50 Book Challenge in 2013. Who's with me?

(992 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 05-Jan-13 16:58:16

Tidying up after Christmas it has come to my attention that I have nearly 100(!!) paperbacks in stacks down the side of my bed waiting to be read. blushblush
I am going to challenge myself to try and read at least 50 of them this year. That's nearly one a week so I am going to have to really apply myself and stop faffing around and doing other things when I could be enjoying a good book.
I wondered if anyone else would like to join me? We can post what we are reading and then post when we have finished each book and what's next.
I know I would love to hear what others are reading and enjoying (or not enjoying) so I can go out and buy more books in a few months time!
My first book of the year is President Down by Terence Strong about spies and terrorists which my dad lent me about a year ago! I'm only about 20 pages in, but so far so good.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 13-Feb-13 15:14:44

I loved The Etymologicon. Wasn't sure whether to read The Horologicon, but you may have just persuaded me Nickname grin

NicknameTaken Wed 13-Feb-13 15:20:16

It's just as good, honest!

I had to give up on the Zafon because I realised very quickly that I needed to re-read the first one, so now tackling Game of Thrones

NicknameTaken Thu 14-Feb-13 09:33:47

I seemed to have struck a good run of books. I've justed started the biography of Patrick Leigh Fermor, and I think the biographer has hit exactly the right note - she's captured his sense of wonder and enthusiasm, while gently pointing out that you can't always entirely trust his memory of events, and she does so with great affection.

SuperScribbler Thu 14-Feb-13 12:21:32

Finished The Robsart Mystery. It was ok for what it was - a typical hist-myst, easy to read, no great thought required.

Book 18: War Crimes for rhe Home by Liz Jensen. Already being drawn in after only 5 pages.

Allalonenow Thu 14-Feb-13 23:39:40

Ooh Nickname I'm a fan of Patrick Leigh Fermor, who is the author of his biography? I'd like to read "Ill met by Moonlight" too.

MrsMaryCooper Fri 15-Feb-13 08:42:08

Finished No 17 Red Bones - Ann Cleevely and now working on No 18 Blue Lightning also Ann Cleevley.

I love it when i find a new author that I like and I can read all their books one after another.

NicknameTaken Fri 15-Feb-13 10:12:10

Allalone, the biography is by Artemis Cooper. She is the daughter of John Julius Norwich (I love his books on Byzantium) and PLF was a family friend.

Mary, I did the same thing with the Ann Cleeves Shetland series - I think she is much better than Ian Rankin.

Just to confuse everyone, I've NC'd (was NotGeoff)

No.11 Point of Origin - Patricia Cornwell done. Well, there was one thing in there I didn't see coming, and had to read it a few times to let it sink in!

Now on No. 12 Lee Mack's autobiography - Mack the Life. So far, pretty amusing.

Nothing planned for No. 13 onwards. Someone mentioned one about the tudor period earlier - something about the Sonne (Sun, I presume). If I can find the title, I might go for trying to get it via the library.

NicknameTaken Fri 15-Feb-13 10:15:33

The Sunne in its Splendour?

Allalonenow Fri 15-Feb-13 11:41:24

Thanks Nickname I'll certainly get that, yy to JJN, I used to love him on the radio, and his TV programmes.

MrsC, as Nickname says, you could be thinking of "The Sunne in Splendour" by Sharon Penman, though it is about Richard III rather than the Tudors.

Thanks Nickname and Allalone yes that's the one I was thinking of - wrong period of history, right book! I tracked it down for reservation from the local library.

I've also reserved The Etymologicon which Dutchess mentioned.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 16-Feb-13 09:41:29

I wish I could go to the library MrsCosmo, but I just don't trust myself! There's still too much in the Massive Stack for me to contemplate libraries and bookshops yet.

That said there is one less book now. I tried and tried and really persevered with The Wrecker by Clive Cussler but its just not a very good story. I feel like I should really be enjoying it, but I'm not. And now I'm really pissed off that I've wasted a week trying to enjoy a book when I should have just moved on to the next one.

So book six (now I'm really lagging behind) is The Race by Richard North Patterson.

Allalonenow Sat 16-Feb-13 13:20:02

Book 8 ~ "The Silver Mist" by Martin Treanor, set in NI during the early 1970s, Eve tells the tale of her family caught up in the 'Troubles'.
With a narrative voice reminiscent of that of Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones", it was an ultimately uplifting read.

Feel I am rather lagging behind too. Today I've bought the Partick Moore autobiography for 99 pence from Amazon Kindle, I loved his enthusiasm for his subject.

PurpleStorm Sat 16-Feb-13 14:46:19

No 9 - "The Long Earth" by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. Really enjoyed reading this and am looking forward to the sequel being published.

tumbletumble Sat 16-Feb-13 17:03:48

Just checking in to say I'm still wading through A Prayer For Owen Meany - I'm sort of enjoying it but keep falling asleep while reading it! hmm

Really interesting to hear what everyone is reading. I've added a few to my 'to read' list as well! I loved The Old Wives Tale years ago - may have to read some more of the Five Towns books.

This week I finished Capital by John Lanchaster, which I really enjoyed, and then Anybody Out There? By Marian Keyes, which I LOVED, despite crying so much all my mascara streaked down my face.
Am about to embark on book 15 (i think), Eleven by Mark somebody.

Sonnet Sat 16-Feb-13 21:51:38

Just finished book 6 - the capital
Not sure what I thought if it really. It started out well but seemed to promise more than it actually delivered.

Just started book 7 - raven black by Ann Cleeves. A recommendation from this thread smile

minsmum Sat 16-Feb-13 23:02:03

Book 12 The War Poems of Seigfrid Sassoon. I have been reading one a day and have finished them.
Book 13 The Thirty Nine Steps by John Buchan which though a rollicking good read rather shocked me with its anti semitism. How times have changed I don't think it would get published today.

Thefourcees Sun 17-Feb-13 11:18:40

Finally finished The Stand, I'm glad I pushed on and finished it, now on to no.7 which is going to be The Help Kathryn Stockett. Looking forward to this one.

I've been off reading for a few days due to the mother of all migraines, but hoping to get back into Game of Thrones this eve.

MrsMaryCooper Mon 18-Feb-13 07:36:53

Finished No 19 Dark Water - Ann Cleeves , which is the latest one in the Shetland series and I enjoyed it, although I think that Blue Lightning is the best in the series.

Now on No 20 Hidden Depths - Ann Cleeves! This is one of her Vera Stanhope sereis.

MegBusset Mon 18-Feb-13 08:22:53

Finished book 9 - The Hand That First Held Mine - was really good.

1. Edge Of The Orison - Iain Sinclair
2. The Year 1000 - Robert Lacey
3. The Clay Machine Gun - Victor Pelevin
4. V For Vendetta - Alan Moore & David Lloyd
5. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
6. A History Of England Vol 1: Foundation - Peter Ackroyd
7. The Death Of Grass - John Christopher
8. The Finkler Question - Howard Jacobson
9. The Hand That First Held Mine - Maggie O'Farrell

I loved The Hand That First Held Mine too, MegBusset though I sobbed through the last quarter of it!

Galaxymum Mon 18-Feb-13 10:44:45

I finished book 8 last night. Phantom by Jo Nesbo which I enjoyed very much. Great series and now in search for another similar style series. Not found another as yet.

Next in The Sunne in Splendour which I started on kindle last night. I may be a while! Looking great so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now