Can anyone recommend a really engaging, not too taxing read?

(40 Posts)
birdofthenorth Wed 09-Jan-13 08:05:07

I am embarrassed to admit that since I had DD two years ago the only books I have made it all the way through are One Day and the Cheryl Cole autobiography!! I have started several others but rarely make it past the first couple of chapters.

I am keen to sort it out especially now I have an iPad so can Kindle, but am in my second trimester of pregnancy now and knackered so not looking for anything mind-bending, but not potboiling rubbish.

I like stuff with an interesting social or political or gender element, strong characters, a good storyline and preferably modern in style. I am not a big fan of fantasy, silly romance, mystery or crime stuff. Can anyone recommend something I might like that is reall engaging from the start?

Many thanks in advance!

BikeRunSki Fri 01-Feb-13 19:36:54

Another vote for "Me Before You". Intriguing story. I started a thread on it.

"The Pursuit of Happiness" by Douglas Kennedy, or "A Special Relationship" by him. Ignore the daft girly covers. Both gripping, socio/political background....

Anything by Jane Green is fun - similar thoughtful "issues" based chick lit to Marian Keyes.

BikeRunSki Fri 01-Feb-13 19:36:55

"The Pursuit of Happiness" by Douglas Kennedy, or "A Special Relationship" by him. Ignore the daft girly covers. Both gripping, socio/political background....

Anything by Jane Green is fun - similar thoughtful "issues" based chick lit to Marian Keyes.

BikeRunSki Fri 01-Feb-13 19:36:55

BikeRunSki Fri 01-Feb-13 19:36:56

BikeRunSki Fri 01-Feb-13 19:36:57

FuriousRox Fri 01-Feb-13 20:01:12

Any human heart or Restless by william Boyd - readable and satisfying

Diary of a provincial lady - v amusing

The light years by Elizabeth jane Howard

Hope you find something you enjoy!

Megsdaughter Fri 01-Feb-13 20:10:11

Kate Mosse Labyrinth was brilliant

Zappo Fri 01-Feb-13 20:16:23

"Notes on a Scandal" an enjoyable, easy but unputdownable read

CoteDAzur Fri 01-Feb-13 21:13:23

I didn't think Labyrinth was really engaging and if you don't want "potboiling rubbish", I would stay clear of Truth About Melody Browne.

Since you say you like political & modern books, I think you could be interested in Charles Cumming's very modern spy books.

Fishandjam Fri 01-Feb-13 21:14:29

Perfume by Patrick Susskind.

stargirl1701 Fri 01-Feb-13 21:16:21

The Prodigal Sunmer by Barbara Kingsolver.

cuggles Sat 09-Feb-13 17:48:49

Anything by Jodi Picoult (issue based) and I recommend Me before You also. Diane Chamberlaine also good for Jodi Picoult style stuff but I find a bit lighter....tend to have a medical slant whilst JP tend towards legal.

snozzlemaid Sat 09-Feb-13 18:53:42

Best thing I've read in ages is Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes.

Phineyj Sun 10-Feb-13 23:22:56

The Crow Road by Iain Banks is gripping and not as grim as The Wasp Factory. It starts 'It was the day my grandmother exploded... '

valiumredhead Thu 14-Feb-13 10:18:14

I second Capital by John Lancester - brilliant book and all the more engaging for me because I used to live right near the road where it's set!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now