50 Book Challenge in 2013. Who's with me?

(992 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 05-Jan-13 16:58:16

Tidying up after Christmas it has come to my attention that I have nearly 100(!!) paperbacks in stacks down the side of my bed waiting to be read. blushblush
I am going to challenge myself to try and read at least 50 of them this year. That's nearly one a week so I am going to have to really apply myself and stop faffing around and doing other things when I could be enjoying a good book.
I wondered if anyone else would like to join me? We can post what we are reading and then post when we have finished each book and what's next.
I know I would love to hear what others are reading and enjoying (or not enjoying) so I can go out and buy more books in a few months time!
My first book of the year is President Down by Terence Strong about spies and terrorists which my dad lent me about a year ago! I'm only about 20 pages in, but so far so good.

MrsMaryCooper Mon 15-Apr-13 08:10:37

Finished No 32 The Prisoner of Heaven - Carlos Ruiz Zafon I really enjoyed it but I wish I had started with The Shadow of the Wind and read them in order. The Prisoner of Heave is 3 of 4 in a series.

Now reading Sanctus- Simon Toyne for No. 33

Galaxymum Mon 15-Apr-13 09:52:11

Book 14 - River of Destiny by Barbara Erskine. 1st by this author and I was completely hooked. Great time linked story.

Book 15 - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Excellent. Fascinating history of Guernsey during the war.

Book 16 - After The Fall by Charity Norman - 3rd good read from my holiday. Not like I expected. Very good family drama.

Book 17 - now reading The Light Years, the 1st of the Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard. Just a note - I bought this on kindle but the translation is very poor. The paragraphs merge and no gap between the sections and changes in main character. So I had to buy the paperback to continue.

shrinkingnora Mon 15-Apr-13 11:53:23

49. The hundred year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared - liked it but it felt like a bit of a slog to get to the end. The thinking man's Forest Gump?

50. Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich - caved and bought the ebook of this. Same as all the others but I like all the others so that's ok! Have also read a couple more ebooks but can't remember them off the top of my head.

juneybean Mon 15-Apr-13 13:05:08

15. Atonement by Ian McEwan

thejoblot Mon 15-Apr-13 13:13:44

help... been distracted by the gardening, so far behind everyone else! blush

mumslife Mon 15-Apr-13 13:49:40

quick log in to say finished book no 20 at last the distant hours by Kate Morten it went on and on and on with a nothing kind of ending liked the forgotten garden and house at riverton but this one was way too long beware

juneybean Tue 16-Apr-13 18:36:37

16. About a Boy by Nick Hornby

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 17-Apr-13 11:20:55

Galaxymum I downloaded the guernsey etc. I pick it up every time I go into a bookshop so caved in.

Juneybean I absolutely love About a Boy. I quite like Nick Hornby, but let some friends borrow them and then list touch . I might have to get About a Boy again though. It is also one of the few books that I liked the film of too, they both made me cry.

gailforce1 Thu 18-Apr-13 08:42:19

Book 15. This isn't the sort of thing that happens to someone like you by Jon McGregor. Really enjoyed the webchat on Tuesday 16th which also covered some of his other books and I went on to read Even the Dogs as book 16.
17. My Life as a Fake by Peter Carey
18. Learn Love in a Week by Andrew Clover. Light, easy read but would not recommend.
Now starting the new Kate Atkinson, been looking forward to this for ages!

Jdub Thu 18-Apr-13 10:22:09

I have been so inspired by seeing what everyone is reading, it has inspired me really trying to find the time to read more! So 'Thank you'! I am certain I won't be able to get the grand total of 50, but I am determined to give it a fair old shot! So far this year then:-
1. When God was a Rabbit - Sarah Winman - Really enjoyed
2. Highland Fling - Katie Fforde - good fun and a quick read
3. My Animals and other Family - Clare Balding - LOVED - really like her style
4. How it all Began - Penelope Lively - really likeable characters
5. The Perfect Proposal - Katie Fforde - quite fluffy, but enjoyable!
6. Road to Paradise - Paullina Simons - Just about to start...

Jdub Thu 18-Apr-13 10:42:20

oops - forgot to add
6. The Lighthouse - Alison Moore - what a lonely chap the main character is.
Therefore, my number 7 is Road to Paradise...

