Sebastian Faulks - A Possible Life

(12 Posts)
daimbardiva Sun 28-Jul-13 20:18:11

Hello, not sure if there's anyone still out there...! I just finished this, and did really enjoy it - so beautifully written, but I did find myself yearning for a bit more connection at the end - but maybe I have just read too many books with interconnecting strands, and I felt I was waiting for closure for some of the characters too...maybe it didn't need it though?

BooksandaCuppa Wed 30-Jan-13 10:01:47

Whoops. Double post. And full of errors.

BooksandaCuppa Wed 30-Jan-13 10:00:10

Yes! Quite Larkinesque. I agree, the change of tone is each section felt quite authentically close to its period.

BooksandaCuppa Wed 30-Jan-13 08:38:56

Yes! Quite Larkinesque. I agree, the change of tone is each section felt quite authentically close to its period.

anonymosity Wed 30-Jan-13 02:54:13

"worthy" not "worth" apols.

anonymosity Wed 30-Jan-13 02:53:43

There was also a chaos to the last section - the chronology was all over the place in that "I've smoked too much weed in the 60's" kinda way.

I actually liked the first section the most. It was the most emotionally compelling for me. The despair of the Holocaust and the solitude, worth of Larkin.

BooksandaCuppa Tue 29-Jan-13 22:55:29

Loved this too. I particularly liked the fact that there was a lot of symmetry in the themes but then the asymmetry of the different lengths of the passages/levels of detail. I loved the last section - and it felt like Faulks has been waiting to write an homage to music and the music making process. I didn't much care for Anya, the main female character in the last section; but I think it was still my favourite part, along with the Victorian one.

Think I might re-read sooner than I usually would.

mimbleandlittlemy Fri 25-Jan-13 15:33:28

I found it one of the most involving books I read last year. I was totally immersed and felt a bit bereft when I was done. I'm surprised more people haven't read it but perhaps it'll get more of a fan club when it's out in pb.

anonymosity Fri 25-Jan-13 04:20:54

Ah thanks. I finished it. No problem with the ending and it was just such a beautiful piece, so poignant. Ah again.

mimbleandlittlemy Fri 11-Jan-13 11:58:29

Read it last year and absolutely loved it. Think it's his best for a long while.

hackmum Fri 11-Jan-13 09:16:52

I read it last year. Loved it.

anonymosity Fri 11-Jan-13 02:25:30

Anyone else reading this?
I am still in chapter 1 and I love it.
I've read a few of his, and agree with a recent review that his endings just suck, in a really bad, damp-squib way.
I wonder why none of his editors point that out???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now