Yes, I'm a Johnny-come-lately but I couldn't put down the Hunger Games trilogy! Anything else totally addictive?

(50 Posts)
Elsqueak Tue 08-Jan-13 11:07:34

Don't normally go for teen fiction but Ms Collins had me hooked.

I tried Twilight but really it was Dawson's creek dressed up in vampire clothing...sorry Edward fans! Having said that I like the genre just like it a bit more grown-up.

Any recommendations for more? Would love to hear your favourite trilogies!

mystiquesonya Sun 20-Jan-13 21:54:01

I can second Michael Grant's series. They are fantastic. There are 5 books in total I think, I've just finished the fourth and am hooked. The first one is called 'Gone'.

Maggie Stiefvater is a great YA adult writer imo. I loved her book The Scorpio Races, very engaging with great protagonists. Wonderfully unique - I've never read anything with a similar concept. A real page turner. Also enjoyed her series about Werewolves, the first is called Shiver.

I also didn't enjoy His Dark Materials that much. It was okay and I loved the daemon idea but I didn't think it was as great as people said. Also, I read the Knife of Never Letting Go and enjoyed it but the books went downhill after the first I felt. I gave up on the first chapter of the third book, which is really unusual for me, I almost always persevere.

littletingoddess Mon 14-Jan-13 14:26:45

. Read them in chronological order so that the story flows properly. Lonesome Dove was the first to be published but the next to last in terms of the story IYSWIM.

littletingoddess Mon 14-Jan-13 14:25:28

I recommend the Lonesome Dove series by Larry McMurtry. However, do not read them in the order they were published

MarshmallowCupcake Sun 13-Jan-13 13:23:21

My stepdaughter is loving The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clarke, so far there's 5 books in that series with the first being made into a film so guess it will go down the same road at twilight etc.
I liked the twilight series, especially Breaking Dawn, couldn't put that book down! Same as Hunger Games, the other two didn't have the same effect on me but good books all the same. The True Blood books are good along with The Vampire Diaries but the tv episodes don't really follow the books so they're well worth reading. As for 50sog being a book for twilight lovers...rubbish! Those books are crap! Made myself read them since I'd bought all 3 on recommendation and thought that they just had to get better!

WantAnOrange Fri 11-Jan-13 17:29:02

You could try Kelley Armstrong. She's done a teen series and an adult series. I enjoyed both.

CoteDAzur Fri 11-Jan-13 14:52:29

Enjoy grin

Elsqueak Fri 11-Jan-13 14:32:09

I have a really long and tasty looking list of new books to devour! Thank you!

Cote - just to say, have just started a sample of Snow Crash and it is really good. The language took a bit of adjusting to but I'm there. Thanks!

phedre Fri 11-Jan-13 13:06:24

Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth are definite page turners. I am torn deciding what faction I would belong to - leaning towards Erudite but have an affinity towards Divergent. Apparently they are making a movie based on the books to be released in 2014.

Also really liked the Lauren Oliver stories - can't wait until book 3 is released in March.

Another ripping yarn was Penryn and the End of Days by Susan Ee.

JustinMumsnot Fri 11-Jan-13 12:38:43

Actually, have reviewed Crewel on my blog here if you are interested. There is also a review of Breathe by Sarah Crossan - which is also new and similar but not quite as good.

JustinMumsnot Fri 11-Jan-13 12:36:49

Yes to Divergent and also to Patrick Ness. A new one with a very similar heroine to Katniss is Crewel by Jennifer Albin - I think you will love it.

NicknameTaken Fri 11-Jan-13 12:34:15

Another YA series I have found myself racing through is the Spook's Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney. Try to read in order if you can.

Elsqueak Wed 09-Jan-13 12:16:40

I always fancied reading Dune. Thanks for reminding me!

Yes, have read Stephanie Meyer's The Host. It was brilliant. Just couldn't get into her vamps.

I'm so glad I started this thread!
Can't wait to start my reading list. It should keep me busy for quite a while.

Thank-you to all contributers!

