"Funny" books for a non reading 20 year old.

(39 Posts)
Mockingcurl Sun 06-Jan-13 19:36:06

My Ds never reads anything, despite the house being stuffed with books. He has just announced that he might read a book!!grin
His only proviso is that it has to be funny hmmAll I can think of is Spike Milligan.
He read Peter Kay's book years ago, and loved it. He loves The Lord of The Rings Films. A typical bloke really.

Seconding the Karl Pilkington books. He has one called Happy Slapped by a Jellyfish about his holidays. Brilliant!

NellVarnish Sun 13-Jan-13 08:33:03

Anything by Danny Wallace or Dave Gorman - very funny and readable.

Thanks for the Football Manager recommendations, have taken note of those for DS's birthday.

lljkk Netherlands Sun 13-Jan-13 08:46:23

Wow, I thought French Revolutions was dreadful. Very self-obsessed.
I also nominate Living with a Willy.
Who says we have to stick to fiction?

evilgiraffe Mon 14-Jan-13 21:12:08

Adrian Mole! Still so funny I end up crying - you can't read the bit about painting the walls without gasping for breath, it's too good <visions of Adrian colouring in all Noddy's bells with black pen>

elkiedee Thu 17-Jan-13 18:52:20

Robert Rankin? Sort of comic science fiction with lots of funny titles - the only one I've actually read so far is Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse.

iseenodust Mon 21-Jan-13 12:47:26

Carl Hiassen - Sick puppy (funny, american, environment theme)
Tom Sharpe - Wilt

My 22 yr old nephew actually sent me a text to say he had read and enjoyed his Xmas present " I Am The Secret Footballer" - anonymously written by current premier league player.

AlwaysWantingMore Wed 23-Jan-13 21:06:20

Christopher Brookmyre? Quite blokey and funny and most of them are a pretty good read!

Moominsarehippos Wed 23-Jan-13 21:08:08

www.amazon.co.uk/A-Confederacy-Dunces-Penguin-Classics/dp/0141023465

I almost set myself laughing on the tube at this ome and missed my stop.

Moominsarehippos Wed 23-Jan-13 21:08:55

Almost wet myself laughing. Yes I did, almost.

SofChina Sat 02-Feb-13 09:30:04

My Stepson, and all his skater mates, and now my husband and all his work mates are mad on Malice in Blunderland by Jonny Gibbings. I have also read it, and it isn't for everyone as it is very gross and dark. It is though, very, very funny. I am a big reader and it is the only book I have had to put down due to laughing so much. You will never view margarine the same. 100% recommend!

Caronline Wed 06-Feb-13 21:42:49

I second Adrian Mole! Hilarious x

IndridCold Thu 07-Feb-13 10:00:15

Second the Spike Milligan war memoirs.

Also, Bill Bryson - especially the travel ones.

Roddy Doyle, who wrote the Commitments

CoteDAzur Thu 07-Feb-13 11:49:05

How about starting him on some comic books? V For Vendetta, Watchmen, etc.

anonymosity Sat 16-Feb-13 00:54:35

If its not too late - Talk of the Town by Ardal O'Hanlon (from Father Ted) weepingly funny stuff...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now