"Funny" books for a non reading 20 year old.

(39 Posts)
Mockingcurl Sun 06-Jan-13 19:36:06

My Ds never reads anything, despite the house being stuffed with books. He has just announced that he might read a book!!grin
His only proviso is that it has to be funny hmmAll I can think of is Spike Milligan.
He read Peter Kay's book years ago, and loved it. He loves The Lord of The Rings Films. A typical bloke really.

MrsWolowitz Sun 06-Jan-13 19:40:35

Inconceivable by Ben Elton?

It's written as though its the diary of a husband and a wife on their battle with infertility.

It is very funny and there's some sex in it which may interest him grin

It sounds girly but I think a man would enjoy it too as its written from the side if the husband as well as the wife.

HelpOneAnother Sun 06-Jan-13 19:47:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Liskey Sun 06-Jan-13 19:49:55

Guards, Guards series by Terry Pratchett

fantashtic Sun 06-Jan-13 19:51:42

Does he play Football Manager? It's a PC game. There is a book called Football Manager Stole My Life, my non reading older brother read it ALL Xmas day and said it was best thing he'd ever read.

Obviously only works if he's a fan of the game! But if he is you must buy it for him smile

caramal Sun 06-Jan-13 19:52:26

In 22 hubby is 24 and he'd never read a book (to the end) on our first wedding anniversary in Nov I bought him a "Karl Pilkington" book from "an idiot abroad" he found it hilarious and had now read a further 4 books.. I'm amazed! I have always been an avid reader and I live the books too

Liskey Sun 06-Jan-13 20:02:12

Around Ireland with a fridge by Tony Hawks
Anything by Mike Gayle - my Legendary Girlfriend was good

lljkk Netherlands Sun 06-Jan-13 20:05:18

Ben Elton books are dreadful.

How to Talk to a Widower by Jonathan Tropper, had me in stitches. Nooky, Rude words and all.

Pigtopia isn't as funny, but wonderfully weird with a bit of teen angst and plenty of plot twists.

lljkk Netherlands Sun 06-Jan-13 20:05:56

I assume he has read The Hunger Games trilogy? Not funny, but gripping!

Mockingcurl Sun 06-Jan-13 20:15:20

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I will investigate all of them immediately. We have some of them already.
Thank you.

shriekingnora Sun 06-Jan-13 20:28:39

Neil Gaiman

gokhuvegeta Thu 10-Jan-13 01:43:57

My 25 year old was 'playing' with my kindle when he opened The Darkness in the shadows. m Briers and started to read- not something he has ever done before. I thought he'd get bored soon enough- then he starts to chuckle- then he disappears and so does my kindle for three days. He read the whole thing, if only he'd done that when he was at school, but then they didn't really have books like that back then I suppose.

Startail Thu 10-Jan-13 01:55:09

Blot on the landscape

Startail Thu 10-Jan-13 01:56:30

Certainly Spike Milligan''s War memoirs

NatashaBee Thu 10-Jan-13 02:39:19

Bill Bryson?

MollyMurphy Thu 10-Jan-13 03:05:44

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - very funny

Worksitoutwithapencil Thu 10-Jan-13 08:10:01

Christopher Brookmyre is good for dark humour, some are funnier/easier to get into than others.
One Fine Day In The Middle Of The Night had me laughing from the first chapter which as well as being funny is full of guts and gore and decapitation smile

chirpchirp Fri 11-Jan-13 22:15:12

The Amertures by John Niven. My husband never reads (maybe a James Bond book whilst on holiday) but I forced this upon him and he devoured it.

Anything by Dave Gorman or Charlie Brooker.

mewkins Sat 12-Jan-13 10:15:43

Are there any comedians he likes? He could start with their autobiography? My dh doesn't read but managed Frank Skinner's autobiography a few years ago.
Otherwise High Fidelity or about a boy? Especially if he's into indie music!

duchesse Sat 12-Jan-13 10:17:49

Ah Mocking,
Am watching your thread with interest as 19yo DS (formerly a 1 book a day chap) has not read a single book for 5 years. I so hope he goes back to it but at the moment it's all about online shooting games afaict.

Thewhingingdefective Sat 12-Jan-13 18:41:41

I second the Charlie Brooker suggestion. Reading one of his reviews of King Kong made me laugh so hard I went into labour.

Letters From A Nut by Ted L Nancy

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson maybe. Been a while since I read one of his but I know they made me laugh.

JRsandCoffee Sun 13-Jan-13 08:18:14

French revolutions by Tim Moore is hilarious, particularly good if he happens to be into bikes!
Jeeves and Wooster b

JRsandCoffee Sun 13-Jan-13 08:21:51

Sorry, on Phone feeding baby..... Jeeves and Wooster also funny!

youcantwearthatmum Sun 13-Jan-13 08:23:16

The Wrong Boy by Willy Russel

JRsandCoffee Sun 13-Jan-13 08:27:12

Sorry, on Phone feeding baby..... Jeeves and Wooster also funny!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now