved Shadow of the wind, it was amazing and i would never have found it without the book-club. I have loads of books that i love and really want to suggest but i'm worried that they're just too obscure and weird for the majority of this book-club.

My first is 'Under the Skin' by Michel Faber. I read this book 10 years ago and it still stays with me now. But I think it might be a bit way out for the other people.

My other is 'The Gargoyle', which is probably similar in terms of being a bit "out there" for other readers?

Finally, i'd love to suggest "The Passage" but know it's far too long to be a book-club option...

Help please???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now