17 was my friend's manuscript- a young adult fantasy, which I couldn't put down, so now 18 is George R R Martin "A Feast For Crows".

mumslife Thu 18-Apr-13 12:50:49

now reading book 21 the light years book 1 of the cazalet chronicles Am loving it but its really hard to get your head round all the characters at first love it because love family sagas where nothing much happens but suspect it is like marmite love it or hate it and I love it!

PurpleStorm Thu 18-Apr-13 21:01:52

Finished book 30: Julianna Baggott - Pure. Set in post nuclear war USA - survivors are 'fused' to objects except for the lucky few Pure ones protected in a dome. It was okay, but I won't be rushing out to buy the next one in this trilogy.

and book 31: John Harding - Florence and Giles. A reworking of The Turn of The Screw told from the little girl's (Florence) point of view. Good.

tumbletumble Fri 19-Apr-13 07:52:58

No. 14 was my first non-fiction book, The Jigsaw Man by Paul Britton, who is a forensic psychologist involved in several high profile murder cases such as Jamie Bulger, Rachel Nickell and Fred and Rosemary West. Fascinating stuff.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Fri 19-Apr-13 14:07:26

Just checking in to say I have finally finished book 11, Heartstone by CJ Sansom. At 700 pages it took me a while to break the back of it, but the last four or five chapters were un-put-down-able!

Book 12 will be The Doomsday Key by James Rollins, from a series about a group of spies-cum-archaeologists called "Sigma Force." grin

NicknameTaken Fri 19-Apr-13 15:53:04

39) The Herring-Seller's Apprentice, L. C. Tyler
40) The Herring in the Library, L.C.Tyler.

I am now officially bored with this series (humorous crime capers).

41) The Celtic Revolution, Simon Young. Not nearly as original and enjoyable as his book AD500.

42) Voyager, Diana Gabaldon. The third enormous tome in the series. I'm going to take a break from the series for a while. I don't think I'm enjoying it quite as much as the lady authoress.

43) Skios, Michael Frayn. Amusing to see how he keeps all his plates spinning. Clever but a bit pointless.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 19-Apr-13 18:18:35

Finished book 31 - an audio version of My Cousin Rachel by Daphne DuMaurier. A "re-read" for me. Really enjoyable. Now I want to re-visit all her books that I've read before. I'd forgotten how good a novelist she was.

minsmum Sat 20-Apr-13 14:01:27

Finished book 26 Bitter Water by Gordon Ferris. I notice that his first book Hanging shed is free on the kindle at the moment. I bought it for the full price and thoroughly enjoyed it

Southeastdweller Tue 23-Apr-13 16:51:17

Feeling very blush I've only managed six books so far. I need to quit with my iPhone addiction!

Book six was Gone Girl. Pacey and well observed but a bit overwritten in parts and I didn't like a single character. One to donate to the charity shop, I think.

Feeling inspired reading the latest posts on this thread so I hope to read about five over the next six weeks or so. It's nice knowing some of my favourite authors (Zadie Smith, Mark Haddon and Rupert Everett) have their latest books out in paperback now or very soon (I don't bother with hardbacks but quite tempted about the new Kate Atkinson).

DuchessofMalfi Tue 23-Apr-13 18:40:36

Book 32 - The Clothes They Stood Up In by Alan Bennett. This was another audio book but as it's only 2.5 hours long, I'm not sure it qualifies for a whole number grin

mumslife Tue 23-Apr-13 20:57:48

just quickly logging in to say now finished book 21 the light years the cazalet chronicals - really long but absolutely loved it. A family saga with loads of characters in it all about nothing much really i couldnt put it down but am guessing its a bit of a marmite type book Not sure what to read next could read the next one but think i will have a change first

MegBusset Thu 25-Apr-13 08:25:52

Finished Anathem - a cracking read which didn't take as long as I thought!

11. From Hell - Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell
12. Room - Emma Donoghue
13. Omon Ra - Victor Pelevin
14. The Knife Of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness
15. The Ask And The Answer - Patrick Ness
16. Monsters Of Men - Patrick Ness
17. Imperium - Ryszard Kapuscinski
18. Anathem - Neal Stephenson

Got a few shorter books on my shelf to read next, will decide what to start with later!

DuchessofMalfi Thu 25-Apr-13 10:58:51

Book 33, finished last night - The Innocents by Francesca Segal. A great read smile

CoteDAzur Thu 25-Apr-13 13:48:50

Meg - You are the only other person I know who has read Anathem smile

It was Neal Stephenson's most challenging book to date, I thought, and it gave me a headache at times (in a good way) but it is a great book. And he is a genius.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now