Best book for curling up in bed with a hot waterbottle?

(25 Posts)
bluecat237 Thu 31-Jan-13 04:03:25

Schizophrenic Rainbows - Addison Maitland - I read this sooo quick. Surprisingly thought provoking.

awaynboilyurheid Sun 27-Jan-13 21:23:32

Winter in madrid or the Shardlake series by CJ Sansom great reads and hope you get snowed ito finish them ! there addictive

'The Long Walk' is superb. Deffo not a cosy read though! smile Only read it when you're feeling strong because it's v v v bleak.

I'm reading The Long Walk at the moment by Stephen King/Richard Bachman.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Tue 22-Jan-13 19:34:07

Wow! So many interesting replies, thank you everyone. Some books I've read, some I haven't. Several new-to-me authors to explore, I'll have a pile of new books which will last much longer than the cold weather!

I adore Poirot.

I also recommend Somerset Maugham' short stories. Mysogynistic, yes. But so deliciously written...

Hercule P way better than doddering old Miss Marple though!

WifeofPie Tue 22-Jan-13 15:15:18

Last night I snuggled up by the fire with the dogs and 'Rebecca' by Daphne Dumaurier. I didn't get to sleep until 1 am because I just HAD to finish it smile.

Nivet Mon 21-Jan-13 22:28:15

OP I struggled with the Stonor Eagles and the wolf ones, enjoyed the Duncton Tales though.

Other suggestions:

The Prince of Tides - Pat Conroy
Tales of the City - Armistead Maupin
The Far Pavillions - M M Kayes
The Loving Spirit or Frenchman's Creek - Daphne Du Maurier
Any of the Bryant & May books by Christopher Fowler or the Lord Peter/Harriet Vane series by Dorothy L Sayers

And seconding the recommendations for Agatha Christie, read the entire Miss Marple series when on maternity leave with PFB, Nancy Mitford is fabulous.

Persephone Books is a great source of inspiration - here

HettySunshine Mon 21-Jan-13 20:10:56

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Literally the best book I have read in years - beautifully written and completely intriguing. I couldn't put it down smile

Any nancy Mitford.
Agree with a bit of Austen too

CinnamonCandle Mon 21-Jan-13 19:54:18

I love 'She's Come Undone' by Wally Lamb. Recommended to me on MN

Ooh yes to Wodehouse.

Also, The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie.
Agatha Christie.
Evelyn Waugh - I like, 'A Handful Of Dust' best.
Maybe some Raymond Chandler?

I hated, 'Nightwatch.' Staggered my way through about 70% of it and then decided that life was too short. I just couldn't get on with it and had zero interest in the characters or their situations. Am surprised now though, Clary, because we clearly like the same comfort reads at least!

Margaret Drabble, The Radiant way

Any P.G. Wodehouse

ClaryCazalet Mon 21-Jan-13 19:02:06

Anything on Remus' list - or Night Watching by Sarah Moss if you want something gripping and real. It's not comfort reading though.

Ouroboros Mon 21-Jan-13 18:49:21

I read The Darling Buds of May recently, very heart-warming if you like that sort of thing.

I always think that old favourites work best in that situation -

Ballet Shoes
Little Women and the rest of the series
What Katy Did and the follow ups
Daddy Long Legs
Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day
Any Jane Austen

DuchessofMalfi Mon 21-Jan-13 08:17:06

How about The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, or The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce? I read both recently, and enjoyed them.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Mon 21-Jan-13 07:41:44

Cherrypi - thank you, perhaps I'll look at reviews of those two, I'm sure there are different types of sci fi. I like the sound of a 24 hour bookshop!

Nivet - yes, a good story, read it years ago, not sure I've still got it, but will look. Have you read Horwood's The Stonor Eagles?

Nivet Mon 21-Jan-13 07:39:12

Skallagrigg by William Horwood.

Cherrypi Mon 21-Jan-13 07:37:28

Oh scratch that they are a little bit sci fi.

Cherrypi Mon 21-Jan-13 07:36:54

Mr Penumbra's 24 hour bookstore or Ready Player one. Both very readable but with interesting ideas.

toni76 Sun 20-Jan-13 18:08:20

Hope - A tragedy by Shalom Auslander
Brilliant, brilliant book about a bloke who finds Anne Frank living in his attic. I know, I know, it sounds dreadful. But it's so unbelievably funny, and sad and clever and thought-provoking.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sun 20-Jan-13 18:03:36

So, my very first new thread! It's freezing here, I'm off to bed early - probably before the teenagers - what to read? What does everyone else recommend? I'm not a chicklit or a scifi person though..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now