Kindle/Amazon Rant and Sobbings :(

(36 Posts)

My Kindle is either dead or at death's door I think sad
It froze, then it was as if it had a time delay on it so even forcing a reboot would take about 20 minutes to do anything.
I spent 8 hours messing on and got the latest software installed, rebooted it AGAIN, charged it right up, and switched on. It worked beautifully for just long enough for me to read three pages, then froze again.
The icing on the cake is that bloody Amazon have done away with the emails for customer services and I have to either phone (at goodness knows how much a minute) or do a "Live Chat" with one of their bods. Which means trying to type fast, and explain that I've done XYZ twice etc etc and keeping my temper, and being undisturbed by anyone.
I suspect the damn thing will be just out of warranty so that they won't replace it for me sad so it's fubar and all my books are trapped in it <sobs>
I don't even feel better for the rant <wails> <gnashes teeth>
Even smiling makes my face ache sad
<glum>
someone say something vaguely sympathetic or make me a nice brew or something please?

LittleMissFantabulous Sun 27-Jan-13 21:57:03

I've had three kindles die. I'm saving up for a nook now, see if the build quality and software is any bettersad

chipmonkey Sun 27-Jan-13 22:47:42

Always remember as well that it is worth Amazon's while to make sure you have a device. If you have a device, then you will download more books and they will make more money. So it's worth their while to give you a good discount.

edam Sun 27-Jan-13 22:51:57

Sale of Goods Act applies. Damn the warranty, if a product is not working, it should be replaced, or repaired, or you should get a refund. There is a thing in the Act about reasonable expectations - so you wouldn't get a refund for a 20 year old hoover. But it is reasonable to expect an electronic device to last for more than two years.

If someone took them to court under the SoGA, I bet they'd win...

Also download Calibre (on phone, have had wine, linking too hard ;)) and then you have all your books on your computer as well as via Amazon

WibbleBoy Mon 28-Jan-13 13:18:50

I've had my Kindle Keyboard replaced twice now. The first time was when the casing started to crack when 10 months old. I returned the old one and Amazon replaced it for free.

This replacement started playing up a few months ago (replacement was 14 months old). Like the OP said, I started getting random freezes which required a reset, then over Xmas it completely broke. I went on Amazon's live chat and told them how I was disappointed about the build quality, mentioned the Sale of Goods act briefly and was then told I would be contacted by the relevant team.

A couple of hours later I received an apology email stating that they would send me a reconditioned Keyboard 3G model at no cost.

They didn't ask for the old one back, so at the FIL's insistence, I stripped down the Kindle, removed the motherboard and baked it in the oven to reseat the soldered components. After reassemling the unit, it was working fine again (though the serial number is now blacklisted from the Amazon servers). The problem was obviously down to a motherboard fault.

So, best bet is to contact Amazon, then if they don't help you can try to fix it yourself, either by baking the mobo (risky)l, or possibly getting a one with a damaged screen from eBay and replacing it that way.

Trills Mon 28-Jan-13 13:28:19

I think live internet chat makes more sense than email as you can say "yes I've tried that" and no have to wait hours to get the next instruction.

Trills Mon 28-Jan-13 13:31:46

If you want to read books don't get a Fire, get a Paperwhite

elkiedee Tue 29-Jan-13 10:22:41

My mum's dh wasn't offered much of a deal from Amazon for a Kindle which had stopped working, so he bought a new one from an offline shop. He was still able to register with Amazon and get all his books already purchased on it.

Snog Sat 09-Feb-13 21:45:37

Kindle customer service in my opinion has been shockingly awful and the product is clearly low quality and unreliable. I had the 3 g one.

Have now got a paperwhite which I like much more but if I goes wrong I would rather throw it in the closest lake than try to engage eith customer services again

I know I'm resurrecting a pretty old thread but I need to Squeeeeeeeeee - my wonderful son has bought me a Kindle Fire for Mother's Day! I had no idea he even had any money, bless him, he must have saved up for ages and ages, and he just popped up and handed it to me and looked all sheepish and shrugged when I fell on his neck weeping with joy and singing his praises grin
Left to myself I think I would have saved for a paperwhite, but we have downloaded all the books I was half way through when the old Kindle died (all 17 grin so I can find out what happens) and got a load of freebie games that are causing the whole family to fight over the thing for a turn grin
I think I may as well just declare myself addicted now and have done with it!

Good lad!!!! Well done him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now