CoteDAzur Tue 08-Jan-13 20:21:52

I hope not. Or you will never know why it's one of the best 100 English language books of all time smile

TunipTheVegedude Tue 08-Jan-13 20:20:32

But if it's as good as you say I won't WANT to stop before p200, will I? wink

CoteDAzur Tue 08-Jan-13 20:06:25

Tunip - You won't regret it. Just promise me that you will make it to circa pg 200, where everything comes together.

Snow Crash first used the word "avatar" and predicted Google Earth, as well. I want to read it again now, too smile

TunipTheVegedude Tue 08-Jan-13 19:55:00

You've sold me on Snow Crash, Cote, I want to read that now.
A lot of the YA I want to read isn't on Kindle (presumably because teens don't yet all have Kindles, though I'm sure that will change soon) whereas the sci fi does seem to be....

I didn't get on with Pullman either. Loved the first but the others were a bit slow.
It is clearly very difficult to sustain wonderfulness through a whole trilogy.

Except the horse things - the horse things are ridiculous and boring. And the woman who lives with the horse things. All of that long section is crap. Love the rest though.

Noooo, Pullman is fantastic, His Dark Materials is wonderful. What about Madeleine L'Engle OP?

Oh what's that one that was a film too. Richard somebody. Geezer at the end of the world, walking around and finding a dog and getting attacked by vampires. I thought it was pretty terrible but might be worth a shot.

Came on to say the Patrick Ness trilogy beginning with 'The Knife Of Never Letting Go' but beaten to it! The first one is excellent, the 2nd is good, the third much weaker imho.

Michael Grant's 'Gone' series - far better than Hunger Games - have been beaten to that too!

William somebody - The Windsinger Trilogy

Philip Reeve - the Mortal Engines series

I take it you've read The Midwich Cuckoos etc?

Deffo look into the Pullmans. I love his Sally Lockheart series too - make sure you read them in the right order.

The Stand - Stephen King

And The Running Man and The Long Walk, also King. Both of them knock the socks off The Hunger Games.

World War Z is zombies and isn't a great work of literature by any stretch of the imagination, but it's good fun.

The Passage - Justin Cronin. Follow up less good but okay.

The Handmaid's Tale

I thought 'Interview With The Vampire' was terrible tbh.

I loved Delirium and Pandemonium (first two books of a futuristic YA trilogy by Lauren Oliver), which I found when bereft after finishing Hunger Games! And have you tried Stephenie Meyer's The Host? I thought it was much much better than the Twilight books.

herladyship Tue 08-Jan-13 19:34:53

lots of great books mentioned on this thread, but Phillip Pullman's trilogy was the worst thing I have ever read! I stuck it until the end, waiting for it to be as brilliant as everyone told me...

CoteDAzur Tue 08-Jan-13 19:28:28

If you haven't read Dune, you really should. Forget the film and the TV series etc. That book has consistently been voted "The Best Sci-Fi Book of All Time" and for very good reason.

Philip K Dick is great. I think I read most of them, but he was often high on amphetamines so wrote very fast very prolific. A Scanner Darkly is brilliant and I remember Valis to be fascinating as well, although can't remember much about it now. Martian Time Slip is very good and so challenging that it made my head hurt in a wonderful way smile His short stories are also great - Total Recall and Minority Report are from his stories, for example. His stories are just perfect in that "Not sure what is real what is not" paranoia.

Elsqueak Tue 08-Jan-13 19:17:53

Great, these are brilliant. Love discovering new books!

Elsqueak Tue 08-Jan-13 19:11:18

Z for Zachariah! I did that at Gcse English...goodness, that takes me back.

Heard good things about Philip Pullman - will look into those.

The Michael Grant books look good too.

I've read 1984. Loved it. Also liked 'War of the worlds'. I also dabbled with Philip K. Dick, also great reading.
Snow crash does look compelling reading, Cote.
On a side note, Neal Stephenson does remind me of Ming the Merciless. He looks wonderfully eccentric!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now