cutting for stone _ marvellous!

(10 Posts)
Alonglongway Sat 02-Feb-13 00:14:20

Yes - wasn't sure at first but ended up loving this book

elkiedee Tue 29-Jan-13 10:24:35

I loved it too.

axure Wed 23-Jan-13 15:47:54

I really enjoyed this book, found the fistula info very interesting, albeit disturbing, and it was great that a male character wanted to do work to help women. About to read Poisonwood Bible, set in the Congo. I love books set in Africa.

UserNameAngst Mon 21-Jan-13 08:05:10

Oh I am a couple of chapters from the end! I did really get into it but really went off the central character a few chapters ago... It's our book club book and we are discussing tomorrow so if you have any choice insights I can pass of as my own I'd love to hear them!

I agree. My favourite three books of 2012 were this, Freedom and Middlesex.

FoxyRevenger Mon 21-Jan-13 07:52:30

I found it in a charity shop for a pound and it was such a bargain! Brilliant. I have already read it three or four times.

Fadqueen Mon 21-Jan-13 07:36:35

I agree, it was a recommendation and not something I'd usually read.

It was the best book of 2012 for me - an epic saga.

Some find the medical references too much, I can barely put a plaster on but I didn't find it too much at all. I loved the Ethiopian history context of it too - I had no idea the Italians had been there during the war...

Thoroughly recommended!

Cherrypi Mon 21-Jan-13 07:20:59

I loved this book too even though it wasn't my usual type of read. It definitely stays with you too.

stickylittlefingers Sun 20-Jan-13 22:02:38

I agree, though it did make me feel hungry a lot! The descriptions of Ethiopian curry were mouthwatering.

fromparistoberlin Sun 20-Jan-13 20:20:04

i had to plug this as I often read books I see lauded on here

epic saga, starts in eithiopia and moved to the US. family, love, brothers and very medical...literally sweeps you away

best book I read in 2012

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now