50 Book Challenge in 2013. Who's with me?

(992 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 05-Jan-13 16:58:16

Tidying up after Christmas it has come to my attention that I have nearly 100(!!) paperbacks in stacks down the side of my bed waiting to be read. blushblush
I am going to challenge myself to try and read at least 50 of them this year. That's nearly one a week so I am going to have to really apply myself and stop faffing around and doing other things when I could be enjoying a good book.
I wondered if anyone else would like to join me? We can post what we are reading and then post when we have finished each book and what's next.
I know I would love to hear what others are reading and enjoying (or not enjoying) so I can go out and buy more books in a few months time!
My first book of the year is President Down by Terence Strong about spies and terrorists which my dad lent me about a year ago! I'm only about 20 pages in, but so far so good.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 11-May-13 13:53:23

Book 36 - At Home by Bill Bryson (not the full title - forgotten it, rather dull) - audio book.

Book 37 - On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan. Good story, but cringeingly embarrassing scene. If you've read it, you'll know grin

MegBusset Sat 11-May-13 21:42:12

21. The BFG - Roald Dahl
22. Alone In Berlin - Hans Fallada
23. The People Of The Abyss - Jack London

People Of The Abyss is a fascinating account of the 'underclass' of East End London in 1902 - a forerunner to (and inspiration for) Orwell's Down And Out In Paris And London.

MrsMaryCooper Sun 12-May-13 16:18:07

36. - Dead Ever After - Charlaine Harris The last one in the Sookie Stackhouse series (13) It was fairly uninspired. I think she lost interest in Sookie about about 6 books ago.

15) the little one - lynda la plante: although its a quick read, it took me from fri to sun to read it. i kept thowing it down in a rage angry the main character is so so unlikable. she was selfish and seemed to bring on the tears on almost every page. was so glad when it ended. shame really as i enjoyed the other book i read of hers.

16) chosen to die - lisa jackson: 2nd part to my number 13 book and i wasnt disappointed. thoroughly enjoyed both and will be on the lookout for more of her books in the charity shops.

changed my mind about the next one. was going to read "her last scream - j.a. kerley" but its #8 in the series and id like to read them from the beginning... so...

17) the beach hut - veronica henry: i am nearly halfway through already and thoroughly enjoying it so far

not sure what to do about 18. its a choice between gone girl (which i finally found in the charity shop) or start reading the blossom series by debbie macomber

Galaxymum Mon 13-May-13 13:41:36

17 Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (got very dreary and hard work for me)
18 The Light Years by Elizabeth Jane Howard (didn't enjoy as much as I was hoping. Wrong mood)
19 The Kingmaker's Daughter by Phillippa Gregory (very much enjoyed Anne Neville's viewpoint after The Sunne in Splendour)
20 The Nine Day Queen - lovely book about the Grey sisters but aaaarggh American spelling does not fit in Tudor times!

Current:
21 If Walls Could Talk by Lucy Worsley - brilliant!
22 The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker - very disturbing read. I'm flying through this!

MegBusset Mon 13-May-13 22:06:47

21. The BFG - Roald Dahl
22. Alone In Berlin - Hans Fallada
23. The People Of The Abyss - Jack London
24. London Under - Peter Ackroyd

MrsMaryCooper Tue 14-May-13 07:32:07

37. Petit Mort - Beatrice Hitchman. I really enjoyed it well written, atmospheric and twisty.

greenhill Tue 14-May-13 09:55:00

13. Capital - John Lanchester. I was surprised to get so involved with the characters. I'd guessed the outcomes, but enjoyed reading it anyway.

14. The Girl Of His Dreams - Donna Leon. Solid addition to the Guido Brunetti series. It contained all the usual strong elements and made me really think about immigration, cultural issues and racism in Italy against Roma Gypsies.

NicknameTaken Thu 16-May-13 14:56:26

49) Terry Jones' Medieval Lives. An enjoyable read.

