50 Book Challenge in 2013. Who's with me?

(992 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 05-Jan-13 16:58:16

Tidying up after Christmas it has come to my attention that I have nearly 100(!!) paperbacks in stacks down the side of my bed waiting to be read. blushblush
I am going to challenge myself to try and read at least 50 of them this year. That's nearly one a week so I am going to have to really apply myself and stop faffing around and doing other things when I could be enjoying a good book.
I wondered if anyone else would like to join me? We can post what we are reading and then post when we have finished each book and what's next.
I know I would love to hear what others are reading and enjoying (or not enjoying) so I can go out and buy more books in a few months time!
My first book of the year is President Down by Terence Strong about spies and terrorists which my dad lent me about a year ago! I'm only about 20 pages in, but so far so good.

CoteDAzur Tue 11-Jun-13 14:26:15

15. Collected Short Stories Vol 1 - Somerset Maugham

Pretty good and I enjoyed it although I'm not a big fan of neither short stories nor "traditional" writing style of the period.

16. Umbrella - Will Self

By far the most difficult book I have ever read (and I like big difficult books) but very satisfying. I understand why it was shortlisted for last year's Booker Prize and also why it didn't win. Will Self is a genius.

17. Inferno - Dan Brown

Truly awful crap. And I say that as someone who quite enjoyed Da Vinci Code and its sequel Angels & Demons.

18. The Hidden Man - Charles Cumming

I enjoy Charles Cumming's modern spy books but this was just not very interesting.

tumbletumble Wed 12-Jun-13 18:50:48

22. How to be a Good Wife by Emma Chapman. Gripping while I was reading it, but ultimately not very memorable or meaningful for me.

#28 Shakespeare's mistress. Enjoyed this. Quite credible storyline and it's inspired me to do a bit of detective work around the situation.

I'm back to The Sunne in Splendour now. Almost halfway through. It's a bit dry, but I'm determined to finish it as I can see a huge pile of books yet to read!

greenhill Wed 12-Jun-13 20:31:53

21. Written In Blood - Caroline Graham. A good read, quite vicious and not as cosy as Midsomer Murders suggests (possible due to background music and under-acting by John Nettles).

Finished Book 21: Janice Galloway's "This Is Not About Me". It was mostly just ok, but I found some parts interesting as they linked to themes and ideas in her novels.

Book 22 will be George R. R. Martin "A Dance With Dragons Part 2".

Then I will attack my existing book shelf.

manxmum13 Thu 13-Jun-13 00:17:45

Thanks for the excuse!! When I read in bed at night and DH moans for me to put out the light I can say its the Mumsnet Challenge!!

Shanghaidiva Thu 13-Jun-13 09:08:37

#22 - 100 year old man who climbed out the window
Didn't enjoy this as it was too slapstick for me (what's the point of the elephant?) although the historical part was quite entertaining.
Rest of my book club loved it.

mumslife Thu 13-Jun-13 14:04:28

Finished book 28 the light between oceans
Book 29 the last summer judith kinghorn

DuchessofMalfi Thu 13-Jun-13 14:12:49

Book 45 - another audio book - Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. Not sure what to make of this one. I gave it three stars (liked it) on Goodreads. Odd in places, with a bit of a rushed ending. I won't be in any rush to re-read it.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 13-Jun-13 21:39:03

And book 46 Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann. It's a slow burner which gets very good towards the end.

MegBusset Sat 15-Jun-13 15:25:11

21. The BFG - Roald Dahl
22. Alone In Berlin - Hans Fallada
23. The People Of The Abyss - Jack London
24. London Under - Peter Ackroyd
25. The Talisman - Stephen King & Peter Straub
26. The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom
27. The Firework-Maker's Daughter - Philip Pullman
28. Black House - Stephen King & Peter Straub
29. The Last Expedition - Robert Scott. His diaries from the doomed South Pole journey - enthralling and heartbreaking.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 15-Jun-13 20:27:39

Book 47 The BFG by Roald Dahl.

juneybean Sat 15-Jun-13 21:25:15

19. The Color Purple by Alice Walker

PerksOfBeingNorthern Sun 16-Jun-13 08:15:00

39. Christopher Kenny - I Think I'm Okay
40. Fiona Gibson -Mum On The Run
41. Barbara Freethy - Ryan's Return
42. Rachel Abbott - The Back Road
43. Victoria Fox - Temptation Island
44. Revital Sheri Horowitz - Daughters of Iraq
45. Judith Kerr - When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit

Duchess and all, hope you keep posting after 50! Like to see what everyone is reading and think we have lost nickname and shrinking already(?) grin Go for 100?

DuchessofMalfi Sun 16-Jun-13 09:18:48

I'll keep posting my reads grin And yes, I'm going to try for 100 this year. I didn't quite get there last year, but I'm adding in audio books this time so hopefully should get there.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sun 16-Jun-13 11:06:45

Hello readers,

This thread is very nearly full! I have started a new one here so please do sign in and mark your places.

Will sign in to the new thread later on. Desperately trying to finish #29 now as I have 30-34 lined up on the shelf, and #35 ready for collection from the library!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now