Why did I read 'On The Beach'?

(80 Posts)

Saw a recommendation here and thought it sounds just up my street.

It's the saddest book I've ever read sad

I dreamt about it last night (was up to the last chapter) and haven't been able to get it out of my head today. I just finished it it. Waaaaaah

So sad sad

I lost my post! I like The Stand and The Road lots. I've read a lot that havent stayed with me afterwards. Think I'm going to order Alas Babylon. First got to read blue rembered earth that dh bought me for Christmas.

Didn't get on with oryx and crake, not sure why.

Remember watching When the wind blows when I was a kid and terrifying myself!

mrlazysfishwife Mon 07-Jan-13 21:59:55

I've had the book on the shelf for years, but still haven't read it. I did, however, really enjoy ( if that's the right word?) the film. Anthony Perkins and Gregory Peck iirc.

Not heard of 'Blue Remembered Earth.' Off to google!

CoteDAzur Mon 07-Jan-13 22:01:00

Somehow, an island full of people in denial about imminent death doesn't make a good book, imho. You would expect at least some of them to have their act together and fight for their lives. At least parents of small children should have the instinct to effing do something to save the lives of their precious babies.

I think they didn't fight back because they had become like rabbits frozen in headlights.
They did drink quite a lot though!

The characters are very much like those portrayed in 1950s films, all chivalrous and stiff upper lipped.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Mon 07-Jan-13 22:03:19

I read it at about 13 and skipped pretty much all but the bits about the family. I do remember that it's quite patronizing towards the mother though.

I hadn't either Remus, dh said it was in the guardian or something. It was quite a brave purchase for him!

MathairMahoney Mon 07-Jan-13 22:03:52

Strangely I came across On the Beach the other day in a pile of unread books at my parents' house - must give it a go! I loved Never Let Me Go thought it was the saddest book, especially the idea they are eventually kept in a sort of twilight half dead state to get the last possible use out of them - that really gave me the shivers! Love these threads for suggestions! smile

I've got 'Stranger In A Strange Land' on my to read pile.

bran Mon 07-Jan-13 22:07:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CoteDAzur Mon 07-Jan-13 22:07:04

All of them? Frozen like rabbits in the headlights? What a rubbish premise for a book - global apocalypse and the last humans on Earth are... frozen like bunnies in the headlights hmm

How about when they are talking about a couple and this woman says "I hope they get married and have children". When told how unlikely that is with, you know, certain death in September, she replies:

" Oh dear, I keep forgetting ."

Really?!? hmm

Colyngbourne Mon 07-Jan-13 22:16:17

Loved On the Beach; love Never Let Me Go even more - pretty much one of my favourite books. Very much like Oryx & Crake and The Year of the Flood even more so. Can't wait for the last in that trilogy.

I totally get the paralysis of characters in death-impending situations, the stupidity, yes, and the inescapable element of it. That was the point of Ishiguro - our boundness to a limited lifespan.

CoteDAzur Mon 07-Jan-13 22:18:50

I read Stranger In A Strange Land in my teens and loved it. Not sure if I would like it now, though. There are a few interesting ideas in it (at least for a bookish liberal-minded teenager) but it is likely to get your back up with its American right-wing "women's role is this and that" business.

CoteDAzur Mon 07-Jan-13 22:20:05

You see, Remus? People who love Never Let Me Go are the ones who love On The Beach smile

I know absolutely nothing about it, so will go in with a v open mind.

But I like 'On The Beach' and hate 'Never Let Me Go' - so ner! smile

CoteDAzur Mon 07-Jan-13 22:22:44

Just trying to point out that you are on the wrong side here grin

smile Have you read, 'A Town Like Alice?' If not, I think you and Kitten should read it at the same time and both report back.

Jajas Mon 07-Jan-13 22:26:30

I loved Never Let Me Go, not read On The Beach.

Blimey Cote you are scary when you don't like a book often sometimes grin!

There's a huge "Apocalyptic Fiction" thread here somewhere where we all had a right wallow in despair and disaster and On The Beach came up iirc. I love it, it's one of my favourite books of all time, and I just howl like a baby every time I read it blush

Jajas Mon 07-Jan-13 22:27:09

ps Cloud Atlas as a film???????

CoteDAzur Mon 07-Jan-13 22:28:46

Jajas grin I think my book club would agree with you.

Pmsl, Jajas. smile

CoteDAzur Mon 07-Jan-13 22:31:03

I watched Cloud Atlas and frankly wasn't that impressed despite some interesting ideas the directors have come up with. Their mix-matching of scenes from different stories together has made it impossible for anyone who hasn't read the book to understand the movie, imho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now