50) will be either Dead Water by Ann Cleeves or Vanished Years by Rupert Everett.

greenhill Thu 16-May-13 15:00:34

15. Malice In The Cotswolds - Rebecca Tope. Not as good as others in the Cotswold Series, but there was one truly horrific scene and a laugh out loud moment.

Finished book 18 "A Feast for Crows" and book 19 will be the next in the series: " A Dance with Dragons part 1"

tumbletumble Thu 16-May-13 16:41:59

Nearly there Nickname - well done!!

NicknameTaken Fri 17-May-13 09:47:42

Thanks, tumble! Pretty sure that shrinkingnora got there first though.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 18-May-13 08:31:25

Book 38 - The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (audio book) - loved it. I read it as a companion piece to The Innocents by Francesca Segal. Absolutely loved it, but it was so sad.

Book 39 - New Ways to Kill your Mother - Colm Toibin. hmm patchy. some chapters better than others. They were all individual essays, some of which just didn't interest me, and some which were really good. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads.

marl24 Sat 18-May-13 10:55:48

hello, I finished a book called Kiss of Thorns by lilliane rosse on kindle which is a crazy story about a narcissistic mother that psychologically abuses her daughter. it's a good read
how are you getting on with your challenge? !

mumslife Sat 18-May-13 22:02:49

26 book three of cazalet series.
27 book four of cazalet series. Al finished now though apparently supposed to be doing anothersmile

juneybean Sun 19-May-13 14:31:34

Belated with adding this one to the thread:

17. Women, Work & the Art of Savoir Faire: Business Sense & Sensibility by Mireille Guiliano

moonshine Mon 20-May-13 21:55:17

11. Killing Floor - Lee Childs 7.5/10

Wanted to see what all the fuss was about Reacher and thought it was...ok. He seems too perfect and I like them flawed!

12. A Storm of Swords- G R R Martin 9/10

I succumbed and decided to read the 3rd book in the Game of Thrones saga (I'm obsessed with books and tv series blush) and it has taken 5 long weeks to read it! But now that I've finished I really miss it and all the characters.

I've heard the 4th and 5th books are not as good and am now worried about reading them - has anyone read them all (to-date) and what did you think?

Galaxymum Tue 21-May-13 12:29:34

23 The Girl on the Cliff by Lucinda Riley - highly recommend this book. It is fairy tale like and moves so well between time period. Very sad though.
24 The Light Between Oceans - Richard and Judy read. If you want to read a sad story with genuinely heartwarming characters and have a box of tissues, this is compelling. A great story, very Hardy like and has fascinating details about lighthouse maintenance. The emotions for the survivors of the trenches is also well portrayed. Absolutely loved this book.

gailforce1 Wed 22-May-13 16:15:59

19. Life after Life by Kate Atkinson. Love her writing although did not fully "get" the ending I am hoping that she will come to MN in the future and explain!

tumbletumble Thu 23-May-13 06:54:15

No. 19 was Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier which I've never read before. Loved it!

mixedmamameansbusiness Thu 23-May-13 16:04:41

20. Alice by Eva Hanagan. Nothing special but was recommended to me by a client who's mother wrote it.

21. The Great Gatsby. I really liked it. I feel like a lot was list on me, particularly since I have done a little reading up in it today so I think one to re read. L

MrsMaryCooper Thu 23-May-13 16:19:47

39. Bring Up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel. Loved it. Loved Wolf Hall too.

40. Winterland - Allan Glyn

DuchessofMalfi Thu 23-May-13 16:35:39

Book 40 - The Light Between Oceans by M L Stedman. Beautiful, amazing, heartbreakingly sad. This novel is going to occupy my thoughts for a long time to come. So far the best book of the year for me.

greenhill Thu 23-May-13 18:51:17

16. Drawing Conclusions - Donna Leon. DL is particularly good at moral ambiguity and justice, she always makes me think deeply about her subject matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now