Views on Anita Shreve please

(37 Posts)
MaKettle Thu 24-Jan-13 22:36:02

I read a couple of her books about 15 years ago, and just picked up Testimony in the library today. Would it be fair to say that she's kind of a cross between Anita Brookner and Joanna Trollope? (But American, obv.)

anonymosity Mon 28-Jan-13 00:06:14

Also really enjoy Tyler and Dunmore. They're definitely not "mass appeal" fiction writers and their works are largely not plot driven - so not thrilling / overly romantic etc. Dumore is also a poet and you can see that in her work, its very lyrical. But both these writers qualify as "literature" and have won prizes accordingly. I do agree they are far more low key and probably don't appeal to everyone.

mimbleandlittlemy Mon 28-Jan-13 12:29:12

gailforce, try The Patchwork Planet, Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant or The Amateur Marriage as starters. I don't love every one of Anne Tyler's books but (puts on posey hat), I think she usually has something interesting to say about the human condition (takes off posey hat).

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 28-Jan-13 19:35:38

I loved "Back When We Were Grown Ups." And most of Anne Tyler's books. I also liked "A Slipping Down Life" and "Ladder of Years." Anita Shreve's earlier books were better, I think, although I quite enjoyed "Body Surfing." Must try some Helen Dunmore.

Chandon Mon 28-Jan-13 20:04:06

Nice to see someone else who likes the same books smile

AnyFucker Mon 28-Jan-13 20:08:32

I love all these. I like my fiction melancholy and introspective, much like the films I enjoy watching. I hate books/films with lots of action and loads going on. I still find these novels suspenseful even though not all that much happens, really smile

AnyFucker Mon 28-Jan-13 20:10:33

Helen Dunmore also does brilliant short stories which are perfect for reading imbetween every cocktail/dip in the pool on holiday smile

I recently reread "Love of Fat Men" and really enjoyed it again

Shybairns Mon 28-Jan-13 20:21:08

I loved Fortunes Rock! One of my all time favourite books. Wasn't so amazed by the rest.

Chandon Mon 28-Jan-13 20:39:58

Ah, melancholy and introspective...that would include all Brookner novels then.

I have recently discovered Alice Munro, and loved the Hateship, Friendship courtship one. Very beautiful stories. A bit sad, but somehow uplifting in its subtle humanity.

What is fortune's rock like?

AnyFucker Mon 28-Jan-13 20:44:00

Yep, another thumbs up for Alice Munro.

Never heard of Anita Brookner.... >>>heads to Amazon

AnyFucker Mon 28-Jan-13 20:44:35

any particular recommendations by AB ?

pinkpaperpiggy Mon 28-Jan-13 20:57:30

I'd recommend hotel du lac. It's years since I read any Brookner but I know I liked that one.

AnyFucker Mon 28-Jan-13 21:29:54

thanks, will look it up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now