50 Book Challenge in 2013. Who's with me?

(992 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 05-Jan-13 16:58:16

Tidying up after Christmas it has come to my attention that I have nearly 100(!!) paperbacks in stacks down the side of my bed waiting to be read. blushblush
I am going to challenge myself to try and read at least 50 of them this year. That's nearly one a week so I am going to have to really apply myself and stop faffing around and doing other things when I could be enjoying a good book.
I wondered if anyone else would like to join me? We can post what we are reading and then post when we have finished each book and what's next.
I know I would love to hear what others are reading and enjoying (or not enjoying) so I can go out and buy more books in a few months time!
My first book of the year is President Down by Terence Strong about spies and terrorists which my dad lent me about a year ago! I'm only about 20 pages in, but so far so good.

SuperScribbler Sat 05-Jan-13 19:11:34

I enjoyed the Lewis Man, but not as much as The Blackhouse. Enough to getvthe third book when it comes out soon. It's easy to read, escapist stuff.

Cherrypi Sat 05-Jan-13 19:17:42

I'm in. Also taking part in an alphabet challenge to read 26 books in order of author surname. Struggling with Northanger Abbey at the moment. Just not in the zone.

FlyOverTheMistletoe Sat 05-Jan-13 19:36:56

Cherrypi - its not you - its the book, find something else

tumbletumble Sat 05-Jan-13 19:49:25

I'm in. Not sure I'll make it to 50 but I'll give it a try!

'Northanger Abbey' is lovely but if you've never read any Austen before, it's probably not an ideal start. It also works a lot better if you've read some of the silly gothic novels it parodies. If you really want to read an Austen, I think 'P&P' is probably the best place to start, as most people know half of the story anyway!

Cherrypi Sat 05-Jan-13 20:30:57

It's the only Austen I've not read. Still in mourning for Mr Penumbra's 24 hour bookstore which I adored. May read some Douglas Adams instead for A.

Shellwedance Sat 05-Jan-13 20:37:01

Def want to do this, have so many I need to read and need this thread to keep me focussed.

Currently reading Mary Ann in Autumn, the last in the Tales of the City series. So far, so good.

moonshine Sat 05-Jan-13 21:04:26

I'm in, although I doubt I'll get near 50 - I absolutely love reading and reading about books but, frustratingly, am a slow reader, although having a kindle has helped me to read more in the past 2 years.

I'm cheating slightly as started London by Edward Rutherfurd at the beginning of Xmas school holidays and am on the cusp of finishing it (which is very quick for me as it has more than 1000 pages!). I also like to read quite a bit of non-fiction so I'll be throwing that into the mix, if that's ok.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 05-Jan-13 21:47:26

Wow! What a lot of replies! I'm really looking forward to reading about what everyone else is reading.
Cherry, I haven't read Northanger Abbey, but I think that is because my mum told me it was rubbish when I was going through an Austen/Bronte phase in my teens. She suggested Emma and P&P instead, both of which I enjoyed.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 05-Jan-13 21:49:47

Moonshine - there are really no rules about what you can/cannot read as far as I'm concerned. I have some non-fiction in the Massive Stack. I try to shake things up every now and again and throw in some non fiction or an (auto)biography. I can't survive on novels alone!

minsmum Sat 05-Jan-13 22:00:36

Can I join you. I have loads of books on my kindle that I need to read,doesn't stop me buying more though. I have just started the new Karen Rose ,then it's an Allan Massie book I've borrowed that needs to go back. Not sure I can manage the target but I would like to try.

Festivedidi Sat 05-Jan-13 22:39:34

Duchess are you happy for anybody to join your group on Goodreads? I'd never heard of it before but quite fancy joining.

mumslife Sat 05-Jan-13 22:44:59

Can I join? i read about 35 last year some on my kindle and some paperbacks but have loads on my kindle to read and loads of paperbacks. Its getting a bit ridiculous and I have just bought some more for my kindle in the 12 days of kindle sale. i have read one book so far this year night road by Kirsten Hannah paperback and am now reading on my kindle A brokeN family by kitty neal so back to it I suppose. Interesting reading what everyone else is reading!

Festivedidi Sat 05-Jan-13 23:24:59

I'm assuming children's books don't count because I could list One Ted Fell Out of Bed every night this week and recite it if you ask me to.

I'm currently reading the "Kate Daniels" series by Ilona Andrews, I'm nearly finished book 2 and I only downloaded them on Wednesday. They're very good if you like werewolves, vampires, etc.

minsmum Sat 05-Jan-13 23:28:28

I am trying to ignore the new Karen Chance book until after the kindle sale but it's hard going

judefawley Sat 05-Jan-13 23:31:41

I'm in. Was rubbish last year and read about 15 books - all year!

Shocking.

I'm easing myself in gently with a bit of fluff, Philippa Gregory's 'the lady of the rivers'.

I'm supposed to be reading Wolf Hall for bookclub.

XBenedict Sat 05-Jan-13 23:32:38

I'm in too, just joined GoodReads on facebook. About to start The Language of Flowers.

PeppaPrig Sat 05-Jan-13 23:32:50

I'm in, and will decide what to read tomorrow.

Southeastdweller Sat 05-Jan-13 23:40:42

I'm also in. I have a stack of books at home and on my Kindle to get through. I think I read about 20 last year - I faff around doing other things which slows me down. I also don't like really long books - 400 pages or more. The reviews for the latest John Lanchester book were all great but having picked it up today the brick size is putting me off.

I'm now on I Feel Bad About My Neck, by Nora Ephron. Very funny and thought-provoking. Love her writing and it's quite short too. May start the latest Zadie Smith book after that one.

SkyBean Sun 06-Jan-13 04:10:05

I'm in! Hello...this is also my first delurking post on mumsnet...

I can do a book a week based on around half an hour each way on tube on weekday commutes...

I too have a tottering pile of to be reads...that is now an official health hazard....plus mini tottering stacks around and under the bed (and double stacking on shelves). Oh dear.

DuchessofMalfi Sun 06-Jan-13 07:24:56

Festive yes everyone is welcome. Juneybean started the group last year and it's been growing steadily. We have our own discussion threads and group reads. We're currently reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

The more people who join, the better smile

MercuryRising Sun 06-Jan-13 07:54:37

Im in! I love reading but don't make enough time for it instead I end up watching mindless drivel on the TV. I'm not sure if I will manage 50, but at least this thread will encourage me to make time to read. Im reading The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton at the moment and quite enjoying it.

MirandaWest Sun 06-Jan-13 08:07:54

I've already decided I want to read more - used to read a lot but this past year I have been doing too much mumsnet and too many other things. 50 books in the year sounds acheivable smile

MegBusset Sun 06-Jan-13 08:20:12

I'll give it a go smile Would love to read more instead of vegging in front of Celeb BB and Mumsnet mindless rubbish.

Currently reading 'Edge of the Orison' by Iain Sinclair.

overflowingmum Sun 06-Jan-13 11:51:08

me!!
I had already said I was going to try to read 52 books this year - quite a challenge for me!! Might make it to 50 if I try really hard....trouble is I also want to do more gardening, dog training and baking and photography.....not to mention working almost full time and having 6 DC LOL So many hobbies....so little time!
BUT I will go for it.... Have just joined goodreads so will go and look for the group( still figuring out how it works!! blush)
Have so far read:
"The Snow Child" and "My Sister Lives on the Mantle Piece" since Jan1st...
Now reading The Bell Jar....trying to get into it...hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now