50 Book Challenge in 2013. Who's with me?

(992 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 05-Jan-13 16:58:16

Tidying up after Christmas it has come to my attention that I have nearly 100(!!) paperbacks in stacks down the side of my bed waiting to be read. blushblush
I am going to challenge myself to try and read at least 50 of them this year. That's nearly one a week so I am going to have to really apply myself and stop faffing around and doing other things when I could be enjoying a good book.
I wondered if anyone else would like to join me? We can post what we are reading and then post when we have finished each book and what's next.
I know I would love to hear what others are reading and enjoying (or not enjoying) so I can go out and buy more books in a few months time!
My first book of the year is President Down by Terence Strong about spies and terrorists which my dad lent me about a year ago! I'm only about 20 pages in, but so far so good.

GeorginaWorsley Mon 07-Jan-13 16:18:30

I read about 10 a month too.
Just read 'The Secret Keeper' by Kate Morton,which was actually really good.
Also the third in the Blackhouse trilogy by Peter May,called The Chessmen.Read it on Kindle,but not as good as his previous two.
Simon Tolkien 'Orders from Berlin' as I love wartime espionage.
The first of a trilogy on Kindle from Kerry Wilkinson about a Manchester police woman,wasn't bad at all.
And one I picked up in the library set in 1980's Suffolk about a girl who finds a dead abandoned baby and the repurcussions it has on her and her family.Can't remember name blush

GeorginaWorsley Mon 07-Jan-13 16:29:37

Suffolk book called 'Seldom Seen 'by Sarah Ridgard.Highly recommend.

I enjoyed 'Dominion.' I liked 'White Tiger' too - keep meaning to read another by the same writer, whose name currently escapes me.

kittykat10 Mon 07-Jan-13 18:00:42

would it be ok if i joined this

I've just bought three new books. Oops. They were on sale though.

minsmum Mon 07-Jan-13 20:38:35

*Anonymousbird" it was really good. The little details had me exclaiming out loud, lots of oohs . Its very well thought out .

MaureenShit Mon 07-Jan-13 20:41:40

George. You'd like the new Simon mawer then

highlandcoo Mon 07-Jan-13 20:54:04

I'm in smile

So far I've read one section of Parade's End .. to be continued later.

Also Bitter Water by Gordon Ferris, the second in the Douglas Brodie crime series set in Glasgow just after WW2.

Now reading To the End of the Land by David Grossman, the story of an Israeli mother trying to cope with her son's time in the army there. It's an intense account but I'm enjoying it so far.

After that I'm planning to get into Japanese literature in preparation for a trip there this spring.

ISpyPlumPie Mon 07-Jan-13 21:07:09

I'm in - bfing DS2 at the moment, so have a fighting chance of reading 50 given feeds are my prime reading time.

So far this year I've read Can Any Mother Help? - an account of a sort of proto-type MNet. I'm now reading NW by Zadie Smith.

juneybean Mon 07-Jan-13 21:12:38

I did 101 last year but have set my goodreads challenge at 50 as I'm flagging a bit!

AllezBaBa Mon 07-Jan-13 21:14:20

Me too please! Have joined good reads and signed up for a 50 book challenge, which I should do (massively bump up the numbers in my lovely teacher holidays!).
Am doing a 'clear the bookshelf' marathon myself, starting with The Kashmir Shawl which my mum lent me ages ago. Fear it may be froth, but I don't mind that!

TeaAndSlanket Mon 07-Jan-13 21:16:35

I'm up for this - however, my realistic goal is 25, which will be an improvement on single figures last year, but as DS is approaching 1yo, maybe maybe I'll steal a bit more time. I'm horribly hard to please: Not a chick-lit, best sellery kind of a gal - which makes it much harder to pick up fiction - 'Before I go to Sleep' made me very cross at recent book group.

I've given up on the Kate Furnivall for now. It wasn't her, it's definitely me - couldn't concentrate on the historical elements right now. I've picked up one of the "young adult" books I got today for a change of style. It's. Angel's Fury by Bryony Pearce.

GeorginaWorsley Mon 07-Jan-13 22:04:28

Maureen if you mean 'The girl who fell from the sky* have read it and enjoyed!
Not much in that genre escapes my beady eye!

MaureenShit Mon 07-Jan-13 22:32:56

I bet! I liked where the hell have you been to. About North Africa.

MaureenShit Mon 07-Jan-13 22:33:03

Too.

Yeah, go on then. I have about 8 lying around that I need to read. I've just read 'The Queen's Confidante' by Karen Harper and have 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum' at the top of the pile.

I'm in

elkiedee Tue 08-Jan-13 09:36:38

Remus, is that White Tiger by Aravind Adiga? (Librarything threw up a few other books with the same title.

NicknameTaken Tue 08-Jan-13 11:35:37

Having an early Jan self-improvement kick. Read Mange Tout, about how to encourage children to eat veg (let the children play with veg); Sugar Nation (how to deal with incipient diabetes - low-carbing and exercise); Join the Dots (how to appreciate classical music).

Also reading Nick Hornby's Polysyllabic Spree. This irritated me horribly when it first came out, but now I've accepted that he is writing about the experience of reading and doesn't attempt to say anything enlightening about the books themselves, so I'm enjoying it a bit more, despite his irritatingly twee descriptions of his employers.

Now pondering whether to get a Kindle. I get most of my books from the library, so it won't save me any money, and I read a lot anyway, so I don't need to be encouraged to read more. It's just there are a couple of books that I'd like to get where the kindle versions are a lot cheaper than the print version, and I have a £20 voucher for Amazon so it wouldn't cost too much.....Opinions, anyone?

minsmum Tue 08-Jan-13 11:48:31

Well I finished Did you miss me last night and started Allan Massie "death in Bordeaux" which I am not liking much.

So I need to choose something else, can't decide what though

ilovecolinfirth Tue 08-Jan-13 16:45:25

I'd like to join the challenge please! I was really bad at reading last year...a toddler, a difficult pregnancy, and working most evenings after my ds went to bed!

I'm getting back on track now.

Can anyone recommend something to grab my attention?

Some of my fav books are:

The Kite Runner
A thousand splendid suns
Anything by Tracey Chevalier
Rebecca
The book thief
The shadow of the wind

kittykat10 Tue 08-Jan-13 16:57:13

can i join?
so far this year i have read 39 weeks and midway through bridget jones

AmelieRose Tue 08-Jan-13 17:13:12

I'm in. I'm terrible for not reading enough even though I love reading.

I've read (well, finished as most were half read) 4 so far this year:

The Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
I Feel Bad about my Neck - Nora Ephron
I Feel Nothing - Nora Ephron

I'd highly recommend the Nora Ephron books if you like funny non-fiction - really easy to read and made me laugh out loud loads. Tina Fey's 'Bossypants' is also great for this. I'm currently reading 'How to be a Woman' by Caitlin Moran after beginning it 6 months ago - hoping to finish it this week as it's an easy and funny read.

AmelieRose Tue 08-Jan-13 17:17:12

Oh, and just downloaded 'Life of Pi' to re-read before going to see the film. Only 20p on Amazon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now