50 Book Challenge in 2013. Who's with me?

(992 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 05-Jan-13 16:58:16

Tidying up after Christmas it has come to my attention that I have nearly 100(!!) paperbacks in stacks down the side of my bed waiting to be read. blushblush
I am going to challenge myself to try and read at least 50 of them this year. That's nearly one a week so I am going to have to really apply myself and stop faffing around and doing other things when I could be enjoying a good book.
I wondered if anyone else would like to join me? We can post what we are reading and then post when we have finished each book and what's next.
I know I would love to hear what others are reading and enjoying (or not enjoying) so I can go out and buy more books in a few months time!
My first book of the year is President Down by Terence Strong about spies and terrorists which my dad lent me about a year ago! I'm only about 20 pages in, but so far so good.

MegBusset Fri 08-Feb-13 00:05:38

Book 7 finished. No duds so far. Now got an empty to-read shelf, will have to reread something before my Amazon order arrives!

1. Edge Of The Orison - Iain Sinclair
2. The Year 1000 - Robert Lacey
3. The Clay Machine Gun - Victor Pelevin
4. V For Vendetta - Alan Moore & David Lloyd
5. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
6. A History Of England Vol 1: Foundation - Peter Ackroyd
7. The Death Of Grass - John Christopher

minsmum Fri 08-Feb-13 13:26:17

Allalone are they good then, should I add them to my ever growing list of books to be read ?.
I thought that by trying to meet this challenge that my list of books to be read would get smaller but its just getting longer and longer

shrinkingnora Fri 08-Feb-13 13:38:32

I have randomly started Middlemarch! It's good but I think it's going to take a while...

Schnarkle Fri 08-Feb-13 14:19:55

I've taken up reading Running Blind - Lee Child along side Catch 22. This thread idea has transformed my reading habits.

Allalonenow Fri 08-Feb-13 14:29:09

minsmum Oh yes I'm sure you would enjoy them, 'Clayhanger' and 'Hilda Lessways', 'The Card', 'Anna of the Five Towns'. Wonderful characters and touches of clever gentle humour. If you have a Kindle, they are available free from Amazon.

Yes, I agree, I thought my TBR list would shrink, but it is ever expanding, and now I feel I should re read Middlemarch!

highlandcoo Fri 08-Feb-13 16:10:27

Hi Allalonenow and minsmum. I'm also a huge Arnold Bennett fan - The Old Wives' Tale is one of my favourite novels.

Two quite random recommendations for you : The Northern Clemency by Philip Hensher and The Makioka Sisters by Tanazaki Junichiro. The first set in Sheffield in the 70s/80s, and the second in Osaka and Tokyo in the mid-20th century, so on the surface very different themes, but these books really reminded me of Arnold Bennett in the way the authors described ordinary people's lives so fully and unhurriedly .. if you like a slow absorbing read take a look at them smile

highlandcoo Fri 08-Feb-13 16:17:58

Forgot to list what I've read this year so far :

1. Parade's End - Ford Madox Ford (read first section and will return to later)
2. Bitter Water - Gordon Ferris
3. To the End of the Land - David Grossman
4. The Makioka Sisters - Junichiro Tanizaki
5. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion - Yukio Mishima
6. How to be a Good Wife - Emma Chapman
7. Blossoms and Shadows - Lian Hearn
8. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce
9. The Box Man - Kobo Abe

Next book will be Some Prefer Nettles - Tanizaki again. I'm aiming to read as many Japanese novels as I can before going there in March.

PurpleStorm Fri 08-Feb-13 19:54:35

Checking back in with -

4. Frances Osburne - The Bolter (biography of Idina Sackville)
5. Pamela Druckerman - French Children Don't Throw Food
6. Sarah Rayner - The Two Week Wait
7. Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere

Currently reading James Herbert - The Secret of Crickley Hall. I was inspired to buy this after watching the TV adaptation last year.

PurpleStorm how did you find French Children Don't Throw Food? I'm half way through and fascinated by it. It isn't at all what I expected.

Allalonenow Fri 08-Feb-13 21:08:15

Hello highland
Nice to meet another Arnold Bennett fan, I think his work is of its time, yet timeless, his characterization and capture of place are unbeatable.

Many thanks for the interesting recommendations, I'll certainly have a look at them. One of the delights of this thread is the discovery of new writers.

I am quite envious of your trip to Japan; what an adventure.

