Recommend me a really good love story?

(22 Posts)
Hadmeathello Wed 23-Jan-13 18:42:53

Please?

Needn't have a happy ending. Something with a good story, not fluff grin and set in the modern day

racingheart Wed 23-Jan-13 20:31:11

How modern?

Have you read `The Way I Found Her' by Rose Tremain? or 'The Reader' by Bernhard Schlink? Or 'An Equal Music' by Vikram Seth.

Have you read 'The Kite Runner'? It's not a love story but the love story in it really hooked me. I love the section where he falls in love with the girl at the Afghan flea market. It's so vivid.

The Time Traveler's Wife.

::stumbles off, sobbing::

AlwaysWantingMore Wed 23-Jan-13 21:02:38

I just finished 'Random Acts of Heroic Love' which was really good. Very sad but so very romantic! Not fluffy but totally readable.

Feel a bit teary thinking about it! .

Hadmeathello Wed 23-Jan-13 21:03:21

Thank you Racing Heart, I've not read any if your suggestions. Have read another Rose Tremain which I enjoyed so I'll have a look at those.

Horatio, have read and enjoyed Time Travellers Wife.

I just want something to get caught up in I think.

Hadmeathello Wed 23-Jan-13 21:04:09

Horatia, sorry.

Hadmeathello Wed 23-Jan-13 21:05:59

AlwaysWantingMore, not read that one either. Thank you.

shartsi Wed 23-Jan-13 21:08:13

Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas.

MarkGruffalohohoho Wed 23-Jan-13 21:13:26

Just read the Kite Runner - tis an excellent book but utterly heartbreaking and not for the faint hearted/vulnerable/emotional/pregnant me due to the amount of child abuse in it.
Took me a week to stop crying.

Also read Tara Road - maeve binchy - all sorts of relationships in it, bit soap opera-y but enjoyable. It is long but decent enough page turner.

An invisible sign of my own - love that book - far better than lemon cake bollocks (Same author).

Girls' Guide to hunting and fishing - still adore. So much better than the title/chick lit expectations.

highlandcoo Wed 23-Jan-13 22:39:48

I found the love story aspect of My Dear I Wanted to Tell You very touching, although there's more to the book than that.

The Idea of Perfection by Kate Grenville is a very unromantic love story set in Australia.

Thin Air by Sue Gee also describes love later in life - she's a very under-rated writer IMO.

anonymosity Fri 25-Jan-13 04:31:58

I agree, The Time Traveller's Wife - for modern day at least.
Why does it have to be modern day? Can it be last century (but written recently?) - The Haunting of Maddie Clare by Simone St. John. Very romantic, a little sexy and quite exciting on the ghost hunting front.

KeithLeMonde Fri 25-Jan-13 14:26:38

The Mysteries of Glass by Sue Gee (love Sue Gee BTW) - just recommended it on the thread asking for romantic books. It's luffly.

TeaTowelQueen Fri 25-Jan-13 14:36:58

Try novels by Erica James, or if you want a bit more fluffy, Katie Fforde. My recent fave was The Girl you left behind by Jojo Moyes.

iwantavuvezela Fri 25-Jan-13 14:38:45

Another one for Time TravellerscWife

Or Peter Careys Oscar and Lucinda

BrianButterfield Fri 25-Jan-13 14:42:04

"You Had me at Hello" is a bit chick-litty but very satisfying.

AntimonySalts Fri 25-Jan-13 14:43:30

The Line of Beauty. As a straight, Tory-voting, Thatcher-loving child of the 80s, I expected to detest it on every possible score. It is stunningly fabulous, and an incredibly moving love story. [weeps]

StephaniePowers Fri 25-Jan-13 14:45:52

Oscar and Lucinda is a good read.
I also liked barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal SUmmer

StephaniePowers Fri 25-Jan-13 14:46:19

Oh YES to The Line of Beauty, that is a fantastic read and so heart-wrenching

KeithLeMonde Fri 25-Jan-13 14:47:53

Ooh, mention of Jojo Moyes reminds me - Foreign Fruit is a good one. It made me cry.

I too loved The Line of Beauty (also straight but a Labour-voting, Thatcher-hating child of the 80s here) but I wouldn't have described it as a love story. Definitely worth reading if anyone wants a recommendation for an all-round wonderful read though.

ninjanurse Fri 25-Jan-13 15:49:32

The Last Letter from your Lover by Jojo Moyes is also excellent.

racingheart Sat 26-Jan-13 21:06:46

Yes to Oscar and Lucinda. And incredibly pleased at all these Sue Gee recommendations. She really deserves them. I worked with her years ago and she is utterly lovely and unassuming. I hope her ears are burning.

highlandcoo Sat 26-Jan-13 23:35:05

That's good to know racingheart - I am a real Sue Gee fan. Earth and Heaven is one of the few books that has made me really cry. Must reread it this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now