So I finally bought and started to read The Gunslinger

(22 Posts)
HumphreyCobbler Fri 18-Jan-13 17:17:19

and I really love it. Am seriously looking forward to the rest now. I wish I had ordered the first two at least, this one is really short! It is strange as hell but I am assuming some things will become clearer.

The copy I have is the new issue - in the forward he says he substantially revised it in the light of what followed.

MrsLovely Fri 18-Jan-13 17:19:06

Is that the Stephen king book? Just checking before I make a fool of myself!

Hurray! We TOLD you to get the first two or three all at the same time!

MrsL- yep.

Things will become clear.

But Roland is mine...

I read The Gunslinger a few years ago, and despite being a huge SK fan, I just didn't get it. Too much went unexplained and I couldn't picture the world Roland was living in. Then I read 'The Talisman' and 'Black House', and it made a bit more sense. Maybe I should give them another go. I miss King.

MrsLovely Fri 18-Jan-13 17:23:29

Oh I loved those books! I didn't know he had revised the first one, but when I first read them he hadn't written all the rest and I was desperate for him to finish the series.

This does not make me as old as I sound.

Ah, Remus, another one with a crush on Roland here!

Chickens - yes, do.

MrsL- step away.

smile

HumphreyCobbler Fri 18-Jan-13 17:30:18

yes, I should have listened! The next two are already ordered though.

I could picture the world clearly thanks to the forward ChickensHaveNoEyebrows, where he explains his inspiration came from seeing The Good, The Bad and The Ugly on a large cinema screen. I knew exactly what he meant after that.

MrsLovely Fri 18-Jan-13 20:39:57

I loved the first book. And the Wolves of the Calla. And the one with Blaine the name of which escapes me at the minute.

Am jealous you have all this ahead of you!

'The Drawing Of The Three' and, 'The Wolves Of The Calla' and the final one are my favourites. Love all the Eddie stuff in, 'The Drawing Of The Three.'

Oh and Humphrey - be prepared to cry: A LOT.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 18-Jan-13 21:07:06

<gets out hanky>

MrsLovely Fri 18-Jan-13 21:55:53

Oh oh what was the name of the bumbler?

Oy!

Ah I did do some crying there.

I've been a SK fan for years, but have only read The Gunslinger books in the last month or so. Had read bits of them but didn't really feel it, but after seeing a thread on here downloaded the first one and have now read them all!!

Pretty good ending too!

Shhhhhh! But I agree. smile

I didn't say a word...no spoilers here!

I know...but you might tempt me to say something (zips lips).

TheMysteryCat Fri 18-Jan-13 22:08:27

Yay!

So glad you like it!

Oy! And jake are my favourites. I went and re-read the talisman when I'd finished the series just to meet some of the characters again.

I'm sorely tempted to start reading them all over again. Just have to steal myself to read Susan's story.

And I'm sorry Remus, but I'm putting in my dibs for Roland too!

Ahem - I think you'll find I was here first.

I miss out the Susan stuff when I re-read them now, and just read the Blaine/Oz bits.

OneHolyCow Sat 19-Jan-13 15:29:10

I just put it one my kindle, but also to the lighthouse which has to be read at some point.. what shall it be now.. Virginia or Stephen?
Maybe Virginia must wait, yet again! It's a good wet gray day for a page turner methinks.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 19-Jan-13 18:54:46

It is SO good. Am nearly at the end and am really gutted I don't have the next one HERE NOW. Why didn't I listen to you??????

If I had a kindle I wouldn't have this problem

VW unreadable imho - gotta be Roland!

HumphreyCobbler Wed 23-Jan-13 14:17:23

I am regretting not buying both even more now, as there in no postal delivery thanks to the snow and I want it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now