50 Book Challenge in 2013. Who's with me?

(992 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 05-Jan-13 16:58:16

Tidying up after Christmas it has come to my attention that I have nearly 100(!!) paperbacks in stacks down the side of my bed waiting to be read. blushblush
I am going to challenge myself to try and read at least 50 of them this year. That's nearly one a week so I am going to have to really apply myself and stop faffing around and doing other things when I could be enjoying a good book.
I wondered if anyone else would like to join me? We can post what we are reading and then post when we have finished each book and what's next.
I know I would love to hear what others are reading and enjoying (or not enjoying) so I can go out and buy more books in a few months time!
My first book of the year is President Down by Terence Strong about spies and terrorists which my dad lent me about a year ago! I'm only about 20 pages in, but so far so good.

gailforce1 Thu 28-Mar-13 17:41:21

Nickname I have the Tim Moore book on my "to read list". I have not read any of his books before and not many travelogues either but saw it mentioned somewhere and on the list it went!

linkainka Fri 29-Mar-13 07:15:55

Book 1 Mhairi McFarlane. 'You had me at Hello'. A warm, enchanting but down to earth story about people and relationships. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

minsmum Fri 29-Mar-13 10:34:49

20 The Winter Garden Mystery Carola Dunn

finished book 11 this morning. lisa jackson - left to die. really liked it but after i had finished it i spent the next few hours being really pissed off. it doesnt have an ending. my poor dh... he had to put up with hours of me moaning about it... until i looked up the author and realised there was a part 2 blush so now i have to wait to see it in a charity shop or get desperate and buy it from ebay

book 12 is sophie kinsella - mini shopaholic. have been looking forward to this one for a while now. am nearly half way through already grin

minsmum Fri 29-Mar-13 20:57:20

21 Requiem for a Mezzo by Carola Dunn. I bought the first 4 in the series in a kindle sale ages ago am currently reading the 4th. Really enjoying them but I have just checked and there are 20 I am not supposed to be buying books

shrinkingnora Fri 29-Mar-13 21:03:05

The Ninth Life of Louis Drax was excellent, really interesting and original. Thoroughly recommend this one. Love Liz Jensen anyway but I think this is her best.

greengirlie Fri 29-Mar-13 21:04:46

ooh, ooh, ooh, can i join? cant promise that i will read much highbrow stuff but i am a book worm :D not sure how many i read last year but would have been around the 50 mark give or take. I am one of these people that breaks into a sweat if i haven't got a book lined up when I'm nearing the end of the current read!
hey can i join the cardiff group too... links?
Cheers me dears grin

Finally finished 'Roughing It'. However, I posted about it so long ago I can't remember what no. book it was. #16 I think.

I've just got a stack of books out of the library, and have one from the MN book giveaway last week, and one I bought in the charity shop today. Taking a night off to let my brain wind down from gold prospecting, silver mining, and tours of Hawaii (see above), and then getting stuck into The Agincourt Bride.

shrinkingnora Fri 29-Mar-13 22:32:24

Ok, I've just been given an iPad. I've downloaded iBooks but can't find a single free book that I want to read. Are there any decent free books or am I looking in the wrong place? Or should I resign myself to paying for them?

Allalonenow Fri 29-Mar-13 23:11:40

Go to the Amazon Kindle pages and download the free Kindle app, you will find a huge number of free books there.

minsmum Fri 29-Mar-13 23:49:14

22 murder on the Flying Scotsman Carola Dunn.I have loved these sweet little murder mysteries set in the 1920's.

mumslife Sat 30-Mar-13 09:53:30

sorry correction decided on a very light read next so no 16 is far from the east end by iris jones basically a biography but promises to be a quick and light read interesting though half way through. Just bought the distant hours in kindles deal of the day by Kate Morten A favourite author of mine. i have read several of her others and enjoyed them but this one doesnt get quite as good reviews so will see. Still for 99p cant be bad. Loved the house at riverton by Kate Morton couldnt put it down great twists as well can thoroughly recommend. Also read Forgotten garden last year by Kate Morton also good

Still on book 16 here. I'm about half way through Game of Thrones book 3.

Cardiff I recently read The Lifeboat. It was really good. I'd highly recommend it.

EggBasket Sat 30-Mar-13 23:10:38

11. From Hell - Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell
12. Room - Emma Donoghue
13. Omon Ra - Victor Pelevin
14. The Knife Of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness
15. The Ask And The Answer - Patrick Ness
16. Monsters Of Men - Patrick Ness

A weak ending to the Ness trilogy which I got a bit bogged down with.

tumbletumble Sun 31-Mar-13 08:11:21

Finished book 11 last night - Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway. I'm not normally a fan of fantasy / sci fi, but I enjoyed this mainly due to the cast of interesting, memorable characters. Some strong female characters in particular.

DuchessofMalfi Sun 31-Mar-13 08:17:02

Eggbasket - have you read A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness? I read it last year and thought it was very good.

MrsMaryCooper Sun 31-Mar-13 12:01:06

Finished 27 Gently with the Ladies. All the smoking! True to its time but mindboggling.

Now on 28th Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn and I'm really enjoying it so far, its much better written than I expected.

EggBasket Sun 31-Mar-13 15:02:55

Yes read A Monster Calls for book club last year and thought it was phenomenal. The first two books of the Chaos Walking trilogy live up to it but the third one is a real drop in quality.

Started book 16 - Imperium by Ryszard Kapuscinski (reportage from the former Soviet Union).

EggBasket Sun 31-Mar-13 15:03:12

whoops book 17 not 16!

just finished book 12. sophie kinsella - mini shopaholic. really enjoyed it. hope she brings out another.

am now on 13. lynda la plante - cold shoulder. its a new author for me so i hope its a good one

juneybean Sun 31-Mar-13 15:51:28

13. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

DuchessofMalfi Sun 31-Mar-13 18:05:22

Coming to the end of Book 29 French Children Don't Throw Food by Pamela Druckerman. I've been pleasantly surprised by this book.

I was expecting the author to be claiming to have all the answers, to be preaching the French way of bringing up children. She doesn't. It's a very readable, interesting book.

CoteDAzur Mon 01-Apr-13 09:13:06

11. Paranoia - Joseph Finder

A surprisingly good, very detailed and credible book about corporate espionage, by an author who clearly knows what he is talking about. Highly recommended.

12. World War Z - Max Brooks

I've always thought zombie books/movies are silly, so resisted reading this book for the longest time. It is actually a very good book about the strategies of dealing with a global pandemic and war.

minsmum Mon 01-Apr-13 10:57:47

Just finished book 23 A discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness. I really enjoyed it

I'm an English lit student, so I've read 27 books so far this year. Highlights have been The PowerBook, Nights at the Circus, Oryx & Crake, Lady Chatterly's Lover, and Second Class Citizen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now