50 Book Challenge in 2013. Who's with me?

(992 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 05-Jan-13 16:58:16

Tidying up after Christmas it has come to my attention that I have nearly 100(!!) paperbacks in stacks down the side of my bed waiting to be read. blushblush
I am going to challenge myself to try and read at least 50 of them this year. That's nearly one a week so I am going to have to really apply myself and stop faffing around and doing other things when I could be enjoying a good book.
I wondered if anyone else would like to join me? We can post what we are reading and then post when we have finished each book and what's next.
I know I would love to hear what others are reading and enjoying (or not enjoying) so I can go out and buy more books in a few months time!
My first book of the year is President Down by Terence Strong about spies and terrorists which my dad lent me about a year ago! I'm only about 20 pages in, but so far so good.

Thanks tumbletumble I started the Dawn French but that will definitely be my next book!!

Cherrypi Wed 23-Jan-13 19:16:15

I quite fancy the new Dawn French. I listened to her first one and it was excellent. Finished Alys, always (3).

I'm just a few chapters in Cherrypi and it's not bad so far

I'm whizzing through 'The Fast Diet' and am surprised how enjoyable it is to read. Should be ready to start the diet and a new book on Monday.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Thu 24-Jan-13 09:58:59

I have finished my third book last night which was The Gate House by Nelson DeMille. It was really long but I really enjoyed it. I realised after about 30 pages that it is the sequel to a book I read about 10 years ago so it was nice to be reunited with some familiar characters and locations. DeMille writes with great humour as well and is very witty.

Next is book number four. It's called The Doomsday Prophecy by Scott Mariani. I have never heard of the author before. My dad leant me it and I think it might be one he picked up when he was looking for a third book to complete a Waterstones 3 for 2 deal!

It says on the front "Fans of Dan Brown will love this thrilling adventure." So we shall see.......

ela01 Thu 24-Jan-13 10:01:11

I started Game of Thrones at Christmas and will probably finish the whole lot by next Christmas....soooooo long

Have joined Duchess's Goodreads bookclub and am now ridiculously excited grin

NicknameTaken Thu 24-Jan-13 10:48:23

Finished Dark Places and now reading The Great Charles Dickens Scandal. For no obvious reason, I like books about authors' posthumous reputations. This one is not one of the better examples of the genre - a bit stolid.

Allalonenow Thu 24-Jan-13 12:11:10

I've finished book number 3, The Hundred Year Old Man.... by Jonas Jonasson. I didn't find any of the characters endearing, it was more a romp through an I Spy Book of World Leaders and Ideologies. I felt it was often close to tipping into magic realism, which I'm not a fan of.

Not sure what to read next, am going to read this thread again for some ideas, am wondering what Game of Thrones is like as its often mentioned.

In the meantime, have read The Kafenion, a short story by Victoria Hislop, very typical of her writing.

While looking at Amazon Kindle for inspiration, I noticed that Winter in Madrid by C. J. Sanson is still priced at 20 pence. I really enjoyed it when I read it just before Christmas, and at 20 pence it is a bargain.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Thu 24-Jan-13 12:33:57

If I read through the Massive Stack in order of how they are stacked now Winter In Madrid will be my 18th book this year! Heartstone also by CJ Sansom will be book number 14.

I too have often looked at Game Of Thrones and then backed away at the last minute.

MandMills Thu 24-Jan-13 13:39:07

Hello
One of my new years resolutions is to read more books and be more positive so to combine the both I've recently read 'The Gift' by Shad Helmstetter, its an amazing book about looking at yourself and the decisions you make in a more positive light. Its easy to read and has given me such a confidence boost in so many different areas of my life.

Definately worth a read, so enjoy and let me know what you think (also its only £5.58 on Amazon!) smile

Dragontrainer Thu 24-Jan-13 13:52:38

Allalone - I kind of agree with you about the 100 Year Old Man. I chose it because I had just finished John Saturnall's Feast, (enjoyable but I did have to concentrate hard) and wanted something a bit lighter. I felt quite underwhelmed by the 100 Year Old Man and did wonder which twentieth century leader/dictator they were going to dig up next!

Now moving on to the House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz. I used to like reading a bit of good old Sherlock Holmes, so hopefully this one should be a hit, though I am always a bit suspicious of books that "borrow" characters and stories!

Schnarkle Thu 24-Jan-13 14:31:53

We're all flying along, I'm really enjoying this challenge.

Finished up with The Handmaids Tale the other night. A good read, really enjoyed it.

I started on The Quiet Room last night for something completely different. Book 5.

acsec Thu 24-Jan-13 20:59:40

I'm some of the way through book 2 (which is one I'm reading to 8 yr old DSS - The Adventures of Jimmy Scar by Jeanne Willis) and I'm starting boy 3 later Raising Boys by Steve Biddulph

Had a bit of a bad week. Dad very Ill and eldest dd playing up so fell a bit behind with my reading.
I gave up in the 100 year old man. I just didn't like it.
I finished The Long Walk yesterday and really enjoyed it, moved onto Roadrage now.

1. The Unit
2. The Long Walk

Brockle Fri 25-Jan-13 09:25:44

let us know what you think of book 3 acsec. I have three boys and was thinking of buying it.

NicknameTaken Fri 25-Jan-13 09:32:51

Dragon, I liked House of Silk. I read it and PD James crime version of Pride and Prejudice, and I thought House of Silk was much better.

NicknameTaken Fri 25-Jan-13 09:33:18

I read the Horowitz and the James books at the same, I meant.

shrinkingnora Fri 25-Jan-13 09:39:21

House of Silk was excellent - my next book is now The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes which I am LOVING.

Thefourcees Fri 25-Jan-13 12:19:11

Just finished The Long Walk, really enjoyed it, no 5 is going to be The Expats by Chris Pavone.

PerksOfBeingNorthern Fri 25-Jan-13 12:38:08

Update- 5) Patsy Collins - Escape To The Country
6) Kenneth Grahame - Wind in the Willows
7) Stephen Chbosky - Perks Of Being A Wallflower
8) Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist
9) Ali McNamara - From Notting Hill with Love Actually
Having a break to decide on number 10, only really enjoyed Chbosky grin

MegBusset Fri 25-Jan-13 16:15:25

Just finished book 4. So that's...

1. Edge Of The Orison - Iain Sinclair
2. The Year 1000 - Robert Lacey
3. The Clay Machine Gun - Victor Pelevin
4. V For Vendetta - Alan Moore & David Lloyd

V For Vendetta was absolutely brilliant. Having read a synopsis of the film, which differs a fair bit from the graphic novel (and which Alan Moore refused to have anything to do with), I don't really think I want to watch it.

SuperScribbler Fri 25-Jan-13 16:40:25

Nerherwood continued in the Catherine Cookson style, so was not my thing at all. Also felt the heroine's fledgling business blossomed far too quickly and easily and so I found it hard to stop snorting with disbelief.

Book number 9 is Snowdrops by A D Miller.

MrsMaryCooper Fri 25-Jan-13 20:24:03

Finished Dying Fall - Elly Griffiths

Now on to Number 11. I'm going to try the Life of Pi.

PennieLane Fri 25-Jan-13 22:26:28

Can I join? Excellent thread. I read 30 books last year and would like to push myself to more, just working through The Casual Vacancy at moment. Next is a graphic novel, The Sandcastle and then To A God Unknown.

Really interesting to hear what you're all reading!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now