Steampunk - getting started?

(7 Posts)
whatkungfuthat Thu 24-Jan-13 08:36:02

I really like idea of Steampunk but have no idea which books to start with. Can anyone recommend me a few good ones? Thanks thanks

Snorbs Thu 24-Jan-13 08:49:31

The one that springs immediately to mind is The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age has quite a steampunky feel to one of the societies it explores as well.

whatkungfuthat Thu 24-Jan-13 08:52:31

Thanks Snorbs, that's great, I'll check them out.

I recently read 'The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man' by Mark Hodder which is apparently Steampunk.

It went from rambling, to interesting, to mysterious, to grotesque. I'm still not sure whether I liked it but remain slightly disturbed by parts of it (I think I am easily disturbed though).

Fillybuster Thu 24-Jan-13 17:43:37

I love both of Snorbs recommendations...exactly what I would have suggested as a good starting point.

Greymalken Thu 24-Jan-13 21:51:11

There's Steam Punk Holmes its an interesting series also I can recommend the Johannes Cabal series very good set of books and there is also the Pax Imperium series.

whatkungfuthat Fri 25-Jan-13 07:37:51

Thanks everyone, looks like I'm going to be busy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now