Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, Wednesday at 1pm x

cutting for stone _ marvellous!

(10 Posts)
fromparistoberlin Sun 20-Jan-13 20:20:04

i had to plug this as I often read books I see lauded on here

epic saga, starts in eithiopia and moved to the US. family, love, brothers and very medical...literally sweeps you away

best book I read in 2012

stickylittlefingers Sun 20-Jan-13 22:02:38

I agree, though it did make me feel hungry a lot! The descriptions of Ethiopian curry were mouthwatering.

Cherrypi Mon 21-Jan-13 07:20:59

I loved this book too even though it wasn't my usual type of read. It definitely stays with you too.

Fadqueen Mon 21-Jan-13 07:36:35

I agree, it was a recommendation and not something I'd usually read.

It was the best book of 2012 for me - an epic saga.

Some find the medical references too much, I can barely put a plaster on but I didn't find it too much at all. I loved the Ethiopian history context of it too - I had no idea the Italians had been there during the war...

Thoroughly recommended!

FoxyRevenger Mon 21-Jan-13 07:52:30

I found it in a charity shop for a pound and it was such a bargain! Brilliant. I have already read it three or four times.

I agree. My favourite three books of 2012 were this, Freedom and Middlesex.

UserNameAngst Mon 21-Jan-13 08:05:10

Oh I am a couple of chapters from the end! I did really get into it but really went off the central character a few chapters ago... It's our book club book and we are discussing tomorrow so if you have any choice insights I can pass of as my own I'd love to hear them!

axure Wed 23-Jan-13 15:47:54

I really enjoyed this book, found the fistula info very interesting, albeit disturbing, and it was great that a male character wanted to do work to help women. About to read Poisonwood Bible, set in the Congo. I love books set in Africa.

elkiedee Tue 29-Jan-13 10:24:35

I loved it too.

Alonglongway Sat 02-Feb-13 00:14:20

Yes - wasn't sure at first but ended up loving this book

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now