MegBusset Fri 08-Feb-13 21:28:03

Started book 8 - in the absence of my own book to read, am reading one lent to me ages ago by my mum - The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson (Booker Prizewinner 2010). I tried reading it last year but couldn't get into it and gave up around p50, might as well keep going while I wait for my Amazon order to arrive.

Am now reading Capital by John Lancaster. Rather enjoying it; it reminds me of Casual Vacancy (which I really liked) and something else I can't quite put my finger on.

Book 9 - "French Children Don't Throw Food" completed. Found it really interesting.

Between that, I've also read book 10- "QI 1227 facts to blow your socks off". Just what it says really. Some interesting stuff, but nothing that really blew me away.

Book 11 will be a bit more lighthearted. "Getting Rid Of Matthew" by Jane Fallon.

MrsMaryCooper Sat 09-Feb-13 06:37:02

14 was going to be Nice Weekend for a Murder - Max Allan Collins, but I ditched it because I was bored and didn't like his writing style or the characters much, so it was The Chosen Dead - MR Hall which I enjoyed and raced throw.

It's part of a series with the coroner Jenny Cooper, she is a gripping lead but I can't help but feel she would be monumental PITA to know or work with.

And Number 15 is Tuesday's Gone - Nicci French

minsmum Sat 09-Feb-13 08:53:52

Finished Riot Act by Zoe Sharp last night totally gripping couldn't put it down finally finished at 2am. I am too tired this morning to decide what's next but feeling quite pleased that I have finished 10 books already

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 09-Feb-13 09:51:24

Finished The Line Of Beauty last night, so moving on now to book 7.

PerksOfBeingNorthern Sat 09-Feb-13 10:17:58

Nickname I don't know much, became interested after the BBC three parter on Victoria's Chidren (only in the girls though!) Have resolved to include a few non-fics in my 50 so may start by looking for this in the library, thanks grin

PurpleStorm Sat 09-Feb-13 13:41:07

WednesdayNext - I really enjoyed reading French Children Don't Throw Food. I found the descriptions of French parenting styles really interesting.

CoteDAzur Sat 09-Feb-13 15:30:42

I'm at 6% (on Kindle) of David Brin's Existence and honestly have No Idea what the author is on about shock Pushing through with all I've got, but seriously confused, especially with the introduction of a new character every couple of pages!

No. 9 'How to be a woman' - Caitlin Moran just finished. Can't recommend it highly enough. Provides laughter, tears and much food for thought. Just read it. Even if you are opposed to swearing. Read it!

I started no. 10. When will there be good news? - Kate Atkinson yesterday. I've had to fight myself to put it down. It's totally compelling. I need to know what is happening, every minute. Even when I put it down to do RL stuff. And I'm out tonight and won't be able to finish it.

Allalonenow Sat 09-Feb-13 17:28:30

Book 7 ~ "A Family Affair" by Mary Campisi, family secrets revealed following the death of a hero - worshipped father. I found it a very predictable plot, with characters that I kept hoping I would engage with, but never did.

Why are American writers so fixated on the clothes their characters wear? I can understand a brief snapshot when first introducing a character, but I don't need to know what they wear every day of the action. Campisi tells us the colour of every shirt, skirt and pair of chinos, I'm amazed she didn't give colours of boxers and bras too.

Sonnet Sat 09-Feb-13 20:01:04

I have read thus thread so many times but have never got to the end as have been distracted by all the book suggestions!!!!

I would like to join please!
I have read so far this year:
Winters of the world
The other Boleyn girl
One good turn
The Lewis Man
Pastures nouveau

I have just started capital by John Lanchester

My one aim this year is to read wolf Hall. I have started it and then abandoned it for some reason!

Sonnet Sat 09-Feb-13 20:03:45

NotGeoffVarder - I loved when will there be good news

Galaxymum Sun 10-Feb-13 13:22:11

Finished book 8 - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Really enjoyed this thriller and I was so immersed in it I was disappointed when I reached the conclusion. I just wanted it to continue. Great writing and I will definitely read her other novels.

Book 9 is Phantom by Jo Nesbo. I am trying hard to stick with books to read on my bookshelf and kindle.

Finished "Getting Rid Of Matthew". I surprised myself by enjoying it for the most part, and for wanting the OW to live happily ever after. I am disappointed in what I felt was a rush towards the ending and some unfinished loose ends, but still enjoyed reading it.

Book 12 is "Smut" by Alan Bennett. It's been gathering dust on my shelf for quite some time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now